#201 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

Ted trusts him, but when making a coaching change it's one of those moves that GMs always have to run by ownership. Player moves they don't always have to consult, but on those generally they do.

Seems reasonable... still though, your point about how apt he is at evaluating a replacement for Grunfield is a very good one. That could create pause for him. And I would imagine that if he decides to shit can a Caps coach, he probably relies mostly on GMGM in terms of apt replacements. Could be wrong. Does he have any kind of team around him that could help him evaluate a Grunfield replacement? 

This situation just sucks, I want to get back into the Wizards, but basketball being my 4th favorite sport, I just can't watch 82 games a year that are that damn ugly. So yeah, I'm a fair weather Wizards fan, which sucks, I hate fair weather fans, it is what it is. But again, I can't force myself to watch anymore than 15-20 Wizards games a year. Especially since if the Caps are playing too, they'll win every time.

#202 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

Seems reasonable... still though, your point about how apt he is at evaluating a replacement for Grunfield is a very good one. That could create pause for him. And I would imagine that if he decides to shit can a Caps coach, he probably relies mostly on GMGM in terms of apt replacements. Could be wrong. Does he have any kind of team around him that could help him evaluate a Grunfield replacement? 

This situation just sucks, I want to get back into the Wizards, but basketball being my 4th favorite sport, I just can't watch 82 games a year that are that damn ugly. So yeah, I'm a fair weather Wizards fan, which sucks, I hate fair weather fans, it is what it is. But again, I can't force myself to watch anymore than 15-20 Wizards games a year. Especially since if the Caps are playing too, they'll win every time.

I think the situation is kinda like the Caps during the rebuilding process in a way, doesn't matter who the coach is during the rebuilding years, cause they are going to stink anyway. When the team shows enough life, that's when you bring in a winning coach.

I think he lucked out in having GMGM to support and run things, and isn't as lucky with Grunfield, but since he doesn't know NBA as well, he doesn't know that. Gotta look at a guy's drafting record if you are going to rebuild. MAYBE Ernie isn't making all the calls on drafting the past 2 years though, hard to say. If I were Ted I'd be bringing in Rex Chapman to be GM and letting him pick a coach Oakley or Ewing would be kinda cool. Maybe I'm just a little biased though since I used to live next door to Rex ;)

@JeremyMStrain

#203 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

Obviously, you'll have to take into account who you think goes #1 and #2 as well?

What say you?

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#204 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

They take Porter.

#205 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Really hoping they take Porter.

Wall, Beal and Porter is a solid core -- would be awesome if they could somehow get Josh Smith as a FA (who I LOVE) but that's very unlikely.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#206 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

Shame they don't need Oladipo, who I think will be the best player in the draft.

#207 dandrews

dandrews
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

I think it'll definitely be Porter unless he's taken by Cleveland or Orlando. I'm a big fan of Anthony Bennett, but he could end up being the next Derrick Williams. Porter is the best mix of safe and upside.
@dandrews66

#208 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Really hoping they take Porter.

Wall, Beal and Porter is a solid core -- would be awesome if they could somehow get Josh Smith as a FA (who I LOVE) but that's very unlikely.

You aren't concerned about what happens when he loses some of his athleticism? That's such a big part of his game that I wouldn't be too optimistic about him as he approaches and enters his 30's.

#209 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

You aren't concerned about what happens when he loses some of his athleticism? That's such a big part of his game that I wouldn't be too optimistic about him as he approaches and enters his 30's.

He's 27 right now.  If he got a 5 year deal I'd be fine with trusting his athleticism until he was 32.  It's not like he'll be ancient when his deal runs out.

@bopper33

#210 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Why I like Smith so much on the Wizards is that he's all over the glass, plays solid defense, gives you 2 blocks or so a game and about a steal and a half. 

Part of the reason I liked them picking up Nene and Okafor is because, for so long, the Wiz were these pushovers in terms of physicality and defense.  Last year's acquisitions at least showed they were concerned about addressing that part of their team and, clearly, Smith is a better player than Nene or Okafor.

@bopper33

#211 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

And yes, I know that he's an "old" 27 because of when he entered the league -- I'd still take the risk.

@bopper33

#212 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Yeah, he's not that old now, but pretty much his entire game is based on his athleticism so a small drop-off could be significant. 

Then his penchant for shooting 3's and his terrible FT shooting (really bad last year) is quite annoying. 

#213 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, he's not that old now, but pretty much his entire game is based on his athleticism so a small drop-off could be significant. 

Then his penchant for shooting 3's and his terrible FT shooting (really bad last year) is quite annoying. 

Hehe. Nobody's perfect. But you are doing a solid job talking me off Smith. I'm biased because I love his game.

@bopper33

#214 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

I think they screw up another draft by taking Len.

@DJ_McCann

#215 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

EG424.jpg
  • BSLMattJergensen likes this

@bopper33

#216 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

100% not taking Len at #3.

#217 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

I don't think the Wizards are taking Len at 3, but Len is moving up draft boards even though he can't practice. Many mocks have him 4th or 5th right now.

#218 dandrews

dandrews
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, he's not that old now, but pretty much his entire game is based on his athleticism so a small drop-off could be significant. Then his penchant for shooting 3's and his terrible FT shooting (really bad last year) is quite annoying.
Hehe. Nobody's perfect. But you are doing a solid job talking me off Smith. I'm biased because I love his game.
If he got out of the mindset that he should shoot a 17 foot shot every time he touches the ball he would be awesome. He is nasty at finishing around the rim. I think he needs to go to a place with a great system and coach where he isn't the number one guy. I don't think Washington is that place.
@dandrews66

#219 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

EG424.jpg

I have often wondered just what Grunfeld has on the ownership of the Wiz. He should have been fired years ago.

#220 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

I have often wondered just what Grunfeld has on the ownership of the Wiz. He should have been fired years ago.

At least Unseld is the singular great figure in the history of the franchise, so he got to stick around forever. How Grunfeld keeps a job is almost unbelievable.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=