• Please log in to reply
429 replies to this topic

#301 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 07:43 PM

Balt Banner: Jackson Holliday is going to get ‘every opportunity’ to make Orioles roster, Hyde says

https://www.thebalti..._eid=9204bbd6c0

#302 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 03:40 AM

I took Hyde’s comments as typical manager speak. My interpretation was that we’ll give him a long look before we send him down.

This did not seem like typical Elias speak.

Elias says it's "definitely a very strong possibility" that Holliday makes the club in spring training
alt By Roch Kubatko Orioles December 05, 2023, 5:45pm Comments

Typical Elias speak, IMO, is to mention how little experience Holliday has in AAA and perhaps needing more experience at 2B but he’s got a chance this spring and you never know.

#303 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 10:28 AM

Law:

Holliday went from “maybe he’s a first-rounder” in the fall of 2021, his senior year of high school, to “oh my God he’s the best prospect in baseball” by May of 2023, an unbelievable rise — you could say meteoric, but I prefer to avoid such clichés — that’s a testament to both his natural talent and his incredible feel for the game. He played at all four full-season levels of the minors in 2023, dominating the first three before a solid stint at Triple-A Norfolk to end the year, with a composite line of .323/.442/.499 on the season and 101 walks against 118 strikeouts. He has exceptional hand-eye coordination, so even when he’s fooled by a pitch he often manages to make contact with it, even hard contact. I do think major-league pitchers will force him to shorten up his swing sometimes, as he nearly always swings full bore and no one has given him any reason to do otherwise. He’s a 50/55 runner, likely to end up average once he fills out, a process that will begin as soon as he starts shaving every day. Holliday is a natural shortstop whose position wouldn’t be in doubt if the Orioles didn’t already have an incumbent there — and Holliday is a better defender than Gunnar Henderson at short — but he’s moved around the infield a little and could come up at third or second if Baltimore doesn’t want to dislodge the AL Rookie of the Year. He reminds me in several ways of Troy Tulowitzki, but has the advantage of the left-handed bat and has a better feel for the strike zone. I think he’ll hit .280-.300 with strong walk rates and 25+ homers a year to go with above-average defense at shortstop, and that’s a profile that can win an MVP award.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#304 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 03:41 PM

#305 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 20 February 2024 - 07:03 AM

Lift, hit, eat: Inside Orioles top prospect Jackson Holliday’s offseason training program

#306 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 05:19 PM

#307 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 09:18 AM

1. If Jackson Holliday finishes top two in ROY voting, he gets a full year of service time anyway. 2. This might keep Jackson Holliday on the 2030 Orioles. But Adley Rutschman, Gunnar Henderson, Grayson Rodriguez, etc. could all be gone by then. They're on the 2024 team, though.

• SonicAttack likes this

#308 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 09:54 AM

Balt Sun: Jackson Holliday is ready for the big leagues. The Orioles just aren’t ready to call him up yet.

https://www.baltimor...liday-analysis/

The Texas Rangers, the team that swept the Orioles in the AL Division Series and went on to win the World Series last year, are having Wyatt Langford, their top prospect who has barely played in Triple-A, open the season in the majors.

The Rangers are pushing their chips to the middle of the table in hopes of repeating as World Series champions. The Orioles will always have 2030.

• SonicAttack likes this

#309 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 10:03 AM

Urias isnt chopped liver. Holliday has Boras as an agent. He wont sign an extension. This has to be done.
  • mdrunning likes this

#310 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 10:43 AM

Urias isnt chopped liver. Holliday has Boras as an agent. He wont sign an extension. This has to be done.

I agree with you, but if Holliday comes up later and still finishes at least second for Rookie of the Year, they Orioles don't get the extra year. Nor do they get the extra pick if he wins it.

#311 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 10:46 AM

Ill take the risk. Have to take the risk for the chance at the extra season. Its not solely about if the Os will be good in 2030. I expect they will be but even if they arent it gives you the real shot at another year of service time. That can be used to get you a good trade return.

#312 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 10:50 AM

Plus, when Holliday does come up, it would be a major promotional event at Camden Yards. 

#313 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,631 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 March 2024 - 10:59 AM

I get why they did it, but this still feels lousy.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#314 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 March 2024 - 11:29 AM

The problem is holding him down for just the 2-3 weeks probably doesn't impact his ROY chances at all. To ensure the 2030 season they'd probably have to hold him back at least several months and that is flat stupid.

#315 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 11:50 AM

The problem is holding him down for just the 2-3 weeks probably doesn't impact his ROY chances at all. To ensure the 2030 season they'd probably have to hold him back at least several months and that is flat stupid.

I don't think his RoY chances are that high. He's not the favorite the way Gunnar was last season.

Plus a year of control is probably 5X more valuable than a comp pick. I'll happily send him down for two weeks. If he comes up and still wins the award and we miss out on the pick, oh well. Risk is worth the benefit.
  • mdrunning likes this

#316 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 March 2024 - 11:57 AM

I don't think his RoY chances are that high. He's not the favorite the way Gunnar was last season.

Plus a year of control is probably 5X more valuable than a comp pick. I'll happily send him down for two weeks. If he comes up and still wins the award and we miss out on the pick, oh well. Risk is worth the benefit.

Maybe but according to this he's the favorite.

https://www.covers.c...f-the-year-odds

According to this one MLB execs have him a close second which, IIRC, is the same result as winning as far as the service time thing goes.

https://www.mlb.com/...selections-2024

#317 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 12:01 PM

Maybe but according to this he's the favorite.

https://www.covers.c...f-the-year-odds

According to this one MLB execs have him a close second which, IIRC, is the same result as winning as far as the service time thing goes.

https://www.mlb.com/...selections-2024

Same as winning for service but not same as winning for the pick, so still would've been worth the effort.

Carter is the favorite, IMO.

#318 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,631 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 March 2024 - 12:29 PM

FWIW Langford is the ROY fav on draft kings

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#319 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,756 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 23 March 2024 - 12:35 PM

I also don't feel like the O's postseason chances hinge on a couple weeks of Jackson playing.   We got along fine without him last year.  Get the extra year then call him up.

#320 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 12:40 PM

All of this 1000 times over

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Our Sponsors

width=