#83 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 January 2022 - 04:29 PM

Alright...so something like 7-13 final Big Ten record...15-16 overall.

Lol, see why it’s better to just accept it?
  • BSLZackKiesel likes this

#84 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 04:33 PM

Lol, see why it’s better to just accept it?

Nah, was more enjoyable going into today hoping for a run.

With this effort, sure...the highly unlikely now seems impossible.

I thought after the home Rutgers collapse they would just mail it in. That's how I feel today too.

Wouldn't make me want to hire him, but if Manning again gets this group to regroup that would be a real credit to him.

#85 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,275 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 January 2022 - 04:38 PM

Maryland loses, 68-55.

They’ll stay home and host Michigan State on Tuesday night. Will be their first game against a Top 15 team so far this season.
@BSLZackKiesel

#86 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 January 2022 - 04:40 PM

Nah, was more enjoyable going into today hoping for a run.

With this effort, sure...the highly unlikely now seems impossible.

I thought after the home Rutgers collapse they would just mail it in. That's how I feel today too.

Wouldn't make me want to hire him, but if Manning again gets this group to regroup that would be a real credit to him.

I get it, but that was delusion, not hope. Two games means they could’ve possibly gotten to 11 wins? I get wanting to have hope, but this team is who they are and we all know it, or should know it by now.

Don’t at all agree about Manning getting credit if they win another 2 or 3 games in a row at some point. There’s talent here. But it’s mostly individual efforts from here on out. Sometimes you get performances like the one’s from Scott, Ayala or Fatts have produced lately, but eventually it collapses because they’re still not running a competent offense with any kind of consistency. Having great shooting for a couple games doesn’t change that.

#87 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 05:02 PM

I get it, but that was delusion, not hope. Two games means they could’ve possibly gotten to 11 wins? I get wanting to have hope, but this team is who they are and we all know it, or should know it by now.

Don’t at all agree about Manning getting credit if they win another 2 or 3 games in a row at some point. There’s talent here. But it’s mostly individual efforts from here on out. Sometimes you get performances like the one’s from Scott, Ayala or Fatts have produced lately, but eventually it collapses because they’re still not running a competent offense with any kind of consistency. Having great shooting for a couple games doesn’t change that.

All I said before the game was if Fatts and Ayala went on a run... I could squint and see 11 wins as possible. Also said, might be more likely to lose today and fully collapse. 

Each game gives you further evidence. Maryland played horrible today and lost by 13... but it was a winnable game. 

The are ranges and degrees. As you pointed out before tip, ESPN's match-up predictor gave the Terps a 52% chance of winning. A coin-flip game.  Instead Indiana had a B performance, and MD gave their D- performance.  

Now Tuesday vs. Michigan State, @Ohio State, @Purdue, @Michigan State.... you probably have less than 35% chance in any of those games... 

But if you had won today...  I think MD would have been given 45% and above chances vs. Iowa, Nebraska, Penn State, @Indiana, Minnesota... maybe 40% vs. Ohio State at home...   

Wouldn't expect to win each of those games, but would expect to be in those games and have a chance.  

Obviously if you were doing the collective odds vs. individual games before today of going 8-3, you were probably looking at 15%? Something with low chances, but a punchers chance. 

Now you've lost today, and looked bad...  so those long odds become basically completely unfathomable. 

Re: Manning...  there is some talent here, but that's not the point to me.  He's walking a tight rope where the players know he isn't going to be the guy going forward.  Where Ayala and Fatts and Green (and Wright) know their eligibility is ending.  Where Reese, Scott, Hart, Wahab, Martinez are thinking, "Who is coming in? Am I staying or going?" Where Cornish, Dockery, Revaz can't sniff the court. How bought in are they? How bought in is anyone?  

When you win a couple of games, everyone pays a bit more attention in practice. If you can sell 'maybe there's a chance', everyone is probably a bit more interested / vested.  When everyone realizes you have 'no chance', the effort probably leaves.  Like if MD is in a game early, they might be interested.  But as soon as you punch them, you probably knock them out.  At this point, if everyone bails mentally, they could easily fully totally collapse.  If somehow he gets them to at-least show up and compete each night the rest of the way, that's a credit to him imo.   Again, it wouldn't make me want to hire him.

#88 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 January 2022 - 05:10 PM

Those long odds already were unfathomable. That’s what you’re not getting. No narrative or analysis is going to change that. Not trying to be an ass. I get it, I respect it. But just sharing my take on things, and nuance isn’t warranted right now. Nothing means anything anyway until they find the right guy to take over this program.

#89 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 05:31 PM

I'm rooting for the higher draft pick

• You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan, Mashed Potatoes and 2 others like this

#90 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 05:41 PM

Ayala can come back next year, right?  Last year didn't count against anyone's eligibility.

#91 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 06:00 PM

Ayala can come back next year, right?  Last year didn't count against anyone's eligibility.

Yeah, that's right.  I guess he does have additional eligibility.  After testing the NBA waters last Summer, I'd think he would want to go pro somewhere after this year, but guess the option is there.  That certainly would help if he decided to stay.

#92 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 06:04 PM

Those long odds already were unfathomable. That’s what you’re not getting. No narrative or analysis is going to change that. Not trying to be an ass. I get it, I respect it. But just sharing my take on things, and nuance isn’t warranted right now. Nothing means anything anyway until they find the right guy to take over this program.

Re: Those long odds already were unfathomable.  Maybe. Probably. 

Re: Nothing means anything anyway until they find the right guy to take over this program.   Totally agree there.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 06:45 PM

Yeah, that's right.  I guess he does have additional eligibility.  After testing the NBA waters last Summer, I'd think he would want to go pro somewhere after this year, but guess the option is there.  That certainly would help if he decided to stay.

Agree that I'm not expecting it, especially with a pending coaching change. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=