Photo

Balt Sun: As ‘next week’ ends, Orioles CEO John Angelos whiffs on chance to be ‘very transparent’


  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

    CFB Analyst

  • Moderators
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 February 2023 - 05:34 PM

All of this assuming the Angelos family even want to stay in the business of franchise owning once the old man moves on to the next dimension.

 

And that's the whole point of contention of the family lawsuit, and which side you find more believable.



#102 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,915 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 05:35 PM

I dont care about the where. Thats some of you convincing yourself it cant happen. Bottom line is the lease is up in less than 11 months and a countdown will begin sometime around OD should a new lease still not be signed by then

#103 mdrunning

mdrunning

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 05:36 PM

All of this assuming the Angelos family even want to stay in the business of franchise owning once the old man moves on to the next dimension.

Once Peter Angelos passes, I believe the heirs would need the approval of the other owners to continue stewardship of the Orioles. Given the fact that neither of the sons seems to have an income outside of their father's enterprises (and the looming estate taxes), there would be legitimate concerns over whether or not they would have adequate operating expenses. I think baseball would much prefer ownership with considerably deeper pockets.



#104 weird-O

weird-O

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 02 February 2023 - 05:38 PM

I dont care about the where. Thats some of you convincing yourself it cant happen. Bottom line is the lease is up in less than 11 months and a countdown will begin sometime around OD should a new lease still not be signed by then

It isn't a question of, do you care where they move. None of us would. The question is, where could they move to in 11 months. This may be why you're experiencing so much more anxiety over the possibility than anyone else in this thread. Because you are ignoring the "where" question.  


  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.


#105 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

    CFB Analyst

  • Moderators
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 February 2023 - 05:42 PM

Once Peter Angelos passes, I believe the heirs would need the approval of the other owners to continue stewardship of the Orioles. Given the fact that neither of the sons seems to have an income outside of their father's enterprises (and the looming estate taxes), there would be legitimate concerns over whether or not they would have adequate operating expenses. I think baseball would much prefer ownership with considerably deeper pockets.

 

The other option would be to transfer Peter's share to Georgia, which I'm not sure would need MLB approval, but would postpone any tax issues. That of course is only a solution for as long as Georgia is still living. And if what John and Georgia both state in their lawsuit filings is the truth, they don't intend to do that. Lou of course insists otherwise.


  • mdrunning likes this

#106 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

    CFB Analyst

  • Moderators
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 February 2023 - 05:45 PM

It isn't a question of, do you care where they move. None of us would. The question is, where could they move to in 11 months. This may be why you're experiencing so much more anxiety over the possibility than anyone else in this thread. Because you are ignoring the "where" question.  

 

The threat of relocating at the end of this year isn't much of a threat if you have nowhere else to go. I would think John has thought that part out and has a plan if he needs to resort to it. But given his penchant for saying things he can't, or won't, back up, that might be giving him too much credit.


  • weird-O likes this

#107 dude

dude

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 February 2023 - 11:17 AM

And I think that is the most likely explanation for this. Scare the public,

 

I could add this comment from a number of different quotes, I'll just use this one.

 

My answer to everything that doesn't seem quite right is ask how it impacts transition of the team.  That's it.  They don't really care about anything else.  Everything is a game to get MLB to accept ownership transition.  Everything is about one gate.  Period.

 

So Wes Moore is politically aligned with Angelos and if you want to find an angle in here, if MLB tries to take the team away from the Angelos family in transition, what would happen if a MLB installed FO can't negotiate a deal with Wes Moore/MSA?  What if Wes Moore says "we're probably too far down the path to start a new negotiation with a new, unstable FO situation."

 

What does MLB do if the Orioles have nowhere to play without Angelos ownership?



#108 dude

dude

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 February 2023 - 12:01 PM

Probably what I've believed for many years now... minimize all long term commitments of ALL kinds (financial and other) until Peter passes away, the capital gains tax hit decreases significantly, and they're free to do whatever they want with the team. 75% John wants to sell, 23% chance John wants to move it, and about a 2% chance he wants to continue ownership by the family in Baltimore. They've just been biding time for years now, waiting for the inevitable...

Root hard for sell...

 

They don't want to sell the team.  It's 100% John wants to keep the team.  I have no idea why anyone would believe anything other than they want to keep the team.  Lou wants them to keep the team.  

 

If they wanted to sell the team, they could sell it at any point.  It's easy to sell the team and while we can do the different math calculations for Estate Taxes and Capital Gains taxes and the myriad of implications, the bottom line is that John and Lou Angelos (after Georgia) are $500M+ rich each. 

 

It's not a question of money, it's actually worth more over the next 20 years keeping it, but if you just wanted to be rich, that's easy.  That's already in the bag.

 

The question is relevance.  John has no demonstrated talent.  Maybe that's too mean, but he's never done anything in his life.  He's not accomplished.  He won't need "a job" if they sell (or forced sell) the Orioles, but he's been the senior executive of a MLB team for 25 years and the CEO of a major media outlet (MASN) for 15+years and nobody would consider him for anything at the same level.

 

He'd be Jeff Wilpon (in the same boat) buying a defunct E-Sports on-line gaming team to "own something".  People will certainly grovel up to him for his money, but nobody will want him to be in charge of anything.  He's resourcing his wife's Promotion company and the only client they have is the daughter of their lawyer and the only place she has traction in the industry is playing at OPaCY.

 

If you had to interview 3 guys and the options were Jeff Wilpon, John Angelos and [insert any name here], you'd interview [any name] because you know you don't care about the other 2.

 

John Angelos has never been tested.  He's never been challenged.  He's been given unmerited opportunity and we see the poor results within things like MASN.  People get unmerited opportunity, that's fine, but what do you do with that?  Spending time in the crucible is what purifies your Talent.  Most people have to struggle through that process, but the struggle through that process is what makes them stronger, what creates opportunity for success.  You see it in every industry, really everywhere.  It's specifically what wrong with some ideology [I'll just leave this here].

 

They want a "public-private partnership" for the lease because they want MD taxpayers to bear there burden of their own incompetence. All of the "economic impact" may be true at some exaggerated value, but it's fractional of what it could or should be.  They underperform everywhere.

 

John Angelos desperately wants to keep the Orioles and they'll do whatever is necessary to keep it.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Our Sponsors


 width=  width=