• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#81 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:03 PM

There's zero upside to losing to George Mason this early in the season, regardless of how they finished, when we played them they were ranked terribly across the board. This is a terrible loss and will remain one. If you're going to schedule zero upside opponents, they need to be teams you're going to beat. Or, you try to win, instead of treat it like an ehibition.

I can't bang on Turgeon for his scheduling year after year, and then be mad when he plays a team capable of biting you vs. scheduling Navy or Morgan State and getting the 35 point win that means nothing. 

#82 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:04 PM

A10 team or not..... you should beat George Mason at home if you're Maryland 99.999% of the time.

Pretty much. 

#83 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:04 PM

Outcoached by a guy who’s been a head coach for all of 4 games now. Typical Turgeon.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#84 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:05 PM

I can't bang on Turgeon for his scheduling year after year, and then be mad when he plays a team capable of biting you vs. scheduling Navy or Morgan State and getting the 35 point win that means nothing. 

My point is, if you play a team capable of beating you fine, pick one ranked accordingly so you at least get credit for the win. This is a BS excuse IMO, but agree to disagree I guess.

#85 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,890 posts

Not a lot of confidence in Turgeon to coach these guys together.  Hope he can have one of his rare good coaching jobs, though we had one last year so usually that means a few frustrating disappointments will follow.

#86 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Outcoached by a guy who’s been a head coach for all of 4 games now. Typical Turgeon.

Very much so. This is what has me pissed off. This dude is a great coach. You could see it almost every possession on both sides of the ball.

#87 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:06 PM

Martinez and Green need to start hitting some shots. 

Fatts has to get to the line and knock down shots.  He doesn't shoot well enough from outside. Also not seeing him finish at the basket like Melo and Cowan.  Did have 6 assists tonight though. 

Scott had 18 and 10.  Big game. 

Wahab only had 4 FGAs... teams are going to double him. He needs more touches imo regardless.

#88 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:07 PM

Not a lot of confidence in Turgeon to coach these guys together. Hope he can have one of his rare good coaching jobs, though we had one last year so usually that means a few frustrating disappointments will follow.

Good coaching job last year is a second round exit and again not getting deep in the B1G tourney?

Geez. Does Turgeon have incriminating evidence on 3/4 of the fan base?

He’s done NOTHING to earn his newest deal. Should have been gone years ago

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:07 PM

Hart had 9 vs. George Washington... but 2 vs. Quinnipac, 1 vs. GW, and 2 tonight... need more there too.

#90 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:08 PM

Reese had 12 points, and 3 boards and a block.... love his energy, and he attacks.  

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#91 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,890 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:09 PM

Good coaching job last year is a second round exit and again not getting deep in the B1G tourney?

Geez. Does Turgeon have incriminating evidence on 3/4 of the fan base?

He’s done NOTHING to earn his newest deal. Should have been gone years ago

It was a good job of coaching the guys he had.  Team was better than it should have been based on the roster. 

It was a bad job of roster-building.

#92 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:10 PM

It was a good job of coaching the guys he had. Team was better than it should have been based on the roster.

It was a bad job of roster-building.

I’ve said it before, his teams typically overperform when expectations are low and underperform when expectations are high. Makes for a nice mediocre middle ground result most of the time.
@BSLZackKiesel

#93 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:11 PM

Reese is a stud.

#94 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:50 PM

Missed the game but I had a hunch they were going to drop this one. Mainly because they weren't winning in the fashion they probably SHOULD have some previous games too.

Didn't see a second of it, but my lack of confidence in Turgeon's in-game prowess is only slightly less than my lack of confidence in Locksley to ever field / scheme up a credible defense.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#95 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,754 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:55 PM

Missed the game but I had a hunch they were going to drop this one. Mainly because they weren't winning in the fashion they probably SHOULD have some previous games too.

Didn't see a second of it, but my lack of confidence in Turgeon's in-game prowess is only slightly less than my lack of confidence in Locksley to ever field / scheme up a credible defense.

Maryland's been blessed with coaching greatness since the retirement of GW and the ousting of the Fridge.

#96 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 07:24 AM

Had a feeling this would be a tough one.

My poor son though.  Every year he's hopeful that maybe this year MD football and basketball will do something.  We heard the result of the game on the radio on the way home last night and for the first time he just seemed kind of resigned.  I've given him plenty of warning regarding Turgeon though.

Between them and the Orioles I'm questioning what my sports allegiances have done to his psyche lol.

#97 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:37 AM

Serious question. When you have the more pure talented/athletic team in 9.5 out of 10 games you play in a given season, wouldn’t it make more sense to push the tempo and get as many shots/possessions as possible?

Like when an inferior team plays MD, aren’t they thrilled that they play so slow?

Example - if MD played Duke, wouldnt they be happy if Duke played a slow weaving half court offense?

Someone that knows more about basketball please help me understand this.
@PeterDiLutis

#98 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 November 2021 - 08:39 AM

Serious question. When you have the more pure talented/athletic team in 9.5 out of 10 games you play in a given season, wouldn’t it make more sense to push the tempo and get as many shots/possessions as possible?

Like when an inferior team plays MD, aren’t they thrilled that they play so slow?

Example - if MD played Duke, wouldnt they be happy if Duke played a slow weaving half court offense?

I don't know more about basketball than anyone, but 100%. 

Also, are you new to Mark Turgeon? You guys should really get to know one another. Dude drives me absolutely insane with this garbo.

#99 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 09:05 AM

Also not very basketball savvy, so maybe I'm talking out my rear here... But it always seemed that Gary's squads had an identity of sorts. Whether you liked it or not, so be it. Whether it worked well or not varied obviously. But they seemed to have a goal and a scheme going in each game, and they'd adjust a little as needed. Whether it was press and fast break, or the more traditional flex offense where he often had wide bodied bigs inside. I always wished he'd focused more on integrating more quality outside shooters, but whatever...

Turgeon's teams I swear it looks to my novice eye like they don't ever have much of an identity, or a coordinated plan. I dunno, maybe that's a bad way to say it, but just too much "winging it" possession to possession. Lots of standing around waiting for someone else to do something on offense, or isolated hero ball. Defenses that routinely allow wide open three looks. Just always looks so disjointed to me.

I recall a game a few years back where they had the ball in the final seconds, I think trailing. They come out of a timeout where I assume they schemed up something to get a quality shot off. Wound up being an inbound to a big man (I forget who) who dribbles around a little bit outside the arc, then winds up needing to heave up a long three at the buzzer. Just not a sign of a well instructed team to me. And it happens all the time. A lot of their occasional late game winning shot possessions seem to be "Melo Trimble" (or pick a guard name of the year) dribbling way outside the arc for a while, running down the clock while the rest of the offense tends to stand around, and then draining a long three at the buzzer. Great and exciting when it happens, but not my idea of executing a clever play / plan.

#100 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 09:14 AM

Absolutely.  Especially in a year like this, with the depth this roster has.

I don't know more about basketball than anyone, but 100%. 

Also, are you new to Mark Turgeon? You guys should really get to know one another. Dude drives me absolutely insane with this garbo.

Absolutely. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=