Photo

MASN: Lining up some possibilities for Orioles batting order


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

    Owner

  • Administrators
  • 156,604 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 12:12 PM

MASN: Lining up some possibilities for Orioles batting order

https://www.masnspor...s-batting-order



#2 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

    BSL Analyst

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 January 2023 - 12:49 PM

Think this works RHP, assuming Frazier is staying in the lineup every day no matter what (unfortunately)

 

1. Cedric CF

2. Adley C

3. Santander DH/RF

4. Mountcastle 1B

5. Gunnar 3B

6. Hays LF

7. Stowers DH/RF

8. Frazier 2B

9. Mateo SS


  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#3 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

    OTV

  • Moderators
  • 14,671 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 25 January 2023 - 02:26 PM

For as good as Mullins is he is not an ideal leadoff hitter. I'm sure he will be to start the year but I think Gunnar or Cowser will eventually fill that role.



#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

    CFB Analyst

  • Moderators
  • 19,583 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 January 2023 - 02:54 PM

1. Henderson 3B

2. Rutschman C

3. Santander DH/RF

4. Mountcastle 1B

5. Stowers DH/RF

6. Westburg 2B

7. Mullins CF

8. Mateo SS

9. Cowser LF

 

Obviously won't be the OD lineup, but assuming no significant trades, this would be nice to see towards the latter part of the season.


  • BobPhelan likes this

#5 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,207 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 03:18 PM

You ideally want your best hitters getting the most ABs.... I'd have Henderson, Mullins, Adley in the top 3.... Santander, Mountcastle, Hays, Stowers in any of the next 4 spots. Mateo should always be near the bottom.

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,692 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 03:50 PM

For as good as Mullins is he is not an ideal leadoff hitter. I'm sure he will be to start the year but I think Gunnar or Cowser will eventually fill that role.

Cowser striking out at a 30% rate isnt gonna work there either



#7 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,207 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:09 PM

Cowser striking out at a 30% rate isnt gonna work there either


Yeah, who cares if he's reaching base 40% of the time. I'd much rather have a guy who's getting on base 32% of the time, but popping out rather than striking out.
  • makoman likes this

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,692 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, who cares if he's reaching base 40% of the time. I'd much rather have a guy who's getting on base 32% of the time, but popping out rather than striking out.

So yeah, if hes striking out 30% of the time the chances that his OBP is 40% is so incredibly low. We arent talking about Joey Gallo power here. Or Adam Dunn power. If he is gonna strike out at 30% then pitchers are going to attack him.



#9 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,207 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:15 PM

So yeah, if hes striking out 30% of the time the chances that his OBP is 40% is so incredibly low. We arent talking about Joey Gallo power here. Or Adam Dunn power. If he is gonna strike out at 30% then pitchers are going to attack him.


I don't think the hit tool is bad enough that we have to worry about a huge drop off if pitchers begin attacking him. Strikeouts are just part of being a hitter in modern baseball.



#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,692 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:17 PM

And making contact is still important for a leadoff hitter.



#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

    CFB Analyst

  • Moderators
  • 19,583 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:26 PM

Strikeout #s don't always tell the whole story. Why is he striking out a lot? Is he getting impatient and chasing? Poor pitch recognition? A flaw in his swing that gets more exposed the higher he moves up? Can working with major league coaches help him? I don't know the answer because I've never seen him, but it seems like a pertinent question before pigeonholing him.


  • BobPhelan likes this

#12 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

    OTV

  • Moderators
  • 14,671 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:45 PM

Strikeout #s don't always tell the whole story. Why is he striking out a lot? Is he getting impatient and chasing? Poor pitch recognition? A flaw in his swing that gets more exposed the higher he moves up? Can working with major league coaches help him? I don't know the answer because I've never seen him, but it seems like a pertinent question before pigeonholing him.


He had some issues with breaking pitches as he rose up the ladder. Bigger strike zone in the minors got him out several times. Pitch recognition is there it’s just about closing out some holes in his swing. He successfully tapped into more power, (20-25 HR guy now I’d say) I think he’ll wind up being a great lead off hitter with Adley and Gunnar hitting behind him at the top of the lineup.
  • BSLMikeLowe and makoman like this

#13 makoman

makoman

    HOF

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:56 PM

SOo yeah, if hes striking out 30% of the time the chances that his OBP is 40% is so incredibly low. We arent talking about Joey Gallo power here. Or Adam DUnn power. If he is gonna strike out at 30% then pitchers are going to attack him.

I'd be surprised if he Ks 30%. Or at least, there's no reason to expect that. He did in a small sample at AAA, due to a terrible 45% his first 10 games. In his last 17 games he hit .299/.390/.582 with 20% K, which is fine. Sure they all count, but adjusting to a new level is incredibly important, and twice last year he had really slow starts at a level then recovered well (AA he killed from the start), which bodes well. I wish he had a lower K rate, but I don't think it's the huge red flag that you do. It would help if we had statcast data to get more info on why.

 

Gunnar was at 26% in AAA in a larger sample, is he also doomed? 


  • BobPhelan likes this

#14 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

    Soccer Analyst

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,627 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 25 January 2023 - 05:02 PM

I don't particularly like the idea of Henderson hitting leadoff. He's got enough power I'd rather see him 3rd.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Our Sponsors


 width=