Photo

Balt Ravens.com: Mailbag: What's the Biggest Offseason Priority?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 09:05 AM

Balt Ravens.com: Mailbag: What's the Biggest Offseason Priority?

https://www.baltimor...season-priority

#2 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 09:49 AM

Imo, offensive line.  The defense would have been ok without all the injuries.  They still need to get more pressure on the QB and maybe some upcoming losses are going to require retooling the run defense, but those problems are minor compared to the Oline.  

I said before this season that I didn't buy that this line was going to be all that good.  And that was before Stanley went out.  I don't think you can count on him.  I think the Oline is close to needing a complete overhaul.  

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 09:51 AM

You have to count on Stanley.  He's too expensive to replace.  If he goes down again next year, then you'll need a backup to play.  I don't think there is enough cap space to bring in another quality LT while also trying to patch some of the other holes (primarily pass rush, center, and safety).

#4 MirzetSalihovic

MirzetSalihovic

All-Star

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 09:57 AM

It’s a toss up between O line and defense. But I’ll say defense, ravens are last in passing yards allowed per play and we have given up the most yards passing and tied for most yards per attempt. And I know some of it is due to injuries but they were bad before the injuries as well. We n

#5 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 09:59 AM

If he comes back, yes the contract dictates you have to go with Stanley whether he returns to his former level or not.  But I'm not even 100% sure he will be ready or even be back at all.  There were rumors that his damage to that one ankle was so severe that doctors talked about him considering retirement.  If I were told that playing again risked damage that could permanently affect my ability to walk on it the rest of my life, I sure would have to think that over.  

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:04 AM

It'd be WAY more expensive against the cap if he retires than if he plays.  All his salary is guaranteed, plus some of 2023, and you'd have to accelerate all the remaining bonus.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:16 AM

You have to count on Stanley.  He's too expensive to replace.  If he goes down again next year, then you'll need a backup to play.  I don't think there is enough cap space to bring in another quality LT while also trying to patch some of the other holes (primarily pass rush, center, and safety).

Certainly hard to count on him after 7 games in 2 years. Have to operate knowing you have to pay for him, for sure.   

But I'm definitely targeting a tackle with the 1st pick, that could slot in on the leftside if Stanley is not available.

If Stanley is 'back', then the weakness could become a strength.

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:19 AM

I'd be ok with a tackle but not the top priority for me.  Stanley and Mekari and James is a good enough top-3 that should be able to get the job done and there is a lot of resources invested to accomplish it (esp since Mekari will get a big increase on his RFA tender).  

If I know that Stanley can't return that increases the need to find a tackle, but I'd put pass rusher, secondary, and interior OL as higher priorities under the assumption that Stanley will be back.  

#9 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:31 AM

I don't know the particulars of Stanley's cap numbers.  I was just saying depending on how the ankle heals from his latest surgery, and what doctors tell him about the risks, there is at least a chance he would decide to retire rather than risk anymore permanent damage to the ankle.  

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:37 AM

If he retires he counts about $41M against next year's cap.  That's his entire 2022 salary, about half of his 2023 salary, and the remaining prorated bonuses from 22-25.  

They may be able to spread about half of that onto the 2023 cap depending on the timing.

Any retirement would obviously be due to injury, so the Ravens wouldn't have good standing to try and recoup any of the bonus he got or the remaining guaranteed salary.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 11:05 AM

I'd be ok with a tackle but not the top priority for me.  Stanley and Mekari and James is a good enough top-3 that should be able to get the job done and there is a lot of resources invested to accomplish it (esp since Mekari will get a big increase on his RFA tender).  

If I know that Stanley can't return that increases the need to find a tackle, but I'd put pass rusher, secondary, and interior OL as higher priorities under the assumption that Stanley will be back.  

Stanley has 7 games played in 2 years.  James has 3 games played in 3 years.  

You can't go into the year relying on Stanley to hold up at LT, or count on James for anything imo.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 11:11 AM

Stanley has 7 games played in 2 years.  James has 3 games played in 3 years.  

You can't go into the year relying on Stanley to hold up at LT, or count on James for anything imo.

Yeah, it'd be great if you could do that and everything else.  But it's a question of prioritization.  There is only so much cap space available.  Only one high draft pick.  If you use a lot of those resources to add another LT, that means you haven't fixed something else.  

The team will have a stronger idea on the medical reports for each guy, but I'll roll the dice on Stanley, James, Mekari and then use what resources are available to address pass rusher, safety, interior line, and other spots.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 11:15 AM

Yeah, it'd be great if you could do that and everything else.  But it's a question of prioritization.  There is only so much cap space available.  Only one high draft pick.  If you use a lot of those resources to add another LT, that means you haven't fixed something else.  

The team will have a stronger idea on the medical reports for each guy, but I'll roll the dice on Stanley, James, Mekari and then use what resources are available to address pass rusher, safety, interior line, and other spots.

The money is spent (Or will be.) You have to operate knowing Stanley is going to be paid what he is owed. 

But you also know you are going to take and pay for a 1st round pick.   

Yada yada about taking the best player, not forcing the selection, etc etc... but if there is a 1st round graded Tackle they like that can play either side where they pick...  I sure hope that is the selection.   

They absolutely can't go into next year being comfortable with relying on Stanley, Mekari, and James as their tackles. At-least imo, I think that would be a horrible plan.

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 11:21 AM

You can do that, but then you haven't address some other position.  There is going to be a leak in the dike somewhere.  I think that Stanley/James/Mekari is closer to a solution at the tackles than Clark/Stephens are at safety or ???? at OLB opposite Oweh or Powers/??? at LG/C.

Tackle depth is a need due to the injury concerns, but it's not more dire than multiple other needs.  There aren't enough resources available to fix everything.  If we can only pick one or two external solutions (including the 1st round pick), I'd prioritize safety and pass rusher and interior O-line over tackle.

Completely disagree that it's a horrible plan to be relying on that trio.  It's a necessary evil given the cap constraints and the number of positions that need to be addressed.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 11:32 AM

You can do that, but then you haven't address some other position.  There is going to be a leak in the dike somewhere.  I think that Stanley/James/Mekari is closer to a solution at the tackles than Clark/Stephens are at safety or ???? at OLB opposite Oweh or Powers/??? at LG/C.

Tackle depth is a need due to the injury concerns, but it's not more dire than multiple other needs.  There aren't enough resources available to fix everything.  If we can only pick one or two external solutions (including the 1st round pick), I'd prioritize safety and pass rusher and interior O-line over tackle.

Completely disagree that it's a horrible plan to be relying on that trio.  It's a necessary evil given the cap constraints and the number of positions that need to be addressed.

Right, it's a cap league, there are always going to be limits to what you can do with positions.  

(Exacerbated later if you are paying top dollar for a QB. And probably why I'd rather have a team with generic middle of the road QB like Cousins and a deeper roster vs. MVP QB and a thinner roster, but whatever.) 

I'd build teams from the lines out.  

I would have no comfortability going to camp with Stanley and Mekari as my starters and James as the de facto Tackle backup. Could workout fine.  But given the time Stanley and James have missed, I need to see it.  And I kind of like Mekari, but for the most part he's a JAG.  JAG and two tackles that have played a combined 10 games in 3 years won't make me comfortable if that's all they have going into camp.  

The Secondary figures to be deep on the corners, and not ideal at S.  I can live with that.

You've got room probably for 1 decent FA contract.  So maybe it's a S.  Maybe it's an EDGE.    

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 11:50 AM

I don't think it matters at all how many games these guys played in 2021 or 2020.  That's not relevant other than how it influences your expectations for them moving forward.  How many games do I expect them to play in 2022?  I'd rely on medical reports and information from my training staff about their likely availability over past box scores.

I agree we have room for 1 sizable FA contract.  I'd rather address a position with no reasonable in-house solutions like safety or pass rush than add a 4th option at tackle with that one sizable contract.

If I knew that James and/or Stanley were unlikely to contribute next year, that would change how big of a need tackle is.  Right now we don't know that, but the team sure should have a good enough idea that they don't need to make a big assumption either way.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 11:57 AM

I don't think it matters at all how many games these guys played in 2021 or 2020.  That's not relevant other than how it influences your expectations for them moving forward.  How many games do I expect them to play in 2022?  I'd rely on medical reports and information from my training staff about their likely availability over past box scores.

I agree we have room for 1 sizable FA contract.  I'd rather address a position with no reasonable in-house solutions like safety or pass rush than add a 4th option at tackle with that one sizable contract.

If I knew that James and/or Stanley were unlikely to contribute next year, that would change how big of a need tackle is.  Right now we don't know that, but the team sure should have a good enough idea that they don't need to make a big assumption either way.

I mean if the docs tell me James is medically cleared and ready to go.... that's nice, but he played 3 games in '19 and missed all of '20 and '21.  How could anyone know what you have there? 

The docs cleared Stanley for his play this year.... he wasn't ready.   If they clear him again, and he's ready for September... great.  But he's going to remain a question for me until he shows he can A) Stay in the lineup, and B) We see where he's at production wise.

So I get the disconnect here, and we will see how things play out.

#18 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 12:50 PM

It's hard to pick without knowing what to expect from the rash of injured players. There are so many holes to fill. I think you can almost go BPA as long as they aren't an offensive skill position and wind up doing okay.

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 01:02 PM

It’s a toss up between O line and defense. But I’ll say defense, ravens are last in passing yards allowed per play and we have given up the most yards passing and tied for most yards per attempt. And I know some of it is due to injuries but they were bad before the injuries as well. We n

I think its defense 1st

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 01:11 PM

Also with Mack here. Have to depend on Stanley assuming there isnt info we dont know about that would make me believe hes severly compromised and will never be close to the same. James or Mekari can play RT. If James can go then Mekari can move inside.Its not even that we need to rely on James IMO. Hes an added bonus if hes a go. We will draft a guy or two and put them in the mix. Weve done alright developing OL talent. LT is the only OL position Id look to draft early and again thats only if I know Stanley is essentially done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=