HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 July 2023 - 08:42 PM

Steve Melewski

@masnSteve
 In a (predraft) workout at Camden Yds....

Be interesting to know how many guys they worked out at OPaCY and how many teams he worked out for.  Guys you like, build relationships, know their number and hope the numbers can be managed to get the Talent you want, where (round) you want it. 

Feels like Fabian was sort of there with the Orioles last year.  Can't believe nobody wanted him later for that slot number he signed for.  Scare off other teams with an ask to get where you want.  We saw it happen with the Rangers last year for sure.

#163 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 08:43 PM

Wow. 111 is crazy. Get him signed

111 would be 8th on the team. Gunnar (113.8), Santander (113.0), Mateo (112.4), Mountcastle (112.2), McCann (112.1), Adley (111.1), Hays (111.0). Hays at 111 is 69th percentile in MLB.

Yeah, it's game vs BP, but still that's a nice # to be right there with the MLB guys.

• BobPhelan likes this

#164 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 10 July 2023 - 08:44 PM

God dammit...I can't even figure out patching drywall on youtube.

Not gonna lie, i mostly figured out how to patch drywall by hiring contractors to patch drywall and watching them do it.  I used to be really bad at it but after watching them do it I can at least fake it now.

#165 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 08:51 PM

Wild someone named their kid Braxton Bragg. I wonder if there's a family connection.

#166 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 09:20 PM

111 would be 8th on the team. Gunnar (113.8), Santander (113.0), Mateo (112.4), Mountcastle (112.2), McCann (112.1), Adley (111.1), Hays (111.0). Hays at 111 is 69th percentile in MLB.

Yeah, it's game vs BP, but still that's a nice # to be right there with the MLB guys.

Watching the HR derby Robert was hitting some 113s. Maybe a 114. Arozarena topped out at 110 I believe. At least in the 2nd round. Kinda puts it into perspective.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#167 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 10:51 AM

All outfielders and pitchers...

#168 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 11:07 AM

All outfielders and pitchers...

No hard and fast rules but its not surprising from the standpoint that they seemingly have the infield covered for the next 5 or 6 years. Also Bassalo and Willems behind Adley at C.

#169 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 12:48 PM

No hard and fast rules but its not surprising from the standpoint that they seemingly have the infield covered for the next 5 or 6 years. Also Bassalo and Willems behind Adley at C.

It makes me wonder if they will balk at an opportunity to trade their minor league infield prospects, since they're not taking anybody to step up in their place.

#170 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 01:11 PM

It makes me wonder if they will balk at an opportunity to trade their minor league infield prospects, since they're not taking anybody to step up in their place.

Its all about who. Holliday and Mayo are likely unavailable. Rest likely arent.

#171 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 July 2023 - 01:45 PM

I think they’re just going off of their board and the positions are just coincidence but doesn’t hurt that we have more infield prospects in our international crop so far.

Btw just took Blake Money in the 12th round, the great names continue.

#172 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,356 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 July 2023 - 02:50 PM

I think they’re just going off of their board and the positions are just coincidence but doesn’t hurt that we have more infield prospects in our international crop so far.

Don't you think their board also has some accounting of need and current depth in the system? Seems it would be foolish not too. Certainly in the first round or two you are looking more at best player available. But since its all uncertain anyway when you get to your pick are you taking your highest rated player left on your board or are you taking a guy a slot or two behind him because of the position?

Pretty hard to convince me that the O's drafting all pitchers and OFers didn't account to a fair degree their depth in the system at infield.

#173 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 02:59 PM

Sure, they're drafting straight off their board with some consideration for signing bonus game theory, but they also are stacking their board with college OF and pitching. There is no way it's just a coincidence how frequently they go college vs high school, or position versus pitching. The picks reflect their board which reflects their preferences. It's not a coincidence that they end up with the type of guys they end up with.

#174 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 July 2023 - 03:11 PM

Sure, they're drafting straight off their board with some consideration for signing bonus game theory, but they also are stacking their board with college OF and pitching. There is no way it's just a coincidence how frequently they go college vs high school, or position versus pitching. The picks reflect their board which reflects their preferences. It's not a coincidence that they end up with the type of guys they end up with.

Well sure, what I mean is I’m sure they have infielders on there. I don’t think they came in with a plan to only draft pitchers and outfielders.

#175 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 03:27 PM

Drafting for need in the draft would be ridiculous. Get the player you think has the most talent/potential and go from there.

#176 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 03:39 PM

45 Tanner Witt
RHP
TEXAS
DOB:
07-11-2002
HEIGHT:
6-5
WEIGHT:
Tanner-Witt_Stephen-Spillman-AP-Photo-10
Scouting Report
Bats: R, Throws: R

Witt returned to the mound for the Longhorns a few weeks ago, just a year off Tommy John, but hasn't been very effective or shown the same kind of stuff that made him a likely first-rounder before he got hurt, as he's been a lot of 89-92 mph with just an adequate breaking ball, and he's walked seven in 9.2 innings while allowing 10 runs (through the regionals). His delivery is fine and should allow him to have above-average control at some point, although he’s been erratic this spring. He really looks like a guy who’s just off Tommy John surgery and hasn’t gotten his full stuff or command back, rather than someone who’s never going to be the same player, and it might just be a matter of how fast he returned to competitive pitching. He could be a patient team’s second-pick overpay in the hopes that more time gets him back to where he was in 2021.

#177 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,515 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 July 2023 - 03:39 PM

Of their 20 picks so far, just 1 HS player. And of the 13 pitchers taken, only 1 is LH.

#178 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 July 2023 - 04:10 PM

Well sure, what I mean is I’m sure they have infielders on there. I don’t think they came in with a plan to only draft pitchers and outfielders.

Was just thinking that they took a bunch of guys that look like quick moving BP types. A couple guys that could be potential closers and a few others that look like strong set up men.
@JeremyMStrain

#179 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 July 2023 - 04:18 PM

Was just thinking that they took a bunch of guys that look like quick moving BP types. A couple guys that could be potential closers and a few others that look like strong set up men.

I actually think they got a bunch of guys with starters pitch mixes. Similar to the guys they’ve drafted and developed the past few years but with some high velocity thrown into the mix. They’ll stretch them out and develop them as starters at least until AAA and see which ones stick. The cupboard is now overflowing with pitchers with potential.

#180 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 July 2023 - 04:19 PM

Of their 20 picks so far, just 1 HS player. And of the 13 pitchers taken, only 1 is LH.

Took another one, SS Kollin Ritchie, with the 19th pick. Will be a tough sign.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=