• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 10:27 AM

“Our plan for this offseason has always been to significantly escalate the payroll, a lot of that’s going to come through our own guys going into arbitration but also we plan to explore free agency much more aggressively” Elias on The Front Office

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 August 2022 - 10:30 AM

This dude’s obsessed with talking about next year, when this team is right in the thick of it.
  • Mike B, Nigel Tufnel, BSLSteveBirrer and 1 other like this

#3 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:20 AM

Dude...don't tell me the payroll is going to go up because of arbitration.

That's about the last thing I want to hear.
  • You Play to Win the Game and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:21 AM

They’ll be aggressive for the scraps once the top tier talent is gone.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:24 AM

Aggressively “exploring” free agency and getting it done are two different things. But mainly, I couldn’t care less about this upcoming offseason at this very moment.
  • mdrunning likes this

#6 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:33 AM

Dude...don't tell me the payroll is going to go up because of arbitration.

That's about the last thing I want to hear.

Exactly. All that did was water down what I'm sure was intended to be a rallying cry to the fans. Just leave that part out. Every team sees payroll increases because of arbitration.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#7 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:43 AM

“…through our own guys going through arbitration…except for our All-Star closer that we traded for practically nothing. We avoided arbitration there. Whew.”
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:46 AM

<<laughs>>

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 12:00 PM

That's a very obnoxious quote. I'll withhold fury until they actually disappoint, but I cannot get on board with those that expect them to make significant external additions.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this

#10 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 August 2022 - 12:01 PM

He (lately) keeps talking like a guy that knows he won't have to be accountable. 

#11 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 August 2022 - 12:16 PM

I know we're stupid as fans and have NO IDEA how a ML team works, but...

The Orioles have ONE ARB2 player next year.  That's Santander (some sites use ARB3, but he was a Super2, so for alignment with FA, he's really ARB2) and there's certainly questions about whether he gets dealt in the offseason.

John Means is also (alignment) an ARB2, but he's already signed his contract for 2023 (3.975M)

The Orioles have FIVE ARB1 players.  Voth, Mullins, Hays, Tate and Mateo.  Voth, Tate and Mateo - if they're still here - will be modest raises, likely under 2M.  Mullins and Hays should receive raises to the 3-4M range (I think at the lower end of that).

Voth is 30, ARB1 and out of options, so if you offer him ARB, he's on the team (unless traded).

Mateo will be interesting, he's certainly been useful but everyone wants him replaced. I think it's harder for him to give up his role and go back to UT at this point, but we'll see.

Mike Elias absolutely knows that the raises through Arbitration are insignificant.  His words are likely still intentional.

#12 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 12:28 PM

When this organization actually focuses on wins at the major league level I'll believe it. Up until now the focus has been on the farm system with some questionable moves at the big league level. These quotes certainly don't help.

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 12:34 PM

You donks are gonna read into it what you want. Significantly esculate the payroll. Aggessively persue FA. Of course going to 75 or 80 mil for '23 wont be enough for most of you anyway. You have unrealistic expectations that they are going to be 120+ plus mil next year
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 12:53 PM

You don't get credit for trying...but he's again on record saying they plan to be active in FA (and that ramping up the spending has been the plan).

He is being as clear as he possibly can be.
  • russsnyder likes this

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 12:56 PM

He (lately) keeps talking like a guy that knows he won't have to be accountable.

You still think he's not going to be around much longer?

You think he enjoyed the losing, and now that he's on the precipice of a possible extended run based on the org he's put in place...he's going to want to bounce before he grabs a ring?

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 12:59 PM

You donks are gonna read into it what you want. Significantly esculate the payroll. Aggessively persue FA. Of course going to 75 or 80 mil for '23 wont be enough for most of you anyway. You have unrealistic expectations that they are going to be 120+ plus mil next year

They're at like $45M or so if they tender everyone and pick up Lyles option. $70-$75M payroll after the off-season would be bare minimum, IMO. Any less than that and it's gonna be real hard to argue they give anything resembling an eff about competing.

$25-30M in additions is like two above average players. It's not much.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 August 2022 - 02:21 PM

No lack of CYA in that quote. Of course they're going to have a higher payroll next season, factoring in the raises that the current players likely to return will receive. When you are beginning from a place that is at rock bottom, you aren't saying much there. They could "significantly" increase payroll by 25% over this season and they're still spending less than $60M.

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 05:26 PM

They're at like $45M or so if they tender everyone and pick up Lyles option. $70-$75M payroll after the off-season would be bare minimum, IMO. Any less than that and it's gonna be real hard to argue they give anything resembling an eff about competing.

$25-30M in additions is like two above average players. It's not much.

Active player payroll was my baseline. They wont be paying Lyles 11 mil nor are they likely to keep all their arb elig guys

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 05:35 PM

Its BS. You guys bitched and moaned for years as we rebuilt and spent essentially no money in FA. Crickets from him. You guys hated that he never talked about competing. Now he is talking up a storm.He doubles and triples down but now he is apparently a used car salesman. You cant have it both ways
  • russsnyder likes this

#20 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 August 2022 - 06:16 PM

Do we even know what prompted this response? Was he asked by a reporter about next year or the off-season? If so he can’t just say “no comment”

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=