422 replies to this topic

#41 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 11:54 AM

I disagree, the dislike between the teams is passed down, the dislike between the fans is real too and will remain.

It’s definitely passed down. Jimmy Smith said this week you aren’t a Ravens until you make a big play in a Steelers game game. Guarantee that’s the mindset passed down to Queen, Bowser, Madibuike, Oweh, other young guys here.
@BSLMikeRandall

#42 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 January 2022 - 12:19 PM

I didn't realize the Colts haven't won in Jacksonville since 2014. #soyouresayintheresachance
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 12:21 PM

I'm with you.  Once Roethlisburger hangs up the cleats, it's the end of an era.  He is the last of the great players that made these two (sometimes three) meetings a year special.  It will still be a division game between two rivals, and it will still be hard fought, but it won't quite be the same.  Some fans will try to say it is, but the feel won't quite be there like it was.  They are even saying that on the pre-game show on WBAL.  Even they know it.  Perhaps sometime in the future these two teams will once again be the class of the AFC at the same time the way they were, but for now I think Pittsburgh is going to go into at least a couple of year rebuild mode.  And it looks Cincinnati is going to be the big AFC North problem as long as Joe Burrow is there.  

Roethlisberger has been a shell of himself for a few years now.  Nothing changes between this game and the first one next year.  If the rivalry is diminished because Ben retires, then it's already happened.  I don't think it diminishes one bit because of Roethlisberger.  He's had a great career, but he has been pretty bad for a while.  If you thought this year or last year's or two year's ago games meant something, then so will next year.  All the rivalry loses when Ben retires is nostalgia.  QB play for them probably improves next year compared to recent years, unless they don't try to address the position in any way.

#44 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 12:53 PM

Roethlisberger has been a shell of himself for a few years now.  Nothing changes between this game and the first one next year.  If the rivalry is diminished because Ben retires, then it's already happened.  I don't think it diminishes one bit because of Roethlisberger.  He's had a great career, but he has been pretty bad for a while.  If you thought this year or last year's or two year's ago games meant something, then so will next year.  All the rivalry loses when Ben retires is nostalgia.  QB play for them probably improves next year compared to recent years, unless they don't try to address the position in any way.

I agree the rivalry  has been diminishing a little bit every time one of the big guys on both teams retired. Ray, Reed, Ngata, Bart Scott, Ward......they all were part of it.  But there was still a little bit of the intense emotion as long as there was still one guy left.  The rivalry the last few years wasn't close to what it was around 2010, but fans in Baltimore still had Roethlisburger to hate.  

I'm not the only one saying it.  They were saying it early this morning on the WBAL pre-game show, they just had a great piece on ESPN that featured Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Bart Scott and Haloti Ngata.  And of course Rex Ryan is on ESPN so he had a lot to say about it.  Sure it's always going to be a rivalry, they are division rivals.  But players make rivalry's special and Ben Roethlisburger just represents the end of an era when both teams had a number of hall of famers and both were considered the cream of the AFC along with Indy and New England.  Both teams will have good players again, but it's hard to see both teams having as many great players at the same time the way they did in the late 2000's and early 2010's.  And players that represented the toughness of the two cities the way the Ravens and Steelers did.  At least not for a while anyway.  

It's only my opinion, and it's not an opinion shared by everybody, but I'm also not alone in that opinion.  

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:08 PM

3rd and 5 to Bateman for 18.

#46 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:09 PM

I sincerely hope Lamar is taking notes from Huntley on how to get the ball to Bateman.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:10 PM

Ball out...Pittsburgh recovers.

#48 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:11 PM

Huntley trying to do too much.

Stay on the ground.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#49 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:11 PM

There is no chance any team has more botched snaps than us over the last three years

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#50 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:13 PM

I sincerely hope Lamar is taking notes from Huntley on how to get the ball to Bateman.

Huntleys quick passing success is a credit to the ability of receiving corp to win quickly at the LOS. Something weve seemingly never had from a corp

#51 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:13 PM

There is no chance any team has more botched snaps than us over the last three years

Bozeman showing he's worth $10 million per season. lol

#52 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:14 PM

Huntley trying to do too much.

Stay on the ground.

But according to the announcers, Watt made a spectacular play. You're right, they were wrong

#53 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:14 PM

How much of that is playcall/design though?

#54 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:15 PM

Jimmy Smith looks real old there

#55 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:16 PM

Jimmy Smith looks real old there

He's old by CB standards. And Diante Johnson is one of the quickest WR's in the NFL. Not a good combo.

#56 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:23 PM

How much of that is playcall/design though?

I think Lamar's Achilles heel is his tendency to look Andrews- Hollywood or Hollywood-Andrews at a high rate. It certainly could be play design or calling; or it could be Bateman getting more comfortable in the NFL. Either way, 12 is a star waiting to happen.
@primetime667083

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:26 PM

That's a pick. Terrible throw.

#58 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:27 PM

Huntley looks awful so far.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#59 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Will that stand?

#60 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Not sure what right call is, but betting it stands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=