• DuffMan likes this

#42 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 01:03 PM

Wow, tremendous deal for Pittsburgh. Reynolds is three years (incl rest of 2023) from FA, but not a ton of injury risk for a position player. Nimmo just got 8/$160M. Making some rough arb estimates, looks like Reynolds signed away 5 FA years for $75M or less. Obviously the player has to give a discount in order to get the guarantees sooner, but that's a pretty steep discount.

Everybody has different priorities, but we should absolutely be finding out which of our young guys values security.

An amazing deal for Pitt.

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 01:56 PM

I think Reynolds is a better player than Mullins, but same age and contract status.  I'd have no issues locking Mullins into a 7/$100M extension like this.  If you can do it for less because he's not quite the same level, all the better.

• BobPhelan likes this

#44 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 02:27 PM

Will say that I thought Reynolds was a year or two younger. Doesnt make it quite as amazing for Pittsburg but still very good.

#45 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 04:14 PM

"Look at the Oakland A's. Now that's a team we want to emulate."

-Also John Angelos

Emulate in the payroll sense, and desire to move to a new city.
@BSLMikeRandall

#46 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 04:32 PM

I think Reynolds is a better player than Mullins, but same age and contract status.  I'd have no issues locking Mullins into a 7/$100M extension like this.  If you can do it for less because he's not quite the same level, all the better.

If I'm Mullins, before I listen to the O's buyout offers, they first must extend Adley. 

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 04:51 PM

If I'm Mullins, before I listen to the O's buyout offers, they first must extend Adley. 

I've never heard of a baseball player doing something like that.  I'd be pretty surprised if Mullins refused a big enough contract because other guys hadn't been taken care of first.  Also, what if Rutschman just doesn't want to extend?

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#48 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 07:26 PM

Mullins isn't as good as Reynolds.

#49 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 08:06 PM

Mullins isn't as good as Reynolds.

I don't think so either, but he's close. Not as good of
a bat but better defense.

5.9 and 3.8 bWAR the past two seasons for Mullins. 5.9 and 2.9 for Reynolds. Fangraphs pretty similar, 5.9 and 3.5 for Mullins, 6.2 and 2.8 for Reynolds.

Also, it doesn't matter. You can't trade Mullins for Reynolds. The only important question is if Mullins is worth extending and how much it would take. Paying Mullins that same 7/$100M extension would still be a bargain and a very easy decision, IMO.
  • fishteacher likes this

#50 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 19 May 2023 - 03:25 PM

https://eutawstreetr...hman-extension/

Some interesting ideas in this article for and against his extension from his and the team's point of view. I'm in the "extend him now" camp and accept that he might be only a (very good) DH late in that contract.

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,575 posts

Posted 19 May 2023 - 03:33 PM

If an extension can be done now, I wouldn't be upset. 

If an extension doesnt happen now, I just let the next few years play out and not worry about it. 

Won't bother me at all if the O's trade him with a year or two left in his team control. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#52 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,012 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 May 2023 - 08:30 PM

I am fine either way but an extension, for me, has to be built around the idea that he's a solid hitting catcher. His value is way less if he's not behind the plate so any contract would have to be based around how long he can catch and continue to hit. If he's a DH or 1B then his value drops a fair bit. Still good but not near what he's worth when he's catching.

• mdrunning likes this

#53 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 19 May 2023 - 11:11 PM

I am fine either way but an extension, for me, has to be built around the idea that he's a solid hitting catcher. His value is way less if he's not behind the plate so any contract would have to be based around how long he can catch and continue to hit. If he's a DH or 1B then his value drops a fair bit. Still good but not near what he's worth when he's catching.

Like Joe Mauer.

#54 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,803 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 20 May 2023 - 08:06 AM

I'm willing to give him a 10 year, $300 million deal right now.  He can/will be able to transition to 1B in the future when his knees start to fail him a bit.  Till then, you use him 4 out of 6 games a week behind the plate, have a guy like McCann, who is very good behind him, and you enjoy the ride!

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#55 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,012 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 May 2023 - 08:19 AM

I'm willing to give him a 10 year, $300 million deal right now.  He can/will be able to transition to 1B in the future when his knees start to fail him a bit.  Till then, you use him 4 out of 6 games a week behind the plate, have a guy like McCann, who is very good behind him, and you enjoy the ride!

Too much $$$ for me. I love Ruts. But I don't see him as a $30M/year guy.

#56 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 02:22 PM

Too much $$$ for me. I love Ruts. But I don't see him as a $30M/year guy.

Who would be worth $30m a year?

#57 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 02:29 PM

Adam Frazier.
  • BSLSteveBirrer, weird-O, bmore_ken and 1 other like this

#58 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 04:14 PM

Adam Frazier.

You jest, but the moment he figures out how to consistently hit from the LH side of the plate, he'll be worth 40 million.

#59 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,012 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 May 2023 - 04:49 PM

Well beyond the simple no athlete is worth $30M/year how long a list would you like? Off the top of my head here are guys clearly ahead of Ruts IMO.

Ohtani

Trout

Judge

Acuna Jr.

McClanahan

Cole

Devers

#60 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 05:30 PM

Well beyond the simple no athlete is worth $30M/year how long a list would you like? Off the top of my head here are guys clearly ahead of Ruts IMO.

Ohtani

Trout

Judge

Acuna Jr.

McClanahan

Cole

Devers

I'd be comfortable replacing Rutschman with Sean Murphy. That's it.

And not that it matters, but the Yankees will regret handing Judge that contract last year instead of six years ago after he hit 52 home runs in 2017. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=