MASN: Recapping recent events in Orioles' offseason

https://www.masnspor...ioles-offseason

#2 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 November 2022 - 08:35 AM

Letting Diaz walk is more important than the single decision they made about him, specifically. For decades, this team has seemingly viewed every one of their higher profile prospects as if they were destined to be future HOFers. I think cutting bait shows a different mentality. And I think it's a better one. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#3 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 10:38 AM

Letting Diaz walk is more important than the single decision they made about him, specifically. For decades, this team has seemingly viewed every one of their higher profile prospects as if they were destined to be future HOFers. I think cutting bait shows a different mentality. And I think it's a better one. 

I think the key difference is, he wasnt drafted in-house and expected to be a superstud and future HOF.

He was damaged goods received in the Manny firesale, ordered by Angelos.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 10:44 AM

I think the key difference is, he wasnt drafted in-house and expected to be a superstud and future HOF.

He was damaged goods received in the Manny firesale, ordered by Angelos.

This is a really inaccurate evaluation of Diaz at the time of the trade. He was an excellent prospect. Better than Cowser, IMO, for example.

He was a bust, but that doesn't mean he never had potential.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 10:46 AM

I also disagree that letting Diaz (and Stewart) go now is different than the way any other failed prospect of the past would've been treated. They gave him every opportunity to get it together, more than that even by calling him up this year.

The keep guys until there is no hope left and/or they need their spot. That's what's they've always done. The value of the 40-man spot has increased now, since they are going to actually try to play baseball. So the threshold a flailing prospect needs to meet is now higher.

#6 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:15 AM

This is a really inaccurate evaluation of Diaz at the time of the trade. He was an excellent prospect. Better than Cowser, IMO, for example.

Ok, my memory is faded as my intense dislike of this trade.

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 November 2022 - 02:42 PM

I agree for the most part, but it is easier to cut players that were not acquired by your regime.

• weird-O likes this
@mikeghg

#8 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 04:14 PM

This is my opinion too. If I remember correctly, he was on the DL at the time of the trade? I may be mistaken. But he was the gem in that package. 

#9 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 04:16 PM

I also disagree that letting Diaz (and Stewart) go now is different than the way any other failed prospect of the past would've been treated. They gave him every opportunity to get it together, more than that even by calling him up this year.

The keep guys until there is no hope left and/or they need their spot. That's what's they've always done. The value of the 40-man spot has increased now, since they are going to actually try to play baseball. So the threshold a flailing prospect needs to meet is now higher.

Maybe I'm wrong, since I really only follow the Orioles. Maybe what they do is the same as every other team, but it's more pronounced to me since I follow this team. 

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 05:01 PM

This is my opinion too. If I remember correctly, he was on the DL at the time of the trade? I may be mistaken. But he was the gem in that package.

He was not injured at the time of the trade. Played for Bowie within a couple days of the deal.
  • weird-O likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=