158 replies to this topic

#141 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,589 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 12:03 AM

Doubt it. He wasn't replacing someone we were happy to see go. He had giant shoes to fill. Was it his first season that they beat Duke at home? Maybe that was the high point. Or I think first year in the Big Ten they beat Izzo twice.

Gary was obviously a legend, but aside from the Vasquez senior year, basketball had become pretty mediocre at Maryland.

The early years in the B10 under Turgeon were exciting even if those teams never lived up to the hype.

Turgeon ball just seemed painfully slow and boring.

#142 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2022 - 12:37 AM

That was everything. Great night.
  • Mike B likes this

#143 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,985 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 12:52 AM

Were we ever this pumped about Turgeon?

Preseason 2015. Lol

• Mike in STL likes this

#144 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 07:30 AM

There were several big moments like this in the Turgeon era. Just go back and look at Melo Trimble highlights. Turgeon's problem was they never won games like that in March, and after a while it's hard to get excited over a team you believe will ultimately fizzle out when it really matters.

Yep, Turgeon had some good-that-could've-been-great teams but they never sustained through February and March.

Style was almost always a drawback but that doesn't matter much when the team is good.

#145 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 December 2022 - 08:15 AM

There were several big moments like this in the Turgeon era. Just go back and look at Melo Trimble highlights. Turgeon's problem was they never won games like that in March, and after a while it's hard to get excited over a team you believe will ultimately fizzle out when it really matters.

Yeah last night was a cool shot but I think I'd still comfortably rank it below Melo making a game-winning 3 with like 1.2 left in his final game at Xfinity against MSU in 2017

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

she/her

#146 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:23 AM

Yeah there was a time there where the fanbase was fairly hopeful with Turgeon. The way his teams finished was really what soured a lot of people deep down.

In the end, it could’ve been a lot worse than Turgeon. I don’t think it’s right to revise history as if he was some dumpster fire here. He wasn’t at all. Overall, a decent run. Then there’s that 2019 team that never got to finish but was playing amazing down the stretch.

But overall, my whole argument once I saw how his teams finished, was Maryland Basketball needed to aim higher.

Always thought he was a class act though. I remember feeling really bad deep down, turning on him. I heard the other day the reason is hasn’t gotten a coaching job is he’s staying in the DMV until his children are through high school in a few years.
  • Mackus and BSLZackKiesel like this

#147 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:36 AM

Even that team was fumbling down the stretch. Lost 3 of 5 to end the regular season after a long winning streak. Maybe it'd have finally been the year Turgeon had a successful March, I sure would've liked to find out, largely for Cowan's sake.

#148 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2022 - 10:19 AM

How legit is Jahmir Young? Was he so under the radar coming in due to it being Charlotte?

#149 BoomerFT

BoomerFT
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 10:40 AM

Young was rated 30th (247 sports) & 36th (Rivals) at PG coming out of HS. Only had mid-major offers. Definitely better than his rankings based on his play at Charlotte. He never really had the channce to prove himself against high D1 opponents.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mackus like this

#150 BoomerFT

BoomerFT
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 10:49 AM

Take Emilien for example. He went off last year for 16 & 18 pts against Penn St & Wisconsin, but playing against high D1 opponents this year, not so much. When you are the best scoring option for your team, you get more touches & looks to score. So, Young is a solid consistent scorer, but not necessarily at the 20 ppg level, as he was when he was Charlotte's top scoring option.

#151 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 December 2022 - 10:53 AM

How legit is Jahmir Young? Was he so under the radar coming in due to it being Charlotte?

I mean, he was one of the top point guards in the portal this year so wouldn’t really say he was under the radar. Got NBA attention at Charlotte, went through the combine process before this season.
@BSLZackKiesel

#152 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2022 - 11:00 AM

I mean, he was one of the top point guards in the portal this year so wouldn’t really say he was under the radar. Got NBA attention at Charlotte, went through the combine process before this season.

Under my radar ;)

He’s been fun to watch.

#153 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2022 - 11:01 AM

Take Emilien for example. He went off last year for 16 & 18 pts against Penn St & Wisconsin, but playing against high D1 opponents this year, not so much. When you are the best scoring option for your team, you get more touches & looks to score. So, Young is a solid consistent scorer, but not necessarily at the 20 ppg level, as he was when he was Charlotte's top scoring option.

We’ll see about that. I’ve watched a lot of college basketball this year and he looks pretty up there to me. I hear ya though. Just been a great start for him. Love to see it.

#154 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 December 2022 - 12:09 PM

I think he is smart, talented player.  OK my work cellTo me, last night was an eye opener.  He has been good so far, but has let the game come to him.  Last night in crunch time you could see him taking the game over.  He wanted that last shot, came off a screen from JuJu and drilled the 3.  Dagger, game over!!  Very impressive.

@mikeghg

#155 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 03 December 2022 - 03:45 PM

This is the first game I watched in a while and even with that hero ball shot I felt like Willard's influence was clear. Young came off an effective screen from Reese. Even when we had good big men like Stix Turgeon couldn't really get the team to move off ball effectively. If I had a nickel for every time I saw Stix whiff on his screen at Maryland I'd be rich.

#156 BoomerFT

BoomerFT
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 10:33 AM

During the Big after game show, one of the panelist stated that the Terps have the best starting 5 in the Big. The problem will lie with the Terps depth, especially inside. Coach only went 8 deep against Illinois. Hopefully that will change & other players will step up when they get the opportunity.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#157 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 05 December 2022 - 03:24 PM

I didn't see defensive rotations, but I remember Reese had foul trouble against Illinois.  Did Maryland play Hart in the paint defensively when Reese was out?  It looks like Patrick Emilien played some as well, but we definitely struggled while Reese was on the bench.

#158 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 December 2022 - 04:38 PM

I didn't see defensive rotations, but I remember Reese had foul trouble against Illinois.  Did Maryland play Hart in the paint defensively when Reese was out?  It looks like Patrick Emilien played some as well, but we definitely struggled while Reese was on the bench.

I really don't think the offense struggles in the second half had much to with Reese's foul trouble.  JuJu struggled the whole game but came up big, with a block shot, a put back, then a good screen on on Young's game winner.  The offense slowed the second hald because Illinois played solid defense and got very physical.  Maryland got it together the last few minutes and got the game.

FWIW, Maryland's defense was good too.  Maryland scored 30 in the second half. Illinois 32.

@mikeghg

#159 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 December 2022 - 05:36 PM

I didn't see defensive rotations, but I remember Reese had foul trouble against Illinois. Did Maryland play Hart in the paint defensively when Reese was out? It looks like Patrick Emilien played some as well, but we definitely struggled while Reese was on the bench.

When Reese was out, it was Emilien playing the five. They did go to a zone a bit which definitely helped overcome the size mismatch, but couldn’t do it full-time with Illinois’ ability to shoot from outside.

I put the quote elsewhere, but Willard said they haven’t had the time to fully install all of the offensive sets they want to run in conference play yet. He expects them to look better when things really get under way in January.
  • hallas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=