61 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 08:11 AM

They've got so many needs that they could use it anywhere.  Even after the expected cuts, I don't think they have space for even a single Zeitler-like signing.  If they do, that would be the biggest splash I expect.  Beyond that they'll spread stuff as much as possible to cover as many of the gaps.

Bozeman is gone.  Averett is gone.  Elliot likely gone, he may be cheap enough to retain but I think they want a different answer at safety.  I think they try to resign Ricard, but they may decide they don't have the space to blow $3-4M on a luxury item at FB.  Houston probably gone.

I think they look for cheap deals with Campbell, Smith, and Bynes.  I think Williams they probably let walk unless he comes really cheaply. 

No idea on what FAs they'd pursue.  But they need help at ever level of the defense and on the interior offensive line.  Plus tackle if you're not willing to rely on Stanley returning.

In order of likelihood I think they cut Villanueva, Boykin, Young, Koch, and Ferguson.  That would save a little over $17M (minus the ~$5M to fill out the roster afterwards).  Restructure of Humphrey seems like a lock and that could create about $7M.  Restructure of Stanley also feels likely, and that's about $6M.  So those moves would generate close to $30M in space which could go a long ways towards fillings gaps.

#22 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 09:09 AM

Why is it we are always so tight against the cap?  Hell, the Steelers have a boatload of cash in 2022 (really hope they don't get Rogers) and their front office operates very much like ours, so why does it seem we are always cash strapped?  

• SouthRider likes this

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 09:25 AM

Typically the good players that are on the roster of a good team make lots of money.  

Spending up to the cap every year is a good thing, IMO.  Just gotta watch out for signing on for too much future money as you're doing that.  Occasionally there will be mistakes, mismanagement, or uncontrollable outcomes (Stanley, Thomas, Rice) that lead to cap troubles.  Ravens have suffered from each of those to varying degrees.

• Hooded Viper likes this

#24 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:24 PM

Why is it we are always so tight against the cap? Hell, the Steelers have a boatload of cash in 2022 (really hope they don't get Rogers) and their front office operates very much like ours, so why does it seem we are always cash strapped?

Steelers kept redoing Bens deal and this year, I think, used the dreaded void years.

The podcasts Brian did this week were excellent. I feel like I know what’s going on now.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

@fuzydunlop

#25 BSLMikeFast

BSLMikeFast

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 12:18 PM

J.C. Jackson (former Terp) would be a great fit IMO. He will cost a lot, and letting go of Peters and Smith would clear $12.5M (if I’m not mistaken), so it’ll take a lot to get him, and would also free up a draft pick for another key position. Tough call either way.
@MikeFastNFL

#26 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 12:25 PM

Letting Peters go in the process of shoring up the secondary strikes me as a self-defeating move. I dunno, I just can't stomach the various scenarios where cutting Peters somehow has higher upside for '22 than keeping him...
  • Mackus likes this

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 12:40 PM

J.C. Jackson (former Terp) would be a great fit IMO. He will cost a lot, and letting go of Peters and Smith would clear $12.5M (if I’m not mistaken), so it’ll take a lot to get him, and would also free up a draft pick for another key position. Tough call either way.

Cutting Peters saves $10M.  Jimmy Smith is a free agent, so no cap implications.

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 12:42 PM

Letting Peters go in the process of shoring up the secondary strikes me as a self-defeating move. I dunno, I just can't stomach the various scenarios where cutting Peters somehow has higher upside for '22 than keeping him...

The only one I see is if they are extremely pessimistic about his recovery from his ACL injury.  But outside of that, I'm with you, $10M for Peters is a bargain.  

You could structure a FA deal so that the Year 1 hit is a good bit less than $10M.  Even for someone who is going to blow well past $10M APY like JC Jackson will.  But then your cap crunch comes later.

• BSLChrisStoner and makoman like this

#29 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 12:43 PM

Yeah I feel like if you cut Peters and replace him with anyone nearly as good you're going to be paying more than $10M anyways so the savings won't be that great. I suppose you can spread it over more years to get year 1 down

• PrimeTime likes this

#30 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:52 PM

The only argument that would make sense would be that Peters will be 29, coming off of an ACL tear. While Jackson is like 25 or 26. He also plays in a damn near identical system in NE, so you know he'd translate well to Wink's system.
  • BSLMikeFast likes this

#31 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:28 AM

Stanley and James are definitely enticing high upside possibilities. But I just can't have much confidence in them being healthy and more important consistently healthy. Not "back for three games and then on I.R." healthy.

The more I think about it, considering how much Lamar's game was elevated when he had two solid OTs... I'm sorta fine with them entering camp with a handful of high upside tackles to maximize their chances of getting to week one with 3 on the roster that you have hope in. Rather have one disgruntled that he's not playing despite his ability, than one (or two) playing despite his ability. ;)

As much as I'd KILL for a quality cover safety with some ball skills, hopeful Wink learned a little from his later season results where they didn't seem to be sending DBs and safeties after the QB as much, but stayed back more and played coverage. Wasn't fantastic, but they didn't get burned over the top as often it seemed.

#32 BSLMikeFast

BSLMikeFast

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 12:01 PM

Loved this. Really enjoyed getting a good breakout down. We should in my opinion, cut all the potential cap savings players. Though Villanueva has helped he’s been mostly a liability and saving 6 million is a no brainer. Then attack the draft for a tackle. 24 million to play with is a solid number and I’m hopeful for JC Jackson as well

Thanks so much! Also have to wonder how Juwan James plays into things going forward. You make some good points. It'll almost be like having two drafts classes as so many studs will be returning from injury.

@MikeFastNFL

#33 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 21 January 2022 - 05:19 PM

Given our circumstances in the secondary, I'd be much more inclined to look for a free safety as opposed to a cornerback. Marcus Williams from the Saints is an intriguing option if it he does shake loose. He's played 76 games in his first 5 seasons and has 15 career INTs. Plus, he's only 25 years old.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#34 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 07:17 PM

Given our circumstances in the secondary, I'd be much more inclined to look for a free safety as opposed to a cornerback. Marcus Williams from the Saints is an intriguing option if it he does shake loose. He's played 76 games in his first 5 seasons and has 15 career INTs. Plus, he's only 25 years old.

I'd prefer Bates if he hits the market, or Mathieu.

And I'd much prefer a premier CB like Jackson over a safety. Great CB play has a much greater impact than great safety play.

#35 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 21 January 2022 - 08:23 PM

And I'd much prefer a premier CB like Jackson over a safety. Great CB play has a much greater impact than great safety play.

Assuming health and no cuts, I can't imagine we'd invest another 10-15 mill per in the CB spot. Don't get me wrong, you can never have enough corners but unless Peters or Young are released, I don't see Jackson as a fit.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#36 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 08:30 PM

I think they are just going to have to give Stephens the full time job next to Clark

#37 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 21 January 2022 - 09:09 PM

I think they are just going to have to give Stephens the full time job next to Clark

This may end up being the case. As nice as it would be to bring in a ball hawking safety, we have more pressing needs on offensive and defensive lines.
@primetime667083

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 January 2022 - 10:32 PM

Bates is a stud, and a big hitter too. He’d be great here.

#39 BSLMikeFast

BSLMikeFast

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 08:44 AM

Has the Harbaugh presser, the appointment of Mike Macdonald and the beginning of Senior Bowl week changed any of your opinions on who the Ravens should cut or keep?

In my opinion, it affirmed the team wants to keep Marcus Peters, keep a couple key veterans (but may not sign them immediately after FA starts), and look to fortify their squad through the draft. Shocker...

@MikeFastNFL

#40 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 08:46 AM

Im sure I will listen at some point but was anyone interested by anything Harbaugh said at the presser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=