475 replies to this topic

#421 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 March 2023 - 05:29 PM

Just assumed he was hurt or something, didn’t even consider this. What do you think could be going on? Like what are the pros/cons of trading him and any obvious fits?

Pros: John Angelos saves about $710K

Cons: Adam Frazier is the everyday 2B

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#422 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 05:49 PM

Just assumed he was hurt or something, didn’t even consider this. What do you think could be going on? Like what are the pros/cons of trading him and any obvious fits?

Prob nothing. Just found it interesting Phelan posted a scratch. Especially since guys like to ramp it up the last week or so. Unfortunately, hes probably dealing with an ouchy.

#423 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 March 2023 - 06:02 PM

Yeah I’m assuming injury, could give Westburg an opening.

#424 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:29 AM

Stowers/Santander should split time between RF/DH and find plenty of ABs. Hays should get more rest days than an average regular due to the fact that he seems to wear down more than others as the season goes on, which should give Stowers more possible ABs.

This could/shpuld happen but it's not how most teams operate. Hell, even when Hays was obviously hurting last year, he kept playing and had a crappy 2nd half.

Just did an on the surface look at how teams distributed at bats last year, the super majority of teams have 8 regulars and a quasi split of at bats for catchers. Then, their top reserve has under 300 ABs.

For as much as the game has evolved, it certainly appears that teams are still committed to their starters getting north of 500 ABs.

The only team that didn't operate this way was St Louis. Coincidentally, they have the youngest manager in baseball.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#425 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:42 PM

Sad. https://www.google.c...ng-day-starter/

#426 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:03 PM

It was inevitable. Opening day starter is pretty insignificant considering we don’t have anyone that is clearly above the rest yet. Give it to the veteran since it’s in the road, Bradish is lined up to start the home opener.

#427 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:27 PM

I really don't think it is sad.  He is the veteran on the staff, so it makes sense.  I expected this.  He is this years Jordan Lyles.

@mikeghg

#428 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:30 PM

I mean, it's not like he didn't objectively have the best spring showing of any starter candidate. If that's the basis, who is more deserving?

#429 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, who's more deserving than Gibson? Bradish? Nah. Kremer? Eh. Irvin would be the next best bet.

#430 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:42 PM

When do we even need a 5th starter. Even more reason why GRod should start in AAA

#431 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:44 PM

When do we even need a 5th starter. Even more reason why GRod should start in AAA

Wednesday April 5th at the latest. Six games in a row after the Friday off day following opening day.

#432 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:53 PM

Wednesday April 5th at the latest. Six games in a row after the Friday off day following opening day.

So GRod is not gonna throw in a real game for 2 weeks? Pretty sure I read his latest start was his last in ST

#433 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:56 PM

So GRod is not gonna throw in a real game for 2 weeks? Pretty sure I read his latest start was his last in ST

Yeah there are only four spring training games left so he'd have to pitch in a minor league spring game or something.

#434 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:00 PM

Yeah there are only four spring training games left so he'd have to pitch in a minor league spring game or something.

Or for the Tides for a few weeks

#435 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, who's more deserving than Gibson? Bradish? Nah. Kremer? Eh. Irvin would be the next best bet.

I’d have been fine with Kremer. Was good last year and was pretty good this spring. But it doesn’t matter. Gibson is fine.

#436 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 05:35 PM

I mean, it's not like he didn't objectively have the best spring showing of any starter candidate. If that's the basis, who is more deserving?

Well, spoke too soon there.

#437 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 06:36 PM

Man, watching the O’s and Pirates game, and DL Hall, when he plays within himself, could be a huge weapon out of the pen. Wells looking really good too as is Westburg!

#438 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 06:52 PM

Not sure Stowera makes the team out of spring, but I bet Hays has a short leash or at the very least, shorter leash.

#439 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:44 AM

Ready for the season to start.  

#440 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:55 AM

Balt Sun: Orioles observations on Andrew Politi’s roster case, Jorge Mateo in center, Keegan Akin’s versatility and more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=