592 replies to this topic

#521 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 09:29 AM

CBS Sports: 2023 NFL Draft first-round grades, tracker: Cowboys get 'A' for Mazi Smith; Falcons get 'D' for Bijan Robinson

https://www.cbssport...bijan-robinson/

CBS Sports: 2023 NFL Draft: Home runs and head-scratchers from Round 1: Eagles, Seahawks shine; Lions confuse

https://www.cbssport...-lions-confuse/

With the caveat that I haven't read the story yet, the Atlanta pick was a head scratcher for me. 

#522 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,262 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 12:03 PM

Really surprised that Gonzalez was still there at 17.  The Patriots got a steal there. I bet if EDC had a lot more picks, he would have traded up to grab him.  And I'm really stunned that Porter wasn't picked in the 1st round.  Man, his stock must have plummeted for some reason. 

#523 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,599 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 April 2023 - 12:05 PM

Really surprised that Gonzalez was still there at 17. The Patriots got a steal there. I bet if EDC had a lot more picks, he would have traded up to grab him. And I'm really stunned that Porter wasn't picked in the 1st round. Man, his stock must have plummeted for some reason.

Steelers go first tonight. I bet they take.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#524 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,262 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 12:18 PM

Steelers go first tonight. I bet they take.

No doubt. 

#525 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,571 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 28 April 2023 - 03:55 PM

Would you package Queen and a 3rd rounder to move up to the 2nd round so we can get a better cornerback?  I think this might be the move.  I don't want to say Queen's entirely expendable, because he definitely started playing well once he had Roquan next to him to help cover for his shortfalls, but with Roquan as the main off-ball linebacker and Hamilton able to play about 5 defensive positions, Queen is a bit of a luxury, while having a CB2 isn't.

#526 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,881 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 04:32 PM

Would you package Queen and a 3rd rounder to move up to the 2nd round so we can get a better cornerback?  I think this might be the move.  I don't want to say Queen's entirely expendable, because he definitely started playing well once he had Roquan next to him to help cover for his shortfalls, but with Roquan as the main off-ball linebacker and Hamilton able to play about 5 defensive positions, Queen is a bit of a luxury, while having a CB2 isn't.

Yeah, I think that'd be a good use of resources.

Purely value-wise, if you care about the chart, going from #86 to the early part of the 2nd round is equivalent to getting back a mid- to late-second round pick.

#527 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 04:33 PM

Would you package Queen and a 3rd rounder to move up to the 2nd round so we can get a better cornerback? I think this might be the move. I don't want to say Queen's entirely expendable, because he definitely started playing well once he had Roquan next to him to help cover for his shortfalls, but with Roquan as the main off-ball linebacker and Hamilton able to play about 5 defensive positions, Queen is a bit of a luxury, while having a CB2 isn't.

With the recently freed cap space I might see if I can just sign someone in FA and keep the middle of the defense as strong as possible for a possible SB run. The roster is pretty talented.

With that said, if they love a guy in the draft, go get him.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#528 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 06:15 PM

Pittsburgh picks Joey Porter Jr.  I saw that coming from last night.  

• jamesdean likes this

#529 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 06:37 PM

Why wouldn’t TEN trade up into round 1 to get Levis and have the 5th year option? Would rather have that then the 7th round pick or something it would have cost to go up three or four spots than 33.
@BSLMikeRandall

#530 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 06:40 PM

Why wouldn’t TEN trade up into round 1 to get Levis and have the 5th year option? Would rather have that then the 7th round pick or something it would have cost to go up three or four spots than 33.

Sounded like they were trying to. But weren't offering enough to move teams out of the first.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#531 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,736 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 06:59 PM

The dangers of drafting a bust QB. They just wasted a 3rd round pick on Willis last year.

#532 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 07:24 PM

The dangers of drafting a bust QB. They just wasted a 3rd round pick on Willis last year.

Eh, it’s worth it to throw those darts. Pats drafted Jimmy G and still went to Super Bowls. Packers with Love and still went to Conference title games. Never know when a vet will turn into a pumpkin. Never know when a mid rounder discovers something and becomes a pro bowler.

I never liked the thought that if your QB gets hurt the season is over. You at least need a game manager or a guy with unknown ceiling to step in. Cooper Rush, Brock Purdy, etc. My guess is they took a chance on Willis, know what his ceiling is, move on.

It’s kind of exactly what the Ravens should have done a year ago, you saw Huntley in 20’ and 21’, not impressed, draft someone in the mid rounds to compete with him. Not a punter in round four. That guy last year instead of Huntley/Brown, maybe keeps the Division in play. Maybe has a better football IQ and they beat whomever in the playoffs. Or he’s no better than Huntley and you move on. Whichever undrafted punter they bring in instead probably does as good or better than whatshisface.

Huntleys spot should 100% be challenged either with a pick, or a vet FA.
@BSLMikeRandall

#533 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 07:24 PM

I remember last years draft how many people were saying Willis should have been the first QB off the board with a greater upside.  Still doesn't mean he can't be a good QB, maybe just the wrong system for him.   I really thought the Ravens could have taken him when he slipped well into the second round.  Might have been the perfect system for him to learn in with Lamar.  But I understand there were bigger needs at the time.  

#534 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 08:27 PM

Any chance Kelee Ringo is still around for us?

#535 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 08:51 PM

Sure, why not? The CBs have generally fallen quite a bit further than I expected, other than a few exceptions.

Also currently available at CB are Clark Phillips III, Darius Rush and Jakorian Bennett.

Cue the run on corners now.

#536 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,638 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 April 2023 - 09:02 PM

No.  The Ravens are going to sign a corner and a rush linebacker.  It may be Peters and Houston.  

@mikeghg

#537 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 09:08 PM

He's the one that could be a sleeper.  I'm surprised he is still there.  

#538 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,638 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 April 2023 - 09:14 PM

Thee picks away he still is.

@mikeghg

#539 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 09:18 PM

He's the one that could be a sleeper. I'm surprised he is still there.

6'2 with a 4.3 forty and good cover skills. I don't get it.

#540 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 09:21 PM

He's there.  I would be surprised if the Ravens don't take him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=