#301 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 May 2023 - 09:40 AM

This transfer portal and NIL stuff has definitely created the effect of inflating value. Dickinson wasn’t worthy of this type of frenzy IMO.

#302 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 May 2023 - 09:48 AM

I’m just encouraged that MD apparently came up with $2M to try and get him. If that sort of cash is available for other players, they should be able to compete for talent.

• BSLChrisStoner and BobPhelan like this

#303 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 09:59 AM

North Dakota State’s Grant Nelson has entered the transfer portal. He’ll likely be every team’s backup plan if they don’t land Dickinson, so expect Maryland to be in on him as well. Averaged 18 points and 9 rebounds last season.

Wonder if the same money will be available for him?

#304 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 May 2023 - 10:01 AM

Wonder if the same money will be available for him?

That would be interesting. Assume Kentucky will be all-in on him, along with Georgetown and Villanova.
@BSLZackKiesel

#305 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 May 2023 - 10:06 AM

Kentucky’s Lance Ware has entered the transfer portal. He’s a New Jersey native, so Willard may make a run at him. Was a 4-star recruit out of high school, but hasn’t done much in limited minutes so far in college.
@BSLZackKiesel

#306 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 10:06 AM

I hope this doesn’t end their pursuit of another big. Reese still gets in a lot of foul trouble, and I don’t think Swanton-Rodger is someone you want getting big minutes and the Pierce kid looks raw.

#307 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 10:13 AM

Ridiculous to chase this guy. If it wasnt obvious once the blue bloods were involved it became more obvious when Scott chose to come back. No way they were going to get all 3 guys the looks they want and need. Willard better do something else. Wasting a month on Dickinson was stupid

#308 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 May 2023 - 12:52 PM

It was not stupid to try to get Dickinson.  Willard inherited a serious problem with Dematha which is a key school in local recruiting.  Getting Young and the pursuit of Dickinson hopefully goes a long way to solving that.  I am assuming they still want another big, so move on.

• BobPhelan, Mackus, BSLZackKiesel and 2 others like this
@mikeghg

#309 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:02 PM

I have to say, I am not that disappointed Dickinson is going to Kansas.  I disliked him at Michigan, and it would have been strange rooting for him.  

@mikeghg

#310 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:04 PM

Ridiculous to chase this guy. If it wasnt obvious once the blue bloods were involved it became more obvious when Scott chose to come back. No way they were going to get all 3 guys the looks they want and need. Willard better do something else. Wasting a month on Dickinson was stupid

How was the time wasted?  What did we miss out on because they pursued Dickinson?  

#311 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:07 PM

How was the time wasted? What did we miss out on because they pursued Dickinson?

Do you not see how big the transfer portal is now. I am confident saying theyve missed out on numerous opportunities on guys who have signed elsewhere in the last month.

Even if they have the available scholarships to pursue multiple guys, chasing a big like Dickinson is going to make it less likely someone else that plays his position is going to sign.

#312 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:11 PM

Let alone the time wasted and an available scholarship you couldve offered to any player at any position. Not just the same position Dickinson plays.

#313 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:14 PM

Let alone the time wasted and an available scholarship you couldve offered to any player at any position. Not just the same position Dickinson plays.

So, Dickinson comes to Maryland and says “hey, I’m in the portal now and I’m interested in coming home”. What’s Willard supposed to do, say “nah, I’m good”? He would’ve catapulted the team into a national title contender and they would’ve started ranked in the Top 5. Not going after him would’ve been incredibly dumb.

What would it have said to the fan base and the team if they hadn’t pursued him? Turgeon was the type to shy away from tough recruiting battles, Willard isn’t.
  • BSLMikeLowe and makoman like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#314 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:18 PM

Meh. There comes a point when you know. Programs are in on guys and back off all the time once things start to become more clear or obvious. At some point its pointless and wasting your own time and resources. We were there awhile ago despite the way its framed by some homer sites. Of course those guys are going to feed to their subscribers MD still has a chance.

#315 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:27 PM

Meh. There comes a point when you know. Programs are in on guys and back off all the time once things start to become more clear or obvious. At some point it’s pointless and wasting your own time and resources. We were there awhile ago despite the way its framed by some homer sites. Of course those guys are going to feed to their subscribers MD still has a chance.

Dickinson visited Maryland’s campus two weeks ago. He visited Kansas one week ago. Even if Willard and his staff got the vibe that he was all-in on Kansas after that visit, you’re talking about a few days of “wasted” time and resources.
@BSLZackKiesel

#316 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:49 PM

Meh. There comes a point when you know. Programs are in on guys and back off all the time once things start to become more clear or obvious. At some point its pointless and wasting your own time and resources. We were there awhile ago despite the way its framed by some homer sites. Of course those guys are going to feed to their subscribers MD still has a chance.

It is okay to admit you are wrong once in a while.  It really does not hurt.

@mikeghg

#317 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:52 PM

Rofl. How about you know waiting til I get one wrong homie. Jesus. I knew it wasnt MD. Indeed it wasnt Maryland and Im wrong??

#318 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 May 2023 - 01:54 PM

Rofl. How about you know waiting til I get one wrong homie. Jesus. I knew it wasnt MD. Indeed it wasnt Maryland and Im wrong??

Is perfection a burden for you?   Asking for a friend.

@mikeghg

#319 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 02:31 PM

Not disappointed I must say.

#320 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,510 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 03:55 PM

Dziuba is officially in the portal now, so MD is at the scholarship limit for next season. Not sure what the plan would have been had Dickinson opted to join....or maybe there wasn't really a plan if they weren't really expecting it to happen. But if there was something else going on, wonder if that means they could be searching for another big (hopefully).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=