623 replies to this topic

#61 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 09:57 AM

Pittsburgh's run defense might be improved but if Roman thinks it's time for Huntley to throw the ball 35 times, it's an automatic loss in my opinion.  Let's hope the guy isn't that dense but at this point, nothing would surprise me.  The only way to win this game is run the ball over 30 times.  40 times, more the merrier.  It needs to be consistent, constant and time consuming.  Mix in some quick hitting passes and hope for some YAC and let Huntley manage the game, meaning the run attack.  Let him run the ball about 10 times too. 

If I had to make a prediction, Huntley will throw 43 times and run 10, actual primary-job-RBs will get 14 total carries.  Most of Huntley's throws will be short, and Roman will look at them like run plays.  2 INTs and a fumble on offense.  Defense better "ball out" all day long!  Hope I'm wrong on the offense...

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#62 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,286 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 10:52 AM

If I had to make a prediction, Huntley will throw 43 times and run 10, actual primary-job-RBs will get 14 total carries.  Most of Huntley's throws will be short, and Roman will look at them like run plays.  2 INTs and a fumble on offense.  Defense better "ball out" all day long!  Hope I'm wrong on the offense...

If he throws 43 times, they have no chance. Zero.

#63 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2022 - 11:05 AM

I mean I disagree. Huntley's style of passing is more of an extension of the run game. I know it isn't sexy or flashy. And I'd prefer more of a run game as well. But pass attempts only as a gauge is faulty. If they're being completed at a high rate and the ball isn't being turned over, it can be quite effective. Just depends on what the defense is giving you that game. Huntley will be under pressure from that pass rush, so it'll need to be a quick, efficient passing game, and I'm confident they'll run the ball a bunch too.

• Mackus and makoman like this

#64 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 11:12 AM

I mean I disagree. Huntley's style of passing is more of an extension of the run game. I know it isn't sexy or flashy. And I'd prefer more of a run game as well. But pass attempts only as a gauge is faulty. If they're being completed at a high rate and the ball isn't being turned over, it can be quite effective. Just depends on what the defense is giving you that game. Huntley will be under pressure from that pass rush, so it'll need to be a quick, efficient passing game, and I'm confident they'll run the ball a bunch too.

Yeah, if he's completing those type of throws at a very high clip, then little 4-6 yard gains on 1st or 2nd down are good. That alone can't be a replacement for the running game, but if they can't get the big-gashing run game that we want to have implemented against a front that will surely be geared up to stop just that, then quick, short passes are a way around that.  

The problem will come if they get in situations where we need to throw.  It'll be very difficult to pick up 3rd-and-5s or longer since Huntley isn't good at throwing medium depth or downfield and we'll have to sustain long drives since big chunk yardage plays are unlikely because Huntley isn't good at throwing medium depth or downfield.

A defensive or ST touchdown would really help on Sunday.  Or those units setting up a few short fields so we don't need 4 or 5 first downs to get into the red zone.  Or if somehow they can scheme up some plays that get someone wide open a ways down the field where a strong throw wouldn't be required to complete the pass.

• jamesdean likes this

#65 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,286 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 11:57 AM

I do get what you're saying but the more Huntley drops back(even for short passes), the more there's the chance of something bad happening.  I just don't want Roman to run the ball a few times with little to no gain and then decided it's time to throw the ball constantly. They just don't commit to running the ball enough.  If it fails at times, so what?  Stick with it.  I guarantee you by the middle of the third quarter, Pittsburgh will be wearing down and that's when you make them pay.  There's just too much of a risk for turnovers with Huntley throwing a lot. 

#66 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 09:15 PM

On a side note, doesn't it feel like the Baltimore-Pittsburgh rivalry has lost some of the prestige it used to have?  I said this last year and people denied it, but now that the first matchup after Ben Roethlisberger's retirement is here there is hardly any excitement.  He was the last of the "names" that made this rivalry what it was.  Ray, Ed, Suggs, Flacco, Hines Ward, Ben, Joey Porter were all part of the magic of this matchup.  

Pittsburgh week used to have replays of the great games they played, and comments about each other from both sides.  The only comments I've heard this week were the Raven's saying they have confidence in Huntley.  I haven't heard anything out of the Pittsburgh side.  These games were always the marquis matchups on the network, often played in prime time to a national audience.  Sunday the game is basically only being shown to a small group of states on the east coast from Pennsylvania down to South Carolina.  It's not even the #1 1:00pm game.  

Maybe in the future if Kenny Pickett develops and Jackson signs a new contract both teams will be 9-2 and fighting for first place.  Then maybe the rivalry will be back, but right now this just feels like it could be any other game on the schedule.  

• PrimeTime likes this

#67 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 December 2022 - 09:36 PM

Lamar has only played Pittsburgh 3 times, that has a lot to do with it. Yea the rivalry has lost some steam, but not for me. F Pittsburgh.

#68 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 09:54 PM

Well the line opened lower than I expected and to this point it has only moved down. From 3 to 2.5 to 1.5. So I was off on every turn here. Still think we lose though

#69 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 05:57 AM

Well the line opened lower than I expected and to this point it has only moved down. From 3 to 2.5 to 1.5. So I was off on every turn here. Still think we lose though

I expect a close game, like it seems to always be. Pickett isn't terrible. Pickens is a monster. Their line is surprisingly not terrible. Their defense with Watt is above average.

Huntley will have a full week of practice with the first team, knowing he's the man this week. That makes a difference. Roman has time to make some changes to mold the offense to Huntley's strengths instead of Lamar's. Defense should have Hamilton again,a little healthier. That's an x-factor. If he can step into his hybrid role and shut down Friermuth and the short passing game, that could be the difference. Watching Hamilton over the past 5 weeks, he's truly an x-factor. He hasn't made the game changing big plays... yet. But what he does, Derwin James may be the only other guy capable of it. If he's there and healthy, defense should make life tough on Pickett.

That's what it comes down to. Our defense is probably going to have to win this game. I don't see an outcome where we score 30+. I see an ugly, boring defensive struggle. That will probably come down to whoever has the big turnover in the second half.

#70 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 09:14 AM

I see a close game and hopefully without a Steelers flukey play or last second penalty that happens when we play there. Like a late int turned over by a late flag.

#71 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 09:20 AM

Pittsburgh is just another team to me right now. It's kind of hard to hate other teams when your own team is its own worst enemy most of the time.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#72 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 09:38 AM

I'm with Ricker. Pittsburgh is a different feel than all the other teams, beyond the records. Feel sad for anyone who's lost that.

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 09:53 AM

I'm with Sean. I don't feel any different about Pittsburgh than Cincinnati or Cleveland.

Really never care about the opponent much. For me, mainly about the Ravens and controlling what they can control.

#74 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2022 - 09:55 AM

I'm with Sean. I don't feel any different about Pittsburgh than Cincinnati or Cleveland.

Really never care about the opponent much. For me, mainly about the Ravens and controlling what they can control.

What about Duke/MD back in the day?

#75 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,291 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 10:11 AM

What about Duke/MD back in the day?

Hated Duke. But I was 20 years younger and Rob was obnoxious. Didn't care about UNC.

I dislike the Yankees. Dislike RedSox fans.
Dislike Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan.
Dislike the rest of the AFC North... would just be lying to pretend I really care about any of them.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#76 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2022 - 10:12 AM

Lol at the Rob angle, but I hear ya. The best man in my wedding is a Pittsburgh guy, I’d be lying if that wasn’t part of it.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#77 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 December 2022 - 12:10 PM

I'm with Ricker. Pittsburgh is a different feel than all the other teams, beyond the records. Feel sad for anyone who's lost that.

I hate the Steelers and the Browns.   Joe Burrow's arrogance is going to get the Bengals there too.

@mikeghg

#78 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,286 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 12:33 PM

I hate the Steelers and the Browns.   Joe Burrow's arrogance is going to get the Bengals there too.

I can't stand anyone in our division.  It's hard sometimes to know who to route for when they play each other but the Bengals are slowly but surely heading to the top of my list of teams to hate.  Not fond of Buffalo and can't stand the sight of Kansas City but Cincinnati is becoming a real pain in my ass.  I can already see it coming where I'm going to route for just about anyone to beat them in the play-offs. 

#79 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 12:51 PM

I take it back. I root against the Steelers unless it benefits us for them to win. I think I dislike their fans than anything else.

Browns aren't to be taken seriously. And the Bengals are starting to become annoying because of Burrow.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#80 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 09 December 2022 - 01:32 PM

I'm sure that for some Ravens fans the "Squealers" will always be hated no matter what.  Same goes for some Steeler fans who will always hate the "Ratbirds" over all else.   But you have to be blind not to see that the intensity and excitement in the build up to this game is not what it used to be.  The two times these teams played in the past used to be the two hardest hitting games of the entire NFL season.  Players on other teams used to say they loved watching the games.   These two teams either struggled or outright lost their next games more times than I can count.

Funny thing is, they discussed this very same thing on the Ravens radio flagship stations, WBAL, this morning.  Well after I posted my opinion.  They came to the same conclusion.  I think it is that obvious.  

Sure this is a division game, and a very important one for the Raven's playoff hopes, but it doesn't feel any different than next week's game against Cleveland will feel.   This used to be must see TV, and maybe in the future it will be again, but right now it feels like what it is, one of the secondary 1pm games on CBS.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=