#21 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,536 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 September 2022 - 03:32 PM

I can't believe they called that a fumble.  It didn't look to me like he ever even  possessed the ball.  It appeared to wobble out of his hands before he fully caught it.

Oh well...

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#22 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 03:50 PM

Hamilton wasn't on the field much today, but I'm guessing he got himself out of the doghouse for that strip tackle.

From what I've read he's mainly just playing in dime or quarters, which they didn't use much yesterday compared to the other games (though it was much more effective than last week when they did). That could be a function of Hamilton or of the package they wanted to use.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,986 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 03:54 PM

Let's just run a 3-2-6 and call it day.

#24 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 26 September 2022 - 03:56 PM

From what I've read he's mainly just playing in dime or quarters, which they didn't use much yesterday compared to the other games (though it was much more effective than last week when they did). That could be a function of Hamilton or of the package they wanted to use.

They let Damarion Williams, Stephens, and JAD get repeatedly torched in dime/quarter sets, so I'm not entirely buying this.

#25 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:02 PM

I know that is your focus but the responsibility for that rests on both sides.

I find it interesting that there's a perception that Ravens lowballed Jackson. Granted, the guaranteed dollars were not where Jackson wanted them to be but he wouldn't be paid only the guaranteed dollars. If the reports we heard about the Ravens' contract proposal were true, Lamar would've earned market value for his services. He would have to be on the field and productive, just like every other NFL player not named Deshaun Watson. 

I'm not saying I agree with one side or the other but that's the economics of the NFL, for better or worse. Teams/owners have always had the advantage of having non guaranteed contracts that they could get out of if injuries and/or underperformance became an issue. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,655 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:25 PM

I think both sides are being reasonable. Watson and the Browns just effed it all up. Jackson deserves more than Watson, that's clear. But it's reasonable for the Ravens to say that contract is an outlier. That's the harder argument, IMO, since the NFL doesn't really have outliers it just has new norms. But it was so different than all the deals before it that maybe they'll end up being right.

Jackson has all the leverage though, as long as he's willing to take on the risk of not having his long term deal done while playing.
  • Greg Pappas, PrimeTime and bmore_ken like this

#27 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 26 September 2022 - 06:19 PM

I think both sides are being reasonable. Watson and the Browns just effed it all up. Jackson deserves more than Watson, that's clear. But it's reasonable for the Ravens to say that contract is an outlier. That's the harder argument, IMO, since the NFL doesn't really have outliers it just has new norms. But it was so different than all the deals before it that maybe they'll end up being right.
Jackson has all the leverage though, as long as he's willing to take on the risk of not having his long term deal done while playing.

It's an exercise in futility but I can't help but wonder that if Lamar had an agent, would a deal already be done?
  • bmore_ken likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,655 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 06:37 PM

It's an exercise in futility but I can't help but wonder that if Lamar had an agent, would a deal already be done?

No, it wouldn't. They are off fundamentally, not on any small detail or contract language. Lamar is getting guidance from professionals (NFLPA), so it's not like he is just unaware of what a good offer is or what a reasonable demand is.

Looking financially, agents get 3%, so whatever Lamar thinks he's saving by self-representation maxes out at that 3%. I don't think the Ravens offered a deal that was 97% of the way to what Lamar is looking for.

#29 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:05 PM

Maybe?  But only because the agent would try harder to convince Jackson to take the best offer now.  I'd say that it wouldn't move the needle much though.  Jackson seems fairly hell-bent on proving his value and getting what he sees as fair value for himself, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Lamar Jackson is worth more than even the version of Deshaun Watson that doesn't have a suspension for sexual assault hanging over his head  Lamar is free to make that gamble.  I don't think QB salaries have topped out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=