• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 09:09 AM

For the foreseeable future, the upside of Maryland football seems to be about what they did in 2021; 4th-5th in the Big Ten East, 6-6 overall and win a crappy bowl to claim a winning record and momentum going into the next year, where Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and now Michigan State again wait to slap them around. Hard to get excited about that. Very hard.

IMO it's about taking incremental steps, positioning you to take a larger leap later.

- Step 0 is improving the facilities. (Check.)
- Step 1 is stacking classes.... which MD is starting to do.

- Step 2 is getting into the bowl cycle. Increased practices, and a necessary step.

- Step 3 is not being run off the field in games against the best, winning all the games you should, and winning some of the toss-up games. Springing the occasional upset.
- Step 4 is defending your homefield. 

- Step 5 is jumping into the back of the Top 25.

There are more steps beyond that, but to me this is what the next 2-4 years is. 

'22 is incredibly important. 

You've got a quality experienced QB returning from a  bowl winning team.
You've got strong offensive weapons, and an experienced oline. 

You've got to maximize that. 

I didn't include, but maybe Step 1.5... continue to improve the tailgating and game day experience. A better fan experience is better for the players, and better for recruiting. 

I also didn't include further investment into the coaching staff. Seems like a pretty solid Asst staff right now. If you believe in them, give them what they need to stick around a couple of years. If you believe you can improve on them, spend the money to do so.

• JimJohnson likes this

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 09:17 AM

It’s just a tough schedule. No more FCS cupcakes. I see five losses minimum. So if they win the rest, that’s 7.

But I think they go 2-1 OOC, plus 2 or 3 conference wins.

Expected Wins (over 80% chance of winning): Buffalo, @Charlotte

Expected Losses (over 80% chance of losing): @Michigan, @Wisconsin, Ohio State
Likely Wins (60 to 79% chance of winning): SMU, Rutgers
Likely Losses (60 to 79% chance of losing): @Penn State
Coin Flip (45 to 59% either way): Michigan State, Purdue, @Indiana, Northwestern

#23 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 February 2022 - 09:55 AM

For the foreseeable future, the upside of Maryland football seems to be about what they did in 2021; 4th-5th in the Big Ten East, 6-6 overall and win a crappy bowl to claim a winning record and momentum going into the next year, where Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and now Michigan State again wait to slap them around. Hard to get excited about that. Very hard.

They showed progress in last year’s games against Michigan State and Penn State. Neither were what I would call a blowout, they were relatively competitive into the fourth quarter. And they beat Penn State rather handily on the road in 2020.

Ohio State’s talent level is such that they’re going to blow out 95% of the teams on their schedule every year. Occasionally competing with them should be considered successful. The other blue blood programs you mentioned should probably always be competitive, and they’ve taken steps to get there. Improving the defense is the biggest key, and that’ll likely define how successful they are in 2022.
@BSLZackKiesel

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 February 2022 - 11:44 AM

I also didn't include further investment into the coaching staff. Seems like a pretty solid Asst staff right now. If you believe in them, give them what they need to stick around a couple of years. If you believe you can improve on them, spend the money to do so.

This goes to what I was saying in the MBB head coach thread. MD is going to be getting a ton more money in the coming years from the B1G’s next TV contract. It’s time for the administration to start putting that money where their mouth is and start paying for coaching staffs that are at least somewhere in the middle range of their conference peers, instead of near the bottom.

• JimJohnson likes this

#25 BSLPatDonohue

BSLPatDonohue

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 February 2022 - 12:04 PM

I think they struggle to get a bowl

Buff, Char, NW, Rutgers. Can’t lose one of those winnable games. Then need two of SMU, Purdue, Indiana.

7 wins and competitive in each of those last three 3 weeks would be a giant step.

I agree with this assessment. I don't see how it can be spun any other way. If we stay healthy, I think we'll get to 6. Never going to be easy with this team in this conference though.

#26 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 May 2022 - 01:51 PM

A few game times and TV broadcast information have been announced:

9/3 vs. Buffalo - Noon (BTN)
9/10 at Charlotte - 3:30 PM (Stadium)
9/17 vs. SMU - 7:30 PM (FS1)
9/24 at Michigan - Noon (FOX or FS1)
10/22 vs. Northwestern - 3:30 PM (TBD)

The game against Northwestern will be Maryland’s homecoming game.
@BSLZackKiesel

#27 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 May 2022 - 02:49 PM

Homecoming being a 3:30 kickoff is nice, it's hard to get excited for a tailgate for a noon kickoff

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

she/her

#28 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 August 2022 - 06:40 AM

Looking at the schedule again, is it weird I'm glad their first game against a major opponent is on the road? A 3-0 start to OOC play and then building up hype to host Michigan before losing 28 points would be depressing but if it happens at the Big House? Easier to shrug off as just a loss at one of CFB's toughest places to play. 

she/her

#29 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 September 2022 - 12:29 PM

Maryland’s game against Michigan on September 24 has been selected as FOX’s Big Noon Kickoff game.
@BSLZackKiesel

#30 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 September 2022 - 12:10 PM

Maryland’s game against Michigan State on October 1 will kickoff at 3:30 PM and be broadcast on FS1.
@BSLZackKiesel

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 September 2022 - 01:13 PM

Maryland’s game against Michigan State on October 1 will kickoff at 3:30 PM and be broadcast on FS1.

I hope they don't assign the two clowns that did Saturday's game.

@mikeghg

#32 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 September 2022 - 01:15 PM

Three national TV games in a row, is good.  Clean up the penalties and be competitive against Michigan and MSU.  Saturday will be tough.  Harbaugh is in his run it up mode to build his ranking.

@mikeghg

#33 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 September 2022 - 12:14 PM

Maryland’s game against Purdue on October 8 will kickoff at Noon and be broadcast on BTN.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#34 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 October 2022 - 12:13 PM

Maryland’s game against Indiana on October 15 will kickoff at 3:30 PM and be broadcast on ESPN2.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 03:02 PM

Maryland’s game against Indiana on October 15 will kickoff at 3:30 PM and be broadcast on ESPN2.

Meanwhile, Michigan will be making its fourth straight appearance on FOX's Big Noon Kickoff (hosting Penn State). Someone should remind them that they installed lights at the Big House back in 2011.

#36 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 October 2022 - 05:37 PM

Meanwhile, Michigan will be making its fourth straight appearance on FOX's Big Noon Kickoff (hosting Penn State). Someone should remind them that they installed lights at the Big House back in 2011.

If there’s one thing the Big Ten loves, it’s marquee matchups at Noon.
@BSLZackKiesel

#37 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 October 2022 - 05:48 PM

Michigan has always been a noon school. Michigan Ohio State is always played at noon.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 05:48 PM

If there’s one thing the Big Ten loves, it’s marquee matchups at Noon.

Fox loves it too. Those games get good ratings (though it might be the teams more than the time slot). Still, they aren't going head-to-head with the big SEC game at 3:30 or the ABC game at 7:30, so makes sense to try and claim that window for your prime matchup.

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 05:50 PM

Michigan has always been a noon school. Michigan Ohio State is always played at noon.

There was one year they kicked off at 3:30, back in 2006 when it was a #1 vs #2 matchup. Officials from both schools pretty much decided afterward that giving their fanbases the extra time to get lathered up at the tailgates for such a big game wasn't worth it.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#40 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 October 2022 - 05:59 PM

There was one year they kicked off at 3:30, back in 2006 when it was a #1 vs #2 matchup. Officials from both schools pretty much decided afterward that giving their fanbases the extra time to get lathered up at the tailgates for such a big game wasn't worth it.

I watched that game at JP Bullfeather’s in Buffalo.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=