5 replies to this topic

#1 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

I don't follow amateur players. I know several folks pay way more attention to draft issues than I do. For those of you who do, why was Trout a sleeper? He got picked at the end of the 1st round. That's not as bad as every team passing on Eddie and Cal, but why did 24 teams pass on Trout? What was invisible to everybody?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#2 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

I don't think he crept up on anyone. He was a top prospect since he was drafted. When you have a historic season at 20 years old you're going to surprise everyone, I don't care how highly you thought of him.

#3 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

I don't follow amateur players. I know several folks pay way more attention to draft issues than I do. For those of you who do, why was Trout a sleeper? He got picked at the end of the 1st round. That's not as bad as every team passing on Eddie and Cal, but why did 24 teams pass on Trout? What was invisible to everybody?

I remember hearing something about how he crosses his hands when he swings or something like that.

Keep in mind that every team passed on Mike Piazza NUMEROUS times.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#4 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

Mike Trout did not come out of nowhere in terms of rankings. He was always a consensus top 10 player in his class.

Every team held his contact, defense, and speed in high regard. There were mixed results on power ceiling and whether he had the physical projection at that time. In the spring was a mixed bag, Borchering was performing well, and by no means is a 25th player a (where did he come from)...

He has base talent, look at what he did in development. He went from 180 pounds to 210 pounds, jacked. He was tutored well by hitting instructors and started to play in hot weather year around. He had that makeup to push himself beyond the brink, improve.

With the size, he has legit plus power, always had good contact when I saw him in the 2008 summer. He made himself into the total package.

Maybe it is, "not where did he comes from..."

Maybe it is, "Look what you can do when your athletic if he make every effort to be the best baseball player you can be through hard work, effort, and proper coaching."
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@Olsen_Don

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

Keith Law has talked about this a couple times this year, and his argument is essentially:

- Trout played high school ball in south Jersey. That isn't exactly a prospect hotbed, so he wasn't playing with particularly good competition.

- The year he came out in the draft saw a lot of terrible weather in that region, so there were fewer chances for scouts to see him than normal.

- The last big-time prospect out of that part of the country before Trout was an athletic kid with huge power potential named Billy Rowell. Scouts saw what happened with Rowell and that made them more wary about drafting similar prospects from that area.

Altogether it ended up meaning that there were too many questions around him to take him as high as he otherwise should have gone.
  • RShack likes this

#6 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Keith Law has talked about this a couple times this year, and his argument is essentially:

- Trout played high school ball in south Jersey. That isn't exactly a prospect hotbed, so he wasn't playing with particularly good competition.

- The year he came out in the draft saw a lot of terrible weather in that region, so there were fewer chances for scouts to see him than normal.

- The last big-time prospect out of that part of the country before Trout was an athletic kid with huge power potential named Billy Rowell. Scouts saw what happened with Rowell and that made them more wary about drafting similar prospects from that area.

Altogether it ended up meaning that there were too many questions around him to take him as high as he otherwise should have gone.

That makes sense... thanks...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=