30 replies to this topic

#1 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:36 AM

OTV guys breifly touched on protecting a guy from the R5 this offseason. Got me thinking about who will need to be added to the 40 man. If we can start putting together that list that would be awesome. Also makes me wonder if we move some minor league guys at the deadline this year in addition to potentially selling ML guys like Trey, Santander, etc. Add and subtract and in the process you might make that 40 man crunch a little less severe in the offseason.

In particular I want to know what draft class guys will need to be protected. Is it the 2018 class or did the new CBA change things? Seemed like they were naming some 2019 draftees that need to be protected.

#2 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:42 AM

Is it after 5 years for HS draftee and 4 years for college? Am I remembering that right?
  • Mackus likes this

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,140 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:45 AM

Obvious candidates to come off: 

Diplan

Ellis

Gillaspie
Lakins
Reyes

Sulser
Vallimont
Voth
Watkins
A. Wells
Baker

Bannon

Martin

Odor
Urias
Nevin
Arauz

• BobPhelan and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:58 AM

Its based on age when they signed.  18 y/o and younger (so HS draftees and international kids) need to be added to the 40-man after 5 seasons.  19 y/o and older (college draftees) need to be added after 4 years.

So college players drafted in 2019, HS players drafted in 2018 and what few international signees were made in 2018.  Plus anyone who was previously eligible.

College 2019:

Kyle Stowers

Zach Watson

Joey Ortiz

HS 2018:

Grayson Rodriguez

Drew Rom

Possible I'm not finding the full slate but what I can find from the international class of 2018 doesn't really have anyone of note.  I don't think Isaac Bellony or Moises Ramirez need to be protected.

The above is all just guys originally signed or drafted by the Orioles.  Haven't looked up the exact year of acquisition for all of Elias' trade acquisitions.  Pinto was 2019 so he doesn't need to be added yet.

And gotta look at subtractions as well.  There are a handful of FA or trade candidates.  And then any of these guys could pretty easily be bumped off, those on the 60-day IL don't count right now:

Diplan, Ellis (60-day), Gillaspie, Lakins, Reyes, Sulser, Vallmont, Voth, Watkins, Wells (60-day), Arauz, Bannon, Martin, Nevin

Little tougher choices:

Baumann, Diaz, Vespi

• BobPhelan, TwentyThirtyFive and makoman like this

#5 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:00 AM

I never saw anything that changed eligibility in the new CBA.

Old rules were: if you sign at 18 or younger, eligible after 5th season. If sign older, eligible after 4th. 

So younger guys drafted in 2018 will be eligible, older guys drafted in 2019.

Additions would seem to be Grayson and Rom from 2018.

From 2019 there were tons of college picks. Adley and Stowers are already on, Ortiz should be protected, no clue about anyone else. Watson maybe but he's gone backwards.

Thanks for beating me to it Mackus!

ETA I didn't realize Stowers wasn't really on, that was just an exception I guess.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:02 AM

I thought Stowers was on as well, but he's not listed here: https://www.mlb.com/...s/roster/40-man

I think his callup may not have required a 40-man addition since it was a Covid replacement?  I didn't know that was an option, but I can't think of any other reason for him not to be on it and he certainly wasn't DFA'd after his cup of coffee.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:05 AM

I don't think we're at a crunch level yet.  Especially not with pitching.

Some of the position players who we aren't completely wanting to write off yet may be in jeopardy.  But I'm not gonna fret much if we lose Diaz or Nevin or someone similar (pending a surprising second half that earns them a clear roster spot).

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:11 AM

Handley
Ortiz
Peek
Bronovich
Rom
Neustrom

All guys where real drcisions will have to be made.

#9 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:14 AM

I thought Stowers was on as well, but he's not listed here: https://www.mlb.com/...s/roster/40-man

I think his callup may not have required a 40-man addition since it was a Covid replacement?  I didn't know that was an option, but I can't think of any other reason for him not to be on it and he certainly wasn't DFA'd after his cup of coffee.

Yeah Orioles twitter always announces roster moves. They said him and Garcia were selected "as a substitute player" then a few days later they were merely "returned" to Norfolk so they probably permit the sub to get a free move on and off the 40 man for the COVID restricted list stuff.

I agree that I don't see a big offseason crunch right now. Plenty of guys could come off with little bearing on the future. Still expect a trade or two this month too. Of course there could also be surprises like Gillaspie and to a lesser extent Bautista last year.

#10 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:16 AM

Grayson Rodriguez

Drew Rom

Kyle Stowers

Joey Ortiz

Maverick Handley

Connor Gillispie

Noah Denoyer

Zach Peek

Kyle Brnovich

Zach Watson

Garrett Stallings

Morgan McSweeney

• TwentyThirtyFive and makoman like this

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:17 AM

Denoyer
Ryan Watson

#12 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:19 AM

Grayson Rodriguez
Drew Rom
Kyle Stowers
Joey Ortiz
Maverick Handley
Connor Gillispie
Noah Denoyer
Zach Peek
Kyle Brnovich

Zach Watson
Garrett Stallings
Morgan McSweeney

So whats the deal with Vallimont. You guys talk him up. Understand hes pitched well in the SSS since coming to the Os organization but he was quite bad in his other stops. What makes him that intriguing.

#13 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:20 AM

Denoyer
Ryan Watson

Are you sure on Watson? He was an undrafted free agent after the 2020 draft.

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:21 AM

Def can and likely will cut some easy fat from Norfolk and the ML rosters. Still I would expect there to be more of a crunch than last year when both Vesppi and Neustrom had a chance of being lost

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:22 AM

Maybe i looked up the wrong Watson but I thought I saw he was drafted by the Dodgers in 2016

#16 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:25 AM

Obvious candidates to come off: 

Diplan

Ellis

Gillaspie
Lakins
Reyes

Sulser
Vallimont
Voth
Watkins
A. Wells
Baker

Bannon

Martin

Odor
Urias
Nevin
Arauz

Vallimont is a legitimate prospect and he's had a lot of success already since being claimed and letting him go back to his old delivery, I think he's safe.

They like Gillaspie, Baker, and Urias so I think they're fairly safe.

Alex Wells and Tyler Nevin could go either way.

The rest can go but you never know who could be added/subtracted at the trade deadline.

#17 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:26 AM

Maybe i looked up the wrong Watson but I thought I saw he was drafted by the Dodgers in 2016

I don't think he signed and then went to Auburn. Wasn't drafted in the shortened COVID draft and then we signed him afterwards.

• Mackus and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:30 AM

You're both right.  Watson was drafted in 2016 out of HS but didn't sign.  Undrafted in the truncated 2020 draft and signed that year.  So not yet eligible for Rule 5.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,140 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:33 AM

Vallimont is a legitimate prospect and he's had a lot of success already since being claimed and letting him go back to his old delivery, I think he's safe.

They like Gillaspie, Baker, and Urias so I think they're fairly safe.

Alex Wells and Tyler Nevin could go either way.

Vallimont has 29 walks in his 41 innings (hits and k's are good).  The 130 k's last year in 91 innings.. very cool, but even with that he carried an era over 6. He's 25 (yeah, everyone is older.. get it).  

If they like the arm, cool. But zero issue in losing him if it happens. 

Agree, they should like Gillaspie, Baker, Nevin, and Urias... they are usable.. Nevin and Urias can help at multiple positions.
Of the potential vulnerable guys, they are relatively safe. Particularly if they envision holding Henderson back to begin next year until they get the additional year of control.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:35 AM

Again, I want to know why Vallimont is particularly intriguing. Is his stuff that nasty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=