357 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,780 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 08:28 AM

Saw a note that not only can Young return, that Scott and Hart also have that option.

Think the rule is that anyone that was on a roster in '19-20 can.
  • BSLChrisStoner and BSLRoseKatz like this

#22 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 09:26 AM

Saw a note that not only can Young return, that Scott and Hart also have that option.

I'm not sure why they would with the option to go overseas and play pro for good money. It's not like they are the missing pieces to a team that is right at the verge of contending for a national title and that will stamp their legendary careers at Maryland.

#23 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 09:28 AM

Is Hart even gonna play pro anywhere substantial enough to beat weak NIL money. Maybe they can get him back if he wants. Would think Scott probably can make enough money overseas to leave.

#24 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 09:31 AM

I'm sure Hart can make as good of a living playing overseas just as easily as Scott can. Starter at a high end D1 program.

#25 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,780 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 09:42 AM

Is Hart even gonna play pro anywhere substantial enough to beat weak NIL money. Maybe they can get him back if he wants. Would think Scott probably can make enough money overseas to leave.

I'm with Baltbird, think Hart would have similar overseas opportunities as Scott. 

I don't know that either overwhelms a year of NIL money, though it being from Maryland without a deep pipeline set up makes me think the pro model would still be the more lucrative option.

Its nearly impossible to find details on how much guys actually make playing overseas. 

#26 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:02 AM

Available scholarships will also play a role here. Four freshmen coming in means some guys with eligibility have to go. I assume Willard may suggest certain guys enter the portal, as Locksley has done with his team the last few years. Dziuba, Revaz, Cornish, etc. I’d expect to be gone.
@BSLZackKiesel

#27 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:53 AM

Cant afford to lose Reese but feel the SEC or B12 sharks will circle.

#28 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:59 AM

I don't know much about the NIL money situation at Maryland but there seems to be a baseline assumption that we can't compete on this front, why is this? There have to be some rich alums that are willing to pony up.

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,780 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:04 AM

I don't know much about the NIL money situation at Maryland but there seems to be a baseline assumption that we can't compete on this front, why is this? There have to be some rich alums that are willing to pony up.

Entirely uninformed opinions here, but MD seems to have been late to the NIL party so there isn't much organization.  Also without a big football base, there likely isn't much groundswell for accumulation of small donations that end up being meaningful.  Any big donors MD has, many other teams can match or exceed.

I don't think we'll be completely non-competitive on the NIL front, but I think we're more of an also-ran than a leader.

#30 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:33 AM

There's a decent infrastructure currently in place, they were just a bit late getting going on it. While some were a bit apprehensive on Willard at first, the boosters are 100% bought in on him now. This offseason will be telling on how competitive they can really be, but they're making a decent effort (which is more than you could've said a year ago).

@BSLZackKiesel

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,632 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 March 2023 - 12:30 PM

I forget Dzuiba is on the team until his name is mentioned.  

I think maybe the university is trying to do the right thing by him given the situation in Ukraine.

@mikeghg

#32 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 20 March 2023 - 12:30 PM

There's a decent infrastructure currently in place, they were just a bit late getting going on it. While some were a bit apprehensive on Willard at first, the boosters are 100% bought in on him now. This offseason will be telling on how competitive they can really be, but they're making a decent effort (which is more than you could've said a year ago).

Does NIL money revolve more around smaller-scale boosters?  Is there only so much that a Kevin Plank can do on this front?

#33 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 March 2023 - 12:59 PM

Does NIL money revolve more around smaller-scale boosters?  Is there only so much that a Kevin Plank can do on this front?

Plank has played a significant role in the football team's NIL collective: https://tbiaf.org/

The basketball team has one as well, not sure how involved he's been on that front: https://turtlenil.com/club/

Since there aren't really any limitations, large-scale and small-scale boosters are both as involved as they want to be.

@BSLZackKiesel

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 March 2023 - 12:50 PM

No surprise, Cornish is headed to the portal.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 01:30 PM

No surprise, Cornish is headed to the portal.

That was an odd two years. 

Early this year, looked like he might find some minutes... just never happened. 

Another available scholarship is a good thing. 

#36 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 March 2023 - 02:56 PM

I think it’s telling that two different coaching staffs couldn’t find minutes for Cornish. Not sure if he has issues in practice, or if his game simply doesn’t live up to his projections as a recruit, but sometimes guys just don’t pan out. All the best to him, and hopefully they can use this scholarship on an impactful transfer.
@BSLZackKiesel

#37 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 03:44 PM

Wasn't he a 4 star, top 100 recruit? Weird he could barely get any minutes in 2 years.

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,780 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 04:17 PM

Wasn't he a 4 star, top 100 recruit? Weird he could barely get any minutes in 2 years.

I think most had him just outside the top-100.  247 sports had him reaching the 70s early on but fell outside top-100 by their final.

https://247sports.co...uitRankHistory/

Its definitely an atypical trajectory for a highly regarded player to get this little time.  I can't recall many non-medical redshirts for guys of Cornish' pedigree.  But on the other hand it is not particularly unusual for a top-100 talent to peak in HS and not make much impact at a power-5 school.  Shaq Cleare, Roddy Peters, either Mitchell twin, are just some of several examples among only Terps guys.  For every unheralded guy who pops like Hakim Hart there pretty much has to be a higher rated guy who disappoints like Cornish.

#39 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 04:39 PM

The other guy recently left with a huge wimper. He was also a top 100 guy. Graham maybe??

#40 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 March 2023 - 06:03 PM

Sounds like Martinez will definitely be back, so that's good news. He'll play a key role off the bench again next season.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=