#2 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 25 September 2022 - 04:16 PM

I thought Bateman's fumble was a sussy call. The catch technically checked off the boxes for a catch, but I feel like the refs should use a bit of common sense and say that if the defenders arms is around the ball and literally interlocked with the receiver as he is securing the ball, he hasn't established possession yet.
  • Greg Pappas and BSLJamieSieck like this

#3 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 04:34 PM

BSL: The Ravens Beat The Patriots; The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
https://baltimorespo...e-bad-the-ugly/

I noted it earlier in the week in the game thread. But Pats have one of the best overall offensive lines through the early part of the season. They have been phenomenal. I think that amplified our inability to create consistent pressure.

Also, the TV crew noted that Bateman had his man beat by a lot on the pass to Andrews out at the 50. Part of me wonders if his disappearing acts so far, are partially due to Lamar locking on to Andrews too much. Kid is good. Almost every time he gets the ball in his hands, he's making people miss, and picking up a lot of YAC. Roman and Lamar need to start giving him more chances.

Also good seeing JK out there, and not being limited too much. Should only get better from here.
  • BSLChrisStoner and BSLJamieSieck like this

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 04:44 PM

This game and the last one showed why Lamar needs to be signed ASAP

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 September 2022 - 08:52 PM

This game and the last one showed why Lamar needs to be signed ASAP

I know that is your focus but the responsibility for that rests on both sides.

@mikeghg

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 11:45 PM

I know that is your focus but the responsibility for that rests on both sides.

I don't disagree

#7 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:27 AM

I thought Bateman's fumble was a sussy call. The catch technically checked off the boxes for a catch, but I feel like the refs should use a bit of common sense and say that if the defenders arms is around the ball and literally interlocked with the receiver as he is securing the ball, he hasn't established possession yet.

That didn't sit right with me either. My wife, who doesn't know much about football, rhetorically asked, "did he actually have possession?"

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#8 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:51 AM

That didn't sit right with me either. My wife, who doesn't know much about football, rhetorically asked, "did he actually have possession?"

He had the ball but couldn't make a move with the defender right there. You could see the ball dropping down his body. No 10 min review this week.

#9 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 08:36 AM

Watched the early part of the game again. Up to about Lamar’s INT. Bateman didn’t have any opportunities to really be targeted. Looked like they drew up a lot of short routes and he was blanketed. Handful of like 5-7 yard curls into press coverage whereas if it was off man coverage he’s wide open on those. It was either Faalele’s first or second sack allowed that Bateman was in one on one coverage and ran a deep cross near the goal line. He had great position but as Lamar was about to cock his arm back is when he got hit. Eyes his direction though.
@BSLMikeRandall

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 09:33 AM

Watched the early part of the game again. Up to about Lamar’s INT. Bateman didn’t have any opportunities to really be targeted. Looked like they drew up a lot of short routes and he was blanketed. Handful of like 5-7 yard curls into press coverage whereas if it was off man coverage he’s wide open on those. It was either Faalele’s first or second sack allowed that Bateman was in one on one coverage and ran a deep cross near the goal line. He had great position but as Lamar was about to cock his arm back is when he got hit. Eyes his direction though.

That guy really sucked ughhh

#11 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 09:43 AM

At first he did, but he settled in and they gave him some help. Had some good run blocking moments and was good enough pass blocking. Ask Lamar: "One sack happened, and then after that, he just started dominating like he did in college. I didn't doubt him at all...Shoutout to Faalele because he stepped up major."

Can't ask for much more from your 4th string 4th round project who never played LT before. He needs to grow up quick with Von Miller coming though.

• Greg Pappas, Mackus and russsnyder like this

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 10:09 AM

I'm with mako, I think this worked out as good as could be expected given his profile.  Beaten handily early, but then I don't recall him being a problem at all in the second half.  I'm not smart enough to analyze protection, but I think maybe it just took Roman a series or two to realize that he had to give Faalele help in pass protection, either with a back or TE or double team from the LG..

#13 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 01:47 PM

He had the ball but couldn't make a move with the defender right there. You could see the ball dropping down his body. No 10 min review this week.

He had the ball but he had the defender's arm with it. I feel like in that situation, if the defender's arm is on the ball and interlocked like that with the receiver it should default to no catch until the receiver gets free of the arm.

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 02:02 PM

I feel like in that situation, if the defender's arm is on the ball and interlocked like that with the receiver it should default to no catch until the receiver gets free of the arm.

I thought it was incomplete because there wasn't a "football move" between when it was first being secured and when it was ripped out. That's murky, though, and one area that's wildly open to interpretation.

But sort of to this particular aspect of it that you note, if both defender and receiver have hands on the ball and its secure between the two of them, then that is a simultaneous catch which is always ruled a catch for the offense.  If both guys had a hand on it and it was secure and someone was making a football move, then it is in fact a catch, and then if it comes out its a fumble.

Tough call.

• hallas likes this

#15 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 02:22 PM

The one time the broadcast really showed the slo-mo replay, it looked pretty clear to me that he was still "securing" the ball. It was moving a little bit and not firmly in his hands / fingers.  The announcers described something slightly different than what the video actually showed.  He gets hit immediately and the ball pops out.  Basically he started the catch, put two feet down, and got blasted, ball's out immediately.  No "football" move.  No completion through the ground, nothing more.

Said this in another thread, but Lee Evans infamous Superbowl trip drop was as much of a catch to me than that one was.

But... the calls have a major tendency to lean the Patriots was in Foxborough...

#16 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 03:20 PM

I thought it was incomplete because there wasn't a "football move" between when it was first being secured and when it was ripped out. That's murky, though, and one area that's wildly open to interpretation.

But sort of to this particular aspect of it that you note, if both defender and receiver have hands on the ball and its secure between the two of them, then that is a simultaneous catch which is always ruled a catch for the offense.  If both guys had a hand on it and it was secure and someone was making a football move, then it is in fact a catch, and then if it comes out its a fumble.

Tough call.

Thanks for the clarification.  Even with that, it's still a sussy call, man... the defender pulled the arm (and ball) out before he could make a running move.

#17 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 03:22 PM

Hamilton, Bynes, Peters, and Humphrey all scored over 90 this game in coverage, and along with Campbell, over 80 overall.

PFF thinks the vast majority of the passing yardage was given up against (Damarion) Williams, Stephens, and JAD in coverage.  The three of them gave up 182 yards on 7 catches.  If Kyle Fuller were healthy, man........  We have to stop letting our 3rd, 4th and 5th CBs cover their biggest threats.

Hamilton wasn't on the field much today, but I'm guessing he got himself out of the doghouse for that strip tackle.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the clarification.  Even with that, it's still a sussy call, man... the defender pulled the arm (and ball) out before he could make a running move.

I agree.  If this play happened in the endzone, I think its called incomplete right away.  You gotta slow it down pretty significantly to make it seem like Bateman (with or without the defender also having possession) had it then did something then lost it.

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 03:24 PM

It felt like a fumble IMO

#20 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 03:31 PM

I finally watched the game today and I can't complain about the Bateman fumble. I could see a call either way but without conclusive evidence, I'm not surprised it stood. Ultimately, he has to make sure he doesn't lose the ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=