#21 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 April 2022 - 06:11 AM

Leaving Sunday for a little spring break getaway with the family.  Got a house on the lake (literally) on Lake Seneca, near Watkins Glen. Spring has been crazy busy so I'm looking forward to a little downtime to catch my breath before the long march to summer break.

• Mackus, Mike B and CantonJester like this

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 06:32 AM

Awesome area.  I'm a Cayuga Lake kid, that's where my parents are from and my grandparents and several aunts/uncles/cousins still live.  Visit there a couple times every year.  Still pretty cold this time of year, though.

• DuffMan likes this

#23 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 April 2022 - 07:09 AM

Yeah it's a great area, and a fairly easy drive  only 4-5 hours from Baltimore.   We've been to the area a few times.  I actually was in the area back in '04. We went camping for a weekend as part of a class I was taking at Salisbury.  I went back in '10 to run the Wineglass marathon and then my wife and I went up for a long weekend about 5 years ago.

It has been chilly up there but weather is looking good at least 60 starting on Monday.

#24 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 April 2022 - 11:02 AM

Trip was a blast!  House was a great location, as it was right near half a dozen breweries (within 3 miles of our house).  The weather was nice and the scenery was great as always.

Breweries we hit up while there included, Two Goats, Grist Iron, Scale House, Seneca Lake  and we also hit up Ithaca brewing.

Hiked  both the trail for Watkins Glen State Park (still some ice in the gorge trail so unfortunately that part) and Buttermilk Falls.  

Great time all around, very relaxing, kids behaved as well too!

• mweb08 and CantonJester like this

#25 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 01:50 PM

Was about to book a trip to Aurba or Curcacao over the weekend with friends and one of them realized their passport is expired. We're supposed to leave May 28.

Now he's scrambling to find a way to get it before then but there are no guarantees. Most expedited passports take 5-7 weeks to arrive.

Keep your passports current, people!

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#26 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 02:16 PM

Even if your passport isn't expired, some countries won't let you in if it's close to the expiration date.  I'd definitely think about renewing once you get under a year until it expires.

#27 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 02:17 PM

Even if your passport isn't expired, some countries won't let you in if it's close to the expiration date.  I'd definitely think about renewing once you get under a year until it expires.

Yeah we ran into this when my family went to DR and my sister's passport was 6 months from expiring. They allowed her in though.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 02:27 PM

Was about to book a trip to Aurba or Curcacao over the weekend with friends and one of them realized their passport is expired. We're supposed to leave May 28.

Now he's scrambling to find a way to get it before then but there are no guarantees. Most expedited passports take 5-7 weeks to arrive.

Keep your passports current, people!

Have him email his congressperson and senators offices.  They can get them turned around much faster.  It still takes however long it takes for them to receive and start processing, but once they do start processing your representatives can get them jumped to the front of the line.

Another option is to go to one of the few places where they do them same day, but I think the closest one is Buffalo and you need to make an appointment.

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 April 2022 - 05:02 PM

We just got back yesterday from our trip to the 3 most iconic cities of the West. NYC, London, and Paris.

It was a pretty great trip. We ate tremendously well (in London too), saw most of the iconic architecture, explored amazing history and art, and did some cool things like afternoon tea at the Ritz and went to London Stadium to see West Ham United.

We also really enjoyed the various drinking scenes from Brooklyn hipster breweries to British pubs and a Brooklyn esque brewery laden London hood to French wine at dinner and with cheese plates while outside people watching and a couple great Parisian dive bars as night caps.
  • Mackus, NewMarketSean and Nigel Tufnel like this

#30 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 09:55 PM

Have him email his congressperson and senators offices.  They can get them turned around much faster.  It still takes however long it takes for them to receive and start processing, but once they do start processing your representatives can get them jumped to the front of the line.

Another option is to go to one of the few places where they do them same day, but I think the closest one is Buffalo and you need to make an appointment.

He lives in NYC. So if there is anywhere that does them same day it must be there. 

#31 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 07:57 AM

We just got back yesterday from our trip to the 3 most iconic cities of the West. NYC, London, and Paris.

It was a pretty great trip. We ate tremendously well (in London too), saw most of the iconic architecture, explored amazing history and art, and did some cool things like afternoon tea at the Ritz and went to London Stadium to see West Ham United.

We also really enjoyed the various drinking scenes from Brooklyn hipster breweries to British pubs and a Brooklyn esque brewery laden London hood to French wine at dinner and with cheese plates while outside people watching and a couple great Parisian dive bars as night caps.

How was the COVID situation in England?  We're going to London in a few weeks, and we've been reading kind of dire things about the infection rate - 1 in 13 people in England currently has COVID, etc. (although I think that's dropping).  The test to return to the US is a little worrisome.

#32 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 08:10 AM

How was the COVID situation in England? We're going to London in a few weeks, and we've been reading kind of dire things about the infection rate - 1 in 13 people in England currently has COVID, etc. (although I think that's dropping). The test to return to the US is a little worrisome.

Well it seemed like covid was over for many over there. It's recommended in various places like the tube, museums, etc, but many weren't wearing masks.

You may already have your testing plan in place, but if not, we brought two rapid tests with us and used Azova to verify the results. Easy enough.

Btw, I think it was you that mentioned London Walks, which we really enjoyed. Thanks!

We also went to the wine place that I believe Sean recommended and that was cool.

I'd recommend The Barbary for dinner one night (make a reservation if you take me up on this recommendation).

Dishoom as well for Indian.
  • NewMarketSean and Nigel Tufnel like this

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 09:22 AM

Well it seemed like covid was over for many over there. It's recommended in various places like the tube, museums, etc, but many weren't wearing masks.

You may already have your testing plan in place, but if not, we brought two rapid tests with us and used Azova to verify the results. Easy enough.

Btw, I think it was you that mentioned London Walks, which we really enjoyed. Thanks!

We also went to the wine place that I believe Sean recommended and that was cool.

I'd recommend The Barbary for dinner one night (make a reservation if you take me up on this recommendation).

Dishoom as well for Indian.

Gordon's? Love that place.

#34 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 22 April 2022 - 10:07 AM

Gordon's? Love that place.

Yeah, it was really cool. Didn't have a ton of time there, but enough to get 2 glasses of wine.
  • NewMarketSean likes this

#35 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 10:44 AM

Booked Aruba after all. Almost a year to the day we went last year. Wanted to go to Curacao but the flights to Aruba are cheaper and non-stop from Balt/Wash.

May look at properties to buy a place down there.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#36 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 06:04 AM

Just got back from a great week in Maine. House on a lake with awesome fishing, swimming and boating. Got to spend 2 days at Acadia, will be going back to spend more time there.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#37 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 02:03 PM

We just booked airfare to Spain for late September/early October for our 20th anniversary. Gonna do San Sebastian, Bilbao, Valencia and Mallorca. We've been to Spain before, in 2017. Going to different places this time. Super pumped, it'll be the first time I can speak Spanish on a trip!

#38 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 July 2022 - 02:09 PM

OC in early august, Deep Creek in September and Ravens road trips to NY (both) and NO will close the travel year out for me.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#39 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 17 July 2022 - 05:27 PM

OC in early august, Deep Creek in September and Ravens road trips to NY (both) and NO will close the travel year out for me.

Trying to make the Ravens game in NOLA work for me. I think it will.

#40 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 July 2022 - 05:42 PM

Trying to make the Ravens game in NOLA work for me. I think it will.

If you can try to hit Baton Rouge for Bama LSU that Saturday. We may be booking a drunk bus there and back if you wanted to join

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=