• Please log in to reply
422 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 07:18 PM

Balt Sun: Ravens QB Lamar Jackson absent from practice again ahead of regular-season finale against Steelers

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,145 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 07:19 PM

ESPN's Matchup Predictor gives the Ravens a 59.8% chance of winning.

#3 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 11:42 AM

Steelers having COVID problems.

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#4 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 01:26 PM

Now if we can get the Colts to have a big outbreak too... ;)

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 January 2022 - 02:06 PM

I think the Ravens win this game, and I think both teams head into the off season.  This game may come down to whether we are able to do a decent job of keeping Watt off of Huntley.

@mikeghg

#6 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 02:56 PM

Could be Jimmy Smith’s last game. He mentioned yesterday this is home, it doesn’t make sense to play for some random team. Thinking retirement, but if the Ravens make him an offer in the off-season he’s all ears.
@BSLMikeRandall

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 03:01 PM

Wonder what the lowest amount he would play for would be?  And what the highest amount the Ravens would pay him would be.

Minimum salary for him is $1.12M (would only count $895k against Ravens cap).  He played this year for $3.5M.

#8 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 04:03 PM

I know this gets mentioned a lot with aging CBs and rarely ever actually happens... But I'd be very intrigued by them bringing him back for another year to play some safety. I just want SOMEBODY back there with some coverage skills (and experience and instinct).

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 04:15 PM

A switch to safety was the plan heading into 2021, right?  Hasn't lasted due to injuries at CB forcing him back into that role.  I've got little doubt that he could be useful depth at both FS and CB.  Just a question of how much is that depth worth against the cap.  If it's the minimum then absolutely.  If it's $2.5M, I'm less sure.  We aren't gonna have a lot of room for luxuries such as expensive veteran depth.

#10 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 06 January 2022 - 04:28 PM

A switch to safety was the plan heading into 2021, right? Hasn't lasted due to injuries at CB forcing him back into that role. I've got little doubt that he could be useful depth at both FS and CB. Just a question of how much is that depth worth against the cap. If it's the minimum then absolutely. If it's $2.5M, I'm less sure. We aren't gonna have a lot of room for luxuries such as expensive veteran depth.

Add his injury history to the equation and it's even more iffy. Would really like to have him again, but....

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 06:59 PM

Add his injury history to the equation and it's even more iffy. Would really like to have him again, but....

I've always said that he's one of the better cover guys in the league when healthy. And he would probably make a solid safety in coverage using his natural ability. But the guy is chinaware and you'll never get more than a half of a season out of him. At this point, at his age, I just don't think its worth a roster spot.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 07:04 PM

2014 and 2019 are the only years he played in fewer than 10 games.  And he played in 8 and 9 games in those years.

He (almost) never plays a full season, but he also (almost) never misses more than a quarter of it.  Missing 4-5 games is a lot though, so certainly need to take that into account when deciding how much you'd be willing to spend to bring him back. 

#13 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 09:43 PM

I don't recall ever hearing the Ravens themselves say they were moving him to safety in any way. Doesn't mean they didn't, I just don't remember it!

#14 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 11:04 AM

Wonder what the lowest amount he would play for would be?  And what the highest amount the Ravens would pay him would be.

Minimum salary for him is $1.12M (would only count $895k against Ravens cap).  He played this year for $3.5M.

So if you figure in his time missed $1.75M worth.

#15 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 11:27 AM

So if you figure in his time missed $1.75M worth.

I would imagine his time missed was mostly baked into what they expected for the contract. He played 16 games in 2015, then since then it has been 11, 12, 12, 9, 11, and likely 10 this year. Things don't usually get better as you age so 11 games was probably pretty much the max. His 39% snap count was definitely low though, 59% last year was his lowest. Still likely within the reasonable range of expectations of the team though for an injury prone guy as he gets older. And that # could improve if he plays most of the game Sunday.

I'm not seeing where Mackus is getting $3.5M this year. OTC says $2.5M, with a $2.25 cap number (I guess b/c he signed an extension during last season so half the 500k bonus counted last year? dunno). I would take him back next year but would prefer more like $1.5M as you just can't expect too much. Not sure how badly he still wants to play so he could easily just retire.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 11:30 AM

If he wants to come back for 1.5- 2 mil Id take him.

Whats the deal with Young? Are we expecting a cut?

#17 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 11:39 AM

If he wants to come back for 1.5- 2 mil Id take him.

Whats the deal with Young? Are we expecting a cut?

His cap number next year is $9.1M with $5.8M saved if cut. I don't know enough to say how good he's been this year (PFF has him at only 59), but I can't imagine they want that big of a cap hit to him. So I'd say probably cut, or they do one of their "reduce your salary and we won't cut you" deals.

• Mackus likes this

#18 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 01:06 PM

Lamar officially ruled out to no one’s surprise.
@BSLMikeRandall

#19 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 03:19 PM

Lamar officially ruled out to no one’s surprise.

John doesn't want to talk about it.

#20 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 03:45 PM

John doesn't want to talk about it.

Doesn’t have to. He’s not practicing and the season is over. If this was week 5, I’m sure a timetable would be almost required by the league.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=