You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:49 PM

Football prints the $

Not enough to liberate us from Turgeon. But let's keep dumping hundreds of millions into a program that *prays* it one day can hang with freakin' Iowa.

#102 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:49 PM

And MD is not a basketball school. If they were, Turgeon and his mediocre results would be long gone.

You're determined to make me see this reality, but for the moment, I still refuse. It's a terrible thought. Ugh. 

#103 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 October 2021 - 10:16 PM

You're determined to make me see this reality, but for the moment, I still refuse. It's a terrible thought. Ugh. 

You don’t need me to see it. The results speak for themselves. If you want to give UM a label, call them a lacrosse or soccer school. Those are sports where they take winning seriously.

#104 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 October 2021 - 10:21 PM

And MD is not a basketball school. If they were, Turgeon and his mediocre results would be long gone.

IMO, Turgeon has made them not a basketball school.

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#105 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 10:25 PM

IMO, Turgeon has made them not a basketball school.

The administration and big donors are ultimately responsible. Turgeon has been extended twice. If they wanted to move on, they could have. A “basketball school” would have.

#106 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 10:36 PM

You guys are trapped. Maryland is a garbage football school. You will be doormats or pretenders for the rest of your lives. You're a basketball school. The moment you left the ACC - you faded into irrelevancy.

Nobody cares if you beat Illinois in October. They cared when you took down Duke though. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#107 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 10:36 PM

And what pisses me off? That you all got on board with it. 

But whaddya gonna do.

#108 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2021 - 11:24 PM

And what pisses me off? That you all got on board with it.

But whaddya gonna do.

Very true. Myself included. I miss the ACC badly. Everything you said in both posts is spot on.

#109 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 03 October 2021 - 12:26 AM

You guys are trapped. Maryland is a garbage football school. You will be doormats or pretenders for the rest of your lives. You're a basketball school. The moment you left the ACC - you faded into irrelevancy.

Nobody cares if you beat Illinois in October. They cared when you took down Duke though. 

For what it's worth, I never was on board with moving to the Big 10.I thought it was dumb when it was announced, and I think it's dumb now.  And for all the talk that the Big 10 is more of a football conference, that's kind of odd since the ACC has 3 national champions in the past 10 years (Clemson 2x, FSU) and the Big 10 only has 1 (Ohio St.)

This was about money and athletic program being broke.  They mortgaged the basketball program because they were broke.  They were never going to magically rescue the football program through this deal.

#110 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 12:43 AM

The basketball program descended into mediocrity a decade before the move to the Big Ten.

• BaltBird 24 and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#111 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 03 October 2021 - 01:40 AM

The basketball program descended into mediocrity a decade before the move to the Big Ten.

A decade?  That's a stretch.  5-6 years before?  Sure.

But moving to the Big 10 assured that they'd never leave.

#112 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:06 AM

A decade?  That's a stretch.  5-6 years before?  Sure.

But moving to the Big 10 assured that they'd never leave.

No, it didn’t. Their incompetence and low standards ensures they will never leave. If they want a great basketball program, they can have one. The entire university has to be committed and on the same page; the regents, president, boosters, etc. None of that has anything to do with what conference they’re in.

And check your history. They entered the Big Ten in the 2014-15 season. That was 11 seasons after that big ACC tournament run. The next two seasons (2005-06) they were NIT. Pretty mediocre.

#113 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:56 AM

Yeah I don't buy conferences meaningfully mattering for basketball when Gonzaga has made multiple national title games.

The ACC people cared about ended once they spent less time playing Duke because they had to start playing Miami or Virginia Tech and now they would've been playing Pitt over doing home-and-homes with UNC. Also the students who provide Maryland with what I think is still a pretty strong home court advantage are going to be further removed from the ACC every year, I feel like most people going to a game against a top 10 MSU aren't going to be like "damn I wish this was North Carolina" 

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#114 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:59 AM

Yeah, they're not a basketball school anymore because Turgeon can't close. His teams generally don't improve as the year goes on, and they don't fare well in the tournaments that they do make. 

#115 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 11:02 AM

I feel like most people going to a game against a top 10 MSU aren't going to be like "damn I wish this was North Carolina" 

Yeah, instead they say "damn, I wish we had a better shot of winning this one."

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLRoseKatz like this

#116 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 October 2021 - 11:07 AM

For what it's worth, I never was on board with moving to the Big 10.I thought it was dumb when it was announced, and I think it's dumb now.  And for all the talk that the Big 10 is more of a football conference, that's kind of odd since the ACC has 3 national champions in the past 10 years (Clemson 2x, FSU) and the Big 10 only has 1 (Ohio St.)

This was about money and athletic program being broke.  They mortgaged the basketball program because they were broke.  They were never going to magically rescue the football program through this deal.

Well Clemson ain't getting a national title this year and FSU probably isn't even gonna get a winning record lol

The ACC is much more top heavy than the Big Ten. In 2019 the Big Ten ended the year with 6 ranked teams and 2018 had 5, while the ACC had 1 in 2019 and 2 in 2018. 

#117 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2021 - 11:10 AM

Yeah, instead they say "damn, I wish we had a better shot of winning this one."

Lol.

#118 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 October 2021 - 11:22 AM

Yeah I don't think this forum existed when the ACC added VT and Miami and if it did I was not allowed to use the internet because I was about 7...but I'd love to know what people's reaction was when a supposed basketball conference added two obvious football schools.

VT's last tournament appearance when they joined the ACC was 1996 and Miami's was admittedly a more recent 2002 but their last two years in the Big East were 4-12 in conference play twice. 

#119 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 11:22 AM

The rest is BS, but you got the bold part spot on. The move was all about money. They might have spun this as a good thing for football, but that was just to try and win over a skeptical public. The benefit of going to the Big Ten was that they didn't have to cut more sports than they already did a couple years before they announced the move.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#120 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,384 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 01:38 PM

Really don't get the basketball school, conference discussions over and over.

Its 2021. MD has been in the Big Ten for years.
That's not changing.

You aren't good enough football wise...keep addressing what you can address and working to improve.
  • BSLZackKiesel likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=