@AdamWolff

#222 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

At least Unseld is the singular great figure in the history of the franchise, so he got to stick around forever. How Grunfeld keeps a job is almost unbelievable.

Very true. Wes was also a bridge between Baltimore and DC as he was drafted in 68' by the Baltimore Bullets from the ABA. His stints in the front office and the bench (202-345) 37% winning pct. were forgettable to say the least.

#223 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:16 AM

Very true. Wes was also a bridge between Baltimore and DC as he was drafted in 68' by the Baltimore Bullets from the ABA. His stints in the front office and the bench (202-345) 37% winning pct. were forgettable to say the least.

As what has been often said about Pollin, he had too much patience except when it came to MJ. (And while that was PR-wise, a bad move, it was the right move ultimately)

@levineps

#224 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:30 PM

The whole Jordan fiasco was another strange blip in the Wizards/Bullets franchise history. Jordan the part owner still wanted to play and soon it was to be. Selling out nightly both seats and jerseys that bore his name. For an old guy he could still ball but his ego continually got in the way of leading his teammates to victories instead of inspiring them to greater things like say a playoff appearance.

The whole arrangement was awkwardly set up and horribly executed. He would be the star of a team he created and a coach he'd handpicked in Doug Collins.

That's where the player and executive roles clashed. Young All-Star Richard Hamilton tells you to your face that you're a spoiled arrogant me-first teammate so you trade him for another guy more like yourself in Jerry Stackhouse. You draft way too young Kwame Brown and then publicly berate him for acting like a high schooler - which he was. 

You'd think that having the greatest basketball player of all-time in your organization could only be a good thing but that's not always the case. 

• BSLChrisStoner and Adam Wolff like this

#225 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:38 AM

The whole Jordan fiasco was another strange blip in the Wizards/Bullets franchise history. Jordan the part owner still wanted to play and soon it was to be. Selling out nightly both seats and jerseys that bore his name. For an old guy he could still ball but his ego continually got in the way of leading his teammates to victories instead of inspiring them to greater things like say a playoff appearance.

The whole arrangement was awkwardly set up and horribly executed. He would be the star of a team he created and a coach he'd handpicked in Doug Collins.

That's where the player and executive roles clashed. Young All-Star Richard Hamilton tells you to your face that you're a spoiled arrogant me-first teammate so you trade him for another guy more like yourself in Jerry Stackhouse. You draft way too young Kwame Brown and then publicly berate him for acting like a high schooler - which he was. 

You'd think that having the greatest basketball player of all-time in your organization could only be a good thing but that's not always the case. 

It was a good quick-fix for the organization. Even if they weren't good in the standings, they were relevant. It made for an incredibly awkward but correct decision-divorce as well. Abe Pollin after all was known for being too patient. The joke was except for MJ. There's no way MJ could comeback to that club with what had happened during his playing tenure. Pollin rightfully took heat for it (when you fire the world's best athlete, even if they are a failed exec, it will happen) and he sure wouldn't have played if he knew the end result. That happens in life though, circumstances change.

@levineps

#226 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

Porter is a great player, but I don't necessarily agree with the Wizards going with him 3rd overall. Porter is a great shooter, but their perimeter game is set with Wall and Beale. What they really need are more options in the paint. Unless they can get options in the paint, Chicago and Indy are going to beat the Wizards senseless. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#227 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Porter is a great player, but I don't necessarily agree with the Wizards going with him 3rd overall. Porter is a great shooter, but their perimeter game is set with Wall and Beale. What they really need are more options in the paint. Unless they can get options in the paint, Chicago and Indy are going to beat the Wizards senseless. 

Well right now the Wizards can't be too concerned with beating Chicago and Indy. 

And you're wrong about Wall being a perimeter player at least in terms of where he is an effective scorer.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#228 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Well right now the Wizards can't be too concerned with beating Chicago and Indy. 

And you're wrong about Wall being a perimeter player at least in terms of where he is an effective scorer.

That and it's not like there was some sure thing big forward there for the taking either, they all had questions too, which is why this was a bad draft. At least Porter is well-balanced.

@JeremyMStrain

#229 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

That and it's not like there was some sure thing big forward there for the taking either, they all had questions too, which is why this was a bad draft. At least Porter is well-balanced.

Bennett not being available all but secured Porter to Washington. Bennett would have been a perfect fit for the Wizards. And for all the "Wizards shouldn't be concerned with competing with the Bulls and Pacers" comments, the Wizards aren't that far off. And they're going to have to address that if they ever want to do anything in the playoffs. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#230 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

Bennett not being available all but secured Porter to Washington. Bennett would have been a perfect fit for the Wizards. And for all the "Wizards shouldn't be concerned with competing with the Bulls and Pacers" comments, the Wizards aren't that far off. And they're going to have to address that if they ever want to do anything in the playoffs. 

I agree with that for the most part, but I don't agree Bennett is a perfect fit, he's got holes in his game too, and he's more of an offensive guy that moves well from what I read. Similar play style to Porter except he'd do it from the 4 not the 3.

If we can't upgrade Nene or Okafor, getting a versatile 3 that can play D, pass and score with a good jump shot is a great fit. Wall isn't a shooter, he's an athlete. If we played a team with a big strong front, we'd get shut down without at least one other shooter on the floor to go with Beal.

@JeremyMStrain

#231 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

How do you guys feel about Glen Rice Jr?  He tore up the D league last season.  When he was supposed to be a sophmore in school.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#232 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,364 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

How do you guys feel about Glen Rice Jr?  He tore up the D league last season.  When he was supposed to be a sophmore in school.

Supposed to have grown up a lot last year, like you said he gained that professional experience and performed well. Won't be surprised to see him perform well as an adequate backup.

#233 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Bullets Forever: The Washington Wizards' salary-cap situation is tricky

http://www.bulletsfo...y-cap-situation

Good stuff from Mike Prada over at Bullets Forever, detailing the Wizards cap situation and serving as a good primer for the Wizards offseason.

@AdamWolff

#234 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

It was a good quick-fix for the organization. Even if they weren't good in the standings, they were relevant. It made for an incredibly awkward but correct decision-divorce as well. Abe Pollin after all was known for being too patient. The joke was except for MJ. There's no way MJ could comeback to that club with what had happened during his playing tenure. Pollin rightfully took heat for it (when you fire the world's best athlete, even if they are a failed exec, it will happen) and he sure wouldn't have played if he knew the end result. That happens in life though, circumstances change.

It did provide the Wiz with short term relevance but only because Jordan was on the floor and could still capture moments of greatness with a ball in his hands. He put people in seats and sold jerseys. I can see where ownership would see bringing Jordan in as a can't miss opportunity only problem was Jordan simply wasn't a good evaluator of talent nor was he able to corral his ego to help build a team among those he played with. He thought he could be a great coach. He couldn't even get along with his teammates.

I watched the 60 minutes interview as well. My only question still is - did the Wiz ask/beg him to play or did Jordan insist? I've read conflicting reports as to the answer. 

Either way I think if Jordan was being brought in as a part-owner he needed to stay in that role and focus on learning how to do the job to the best of his ability. I realize that the the temptation to cash in one of the greats of the game who still had mileage left was great but it's yet another move in the history of the franchise that has sacrificed consistent long term success over the quick-fix route.

#235 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

It did provide the Wiz with short term relevance but only because Jordan was on the floor and could still capture moments of greatness with a ball in his hands. He put people in seats and sold jerseys. I can see where ownership would see bringing Jordan in as a can't miss opportunity only problem was Jordan simply wasn't a good evaluator of talent nor was he able to corral his ego to help build a team among those he played with. He thought he could be a great coach. He couldn't even get along with his teammates.

I watched the 60 minutes interview as well. My only question still is - did the Wiz ask/beg him to play or did Jordan insist? I've read conflicting reports as to the answer. 

Either way I think if Jordan was being brought in as a part-owner he needed to stay in that role and focus on learning how to do the job to the best of his ability. I realize that the the temptation to cash in one of the greats of the game who still had mileage left was great but it's yet another move in the history of the franchise that has sacrificed consistent long term success over the quick-fix route.

Right, it was a good short-term solution for both the Wizards and MJ, but long-term solution for both parties. The Wizards got a boost of publicity/revenue that they wouldn't have gotten other, MJ got to play on his last legs. While it did stunt their development, I can't blame the Wizards whatsoever for trying to cash in here. This was a franchise that had spent the better part of the previous 20+ years. largely irrelevant. Pollin really had no choice but to cut ties with him. Not easy (and really fair since he played with the understanding he'd get his job back) firing possibly the best athete of all-time, but it was something that had to be done. In retrospect, he should've moved to DC upon becoming part-owner and taken more of a apprentice type role before becoming a full-time GM.

When you are so good at your craft like MJ is at basketball (playing) -- it must be even more difficult being a failure at another related thing -- evaluating basketball. I remember reading that his teammates when asked if they wanted to get him a departing gift, declined.

Being MJ, he can do pretty much what he wants, he wouldn't have agreed to it it IMO just because they begged him. He also did it for little money and I believe donated just about all of it to chairty, so I find it hard to believe that this wasn't more him, He's such a competitive person, you see the reports now about him warming up with the Bobcats. One thing that must be hard for athletes, basically all non-golfers, is your career is done pretty early. You aren't usually playing until your 40s.

@levineps

#236 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Michael Lee tweeted that the Wizards have agreed to, what is rumored to be, a 2 year deal with Eric Maynor. I like the signing. Should adequately back up Wall and there is still some upside there.

@AdamWolff

#237 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

I have always liked Maynor, but he's not the same player since his knee injury. Better backup than AJ Price though.

@beginthebegin71

#238 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

I love Maynor of course it helps we both went to VCU :).  I think he will provide a good off the bench PG, and I actually think OKC could have used him last year when Westbrook went down. 

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#239 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

F Eric Maynor!  ;) :)

• Adam Wolff likes this

#240 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

F Eric Maynor!  ;) :)

I assumed he'd always have a special place in your heart!

@AdamWolff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=