#1 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,579 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 January 2023 - 06:28 PM

Kind of fun, surprised no-one else posted this.

ARTICLE HERE

This thing is just an opinion piece (he doesn't actually have a crystal ball) but still has the Orioles making the WS in 2024 (losing to the Mets) and winning the WS in 2028 over the Dodgers.

Maybe interesting to drag this into another post/poll "How many times do the Orioles make the Playoffs in the next 10 years."

He has the NL winning the next 3 years and then the AL taking the Crown the next 7.  

2023: Dodgers over BlueJays

2024: Mets over Orioles

2025: Giants over Yankees

2026: Mariners over Cardinals

2027:Yankees over Cubs

2028: Orioles over Dodgers

2029: Tigers over Braves

2030: Angels over Phillies

2031: RedSox over Brewers

2032: Guardians over Reds

Dodgers, Yankees and Orioles only 3 teams included twice!!

#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,579 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 January 2023 - 06:31 PM

This would be a blast of a Fall Classic -- and might destroy parts of the Eastern Seaboard -- that would be a rematch of the 1969 World Series (65 years later) and a matchup of quite possibly the oldest team in baseball and the youngest. I wouldn’t be that shocked if the Mets take a step back in 2023 -- that rotation is, uh, not young -- which would be exactly the thing that makes everybody look past them in 2024. You can see how the Orioles might regress in 2023 as well before it all comes to fruition in 2024 with a team that very well could be a sensation from start to finish.

-------------

We only have to wait one year to make the WS.  Nice  

"A sensation from start to finish" sounds good.  Lot of things going right there.  Most interesting is the FA market is terrible next year so we obviously are getting it done with no FAs.  

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,579 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 January 2023 - 06:37 PM

2028: Orioles over Dodgers
Yes, yes, I’m one of those long-term Orioles believers. If you want to excuse their lack of spending this year as a way of making sure nobody stands in the way of their future prospects -- and I kinda, sorta, want to do that -- then 2027 would be about the time it would really pay off. Adley Rutschman will turn 30 in 2027, for what it’s worth. As for the Dodgers, well, let’s not forget that they have a trove of prospects who will be maturing around this time, and I love the idea of them having Shohei Ohtani as well. He’ll only be 34, and whether he’ll be pitching, hitting or doing both, he’ll be doing it better than just about everyone else on Earth. But the story here is Baltimore. You’ve earned this, Orioles fans.

-------------

Here's the best thing about this. Adley is a FA after the 2027 season.  So Will (here) is suggesting that by not spending today (or signing a catcher for the next 6+ years?) that somehow means we keep Adley.  For what it's worth, I'll project Adley is an Oriole (#2) in 2028, but THAT is not the reason why.

I do want to know why we didn't win the WS every year.  Only making it twice in 10 years...only winning once?!?!? Failure :(

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,250 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 07:23 PM

Herm's crystal ball says the same. Hopefully he will be over '22 by the time 2030 rolls around with a 'ship

#5 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 13 January 2023 - 08:04 PM

I'll have what he's having.

• Mike B likes this

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 January 2023 - 09:04 PM

This would be a blast of a Fall Classic -- and might destroy parts of the Eastern Seaboard -- that would be a rematch of the 1969 World Series (65 years later) and a matchup of quite possibly the oldest team in baseball and the youngest. I wouldn’t be that shocked if the Mets take a step back in 2023 -- that rotation is, uh, not young -- which would be exactly the thing that makes everybody look past them in 2024. You can see how the Orioles might regress in 2023 as well before it all comes to fruition in 2024 with a team that very well could be a sensation from start to finish.

-------------

We only have to wait one year to make the WS.  Nice  

"A sensation from start to finish" sounds good.  Lot of things going right there.  Most interesting is the FA market is terrible next year so we obviously are getting it done with no FAs.  

His math is a little off.  By 10 years.

@mikeghg

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,366 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 09:05 PM

Win a World Series and all is not only forgiven but celebrated.

#8 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,579 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 January 2023 - 11:33 PM

Win a World Series and all is not only forgiven but celebrated.

If they win, that's awesome and everyone that contributes gets credit.

That never justifies losing because whatever happens, it won't be because they didn't compete in any year, including not working more in 2022.

If you want a lot of credit, compete and win. 

That's not really where I thought this should go this quickly, but that's fine. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#9 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,579 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:02 AM

I thought the 2024 projection was interesting.  They haven't really done anything to show they think 2024, in terms of external adds, will be important and trades get a little harder to do with one year vice 2 for a number of the better guys (ie, will the Orioles pay for only one year).

I actually (still) don't have any issues with the 2024 team, but it's still almost all the 2023 team and maybe you get Cowser instead of Stowers or Hays, Hall and Means available for a full season.

I think there's measurable Playoff opportunity over the next 4+ years and if you get into the Playoffs, anything can happen.

Not sure I'm betting wire-to-wire on the 2024 team just yet, but awesome if that happens.

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:16 AM

I thought the 2024 projection was interesting.  They haven't really done anything to show they think 2024, in terms of external adds, will be important and trades get a little harder to do with one year vice 2 for a number of the better guys (ie, will the Orioles pay for only one year).

I actually (still) don't have any issues with the 2024 team, but it's still almost all the 2023 team and maybe you get Cowser instead of Stowers or Hays, Hall and Means available for a full season.

I think there's measurable Playoff opportunity over the next 4+ years and if you get into the Playoffs, anything can happen.

Not sure I'm betting wire-to-wire on the 2024 team just yet, but awesome if that happens.

I think Lietch is simply drawing a direct parallel between the Orioles and Astros, with Elias as the common denominator, without really examining the nuances between the two situations. He even goes as far as to say the Orioles may regress in win total this year, like the Astros did in 2016, before the big breakthrough the next year. It’s just off-the-cuff content generated at a time when you have a big lull in activity before spring training starts. It wouldn’t shock me if he used ChatGPT on that one.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#11 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,579 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:19 AM

I think Lietch is simply drawing a direct parallel between the Orioles and Astros, ....

You are predicting the Orioles realize that the team isn't good enough in 2023 so they cheat in 2024.  Bold.  Very bold.

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:21 AM

You are predicting the Orioles realize that the team isn't good enough in 2023 so they cheat in 2024.  Bold.  Very bold.

Where did I state that was my prediction?

#13 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,579 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:25 AM

Where did I state that was my prediction?

"direct parallel with the Astros...." that's what happened to the Astros.

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:32 AM

"direct parallel with the Astros...." that's what happened to the Astros.

I’m not the author. I just think Will Leitch (lazily) drew that parallel. Whether he also factors in the sign-stealing, I don’t know nor do I particularly care.

My own prediction, if you actually care to know, is that absolutely nothing they do in 2023 will impact how they approach 2024….just like 2022 had no impact on their approach to 2023.

#15 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,579 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:36 AM

Sorry, I was just kicking the Astros in the balls.

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 12:51 AM

No biggie. Just speculating the author probably put no more than half an hour into writing that piece. Not that there’s any point in doing serious research for this sort of thing…..like you said it’s just for fun and no one who matters is gonna hold him to it. Though 10 minutes of browsing this board might have changed his mind, at least on the 2024 prediction.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,683 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 10:13 AM

Guess they will have to console themselves with reaching the ALCS 6 straight years.

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,250 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 04:14 PM

Guess they will have to console themselves with reaching the ALCS 6 straight years.

And two rings blinging all up in dudes eyes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=