@bopper33

#85 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 09:07 PM

Mateo got pitched to, confused by the inside fastball after everything else away.

He swung at ball 4 twice.

#86 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 September 2022 - 09:10 PM

Are you saying per game? Certainly its more than that over a whole season.

Yeah per game. So about 16 plate appearances over the course of a season per spot?

#87 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 09:17 PM

Is there any disincentive to calling up prospects at this point? Won’t hit rookie status obviously. What else? G.Rod, Westburg, the whole gang. Get ‘em a cup of coffee.
@BSLMikeRandall

#88 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 September 2022 - 09:45 PM

Relax. They are 8-9 in Sept. its not ideal but it isnt a collapse. After they win tonight it will be back to .500

They are 5-10 in their last 15, during the most critical stretch of the year. It’s a meltdown. Especially so for the offense.

#89 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 07:14 AM

Is there any disincentive to calling up prospects at this point? Won’t hit rookie status obviously. What else? G.Rod, Westburg, the whole gang. Get ‘em a cup of coffee.

If they are going to break camp with the team in 2023 (Rodriguez) then no, no disincentive, aside from possibly playing poorly and hurting the team.

If they aren't going to break camp with the team to begin next season (Westburg, Ortiz, Cowser) then any days this season you have them on the roster adds to how many days on the roster you need to hold them down next season.  Two weeks left, so we'd be talking about early May instead of mid-April next year.

That's if you want to play the service time game, which I think is generally still pretty mandatory for a team like the O's.  Its not about only money but moreso about time which you can't just purchase.  So I'm ok with it when you're talking about 2-4 weeks of a guy's rookie campaign at the outset of a season versus the entirety of a year smack in the middle of their prime.  I'm fully against waiting until mid-June just to avoid Super-2.  

• Mike in STL and makoman like this

#90 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 07:17 AM

Also if someone doesn’t have to be on the 40 man this winter you may not want to put him on now and use up a spot for just a handful of games. Not sure if this applies to anyone notable, haven’t looked into it.
  • Mackus and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#91 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,950 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 07:48 AM

Also if someone doesn’t have to be on the 40 man this winter you may not want to put him on now and use up a spot for just a handful of games. Not sure if this applies to anyone notable, haven’t looked into it.

Absolutely. I believe GRod is the only one that has to be on the 40 man this Nov. I think it is the reason Westburg hasnt been up and wont be up this year. That and as Mack siad you generally still need to play the service manipulation game.

#92 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,950 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 07:54 AM

You guys can and probably will disagree but Im not to down about the way theyve played of late. Theyve always been playing too much catch up and are too many guys short. The fact that we have Adley and Gunnar performing in the Show along with legit other MLB talent either surrounding them or on the cusp is so exciting. To go along with that is the ability to spend on payroll and the commitment of the GM that we will do so. Loved the 2012-2016 teams but I havent been this excited heading into an offseason since '96-'97

#93 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:07 AM

You guys can and probably will disagree but Im not to down about the way theyve played of late. Theyve always been playing too much catch up and are too many guys short. The fact that we have Adley and Gunnar performing in the Show along with legit other MLB talent either surrounding them or on the cusp is so exciting. To go along with that is the ability to spend on payroll and the commitment of the GM that we will do so. Loved the 2012-2016 teams but I havent been this excited heading into an offseason since '96-'97

This may shock you, but I agree.  I really appreciate the effort, this team has put forth this year.  I see all the negative stuff in the game threads, but these guys have far overachieved, but the bottom line is that the contenders have gone to a level, that is not in our tool bag, YET.  The losses to the Tigers are hard to take but that happens in baseball.  My remaining goal for this team, is to stay over .500.

This off season is very important, and the Orioles need to be aggressive.

@mikeghg

#94 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,950 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:13 AM

We have to remember our low point was 11 games under. Even with the poor play of late we've played 16 over since our low point which was 24-35. 60 games into the season

#95 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:25 AM

We have to remember our low point was 11 games under. Even with the poor play of late we've played 16 over since our low point which was 24-35. 60 games into the season

Good point.  I think what we are seeing now, is frustration, disappointment and maybe resignation.  The interesting thing, at least to me is that the dynamic duo are the ones who are playing free and loose, while some of the veterans are pressing and are playing tight.  I am not going to bash the team, they made baseball fun again and have gotten us to the point, where it is time for Angelos and the front office to sign a few impact players that move us to the next level.

@mikeghg

#96 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:27 AM

Two bad weeks doesn't spoil the year, but it spoils the past two weeks (and the remaining two that could've meant something but now almost certainly won't). I don't know what to say if you simply don't care about the dream dying for this season. I think we all knew it was a long shot but still was a shot and its sad when that rapidly approaches zero.

The good things that are setting up for the future remain good. The projected holes on the roster remain holes for now. The question marks, especially about whether they actually will do anything to improve externally, remain question marks. Reason abound for both pessimism and optimism. Lots of ways they could go to build the roster. I have my preferences, but I won't really argue at all over the exact path chosen as long as its a path of significant investment. The only truly bad plan would be one that adds very little. Such as if they tell us that they don't need SP because we've got Rodriguez and Means joining a rotation that put up a 4.50 ERA.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#97 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,950 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:40 AM

Two bad weeks doesn't spoil the year, but it spoils the past two weeks (and the remaining two that could've meant something but now almost certainly won't). I don't know what to say if you simply don't care about the dream dying for this season. I think we all knew it was a long shot but still was a shot and its sad when that rapidly approaches zero.

The good things that are setting up for the future remain good. The projected holes on the roster remain holes for now. The question marks, especially about whether they actually will do anything to improve externally, remain question marks. Reason abound for both pessimism and optimism. Lots of ways they could go to build the roster. I have my preferences, but I won't really argue at all over the exact path chosen as long as its a path of significant investment. The only truly bad plan would be one that adds very little. Such as if they tell us that they don't need SP because we've got Rodriguez and Means joining a rotation that put up a 4.50 ERA.

Disagree. Its all up hill. Still have to play the games of course but I dont see any reason to be pessimistic.

#98 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:45 AM

Disagree. Its all up hill. Still have to play the games of course but I dont see any reason to be pessimistic

Last names start with "A"

Lot of holes to fill next year, too.  We have to get a lot better to simply match this year's win total.  We're not starting at 81 or wherever we finish and just adding a few more wins.  Gotta make up for the things we don't expect to repeat at well.  That's mostly stuff from the pitching staff, but some position players as well (Mateo).

If Elias has the budget and the control, then great.  I'm not convinced of either.  We'll find out soon.  I don't think there will be much mystery by the end of the offseason whether they are actually adding and trying or just more of the same nonsense we've seen.

#99 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,950 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 09:00 AM

See I dont see us having huge holes to fill. Even if we have to go completely in house for '23 I think we are competitive. 

• BSLChrisStoner and BobPhelan like this

#100 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,088 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 09:01 AM

See I dont see us having huge holes to fill. Even if we have to go completely in house for '23 I think we are competitive. 

They could roll back with what they have and contend.  But they'll add, and they'll be better. 

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=