#81 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 October 2021 - 09:33 PM

The bigger the game the bigger egg Maryland can lay.

Just terrible.

@mikeghg

#82 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 October 2021 - 09:48 PM

Locksley complained about the Big Ten giving MD too many Friday games. He’s making the wrong argument. He needs to beg them to institute a mercy rule.

Nice Hollywood Brown impersonation by Jarret earlier too. They even wear the same number.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#83 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2021 - 09:48 PM

It's a real shame. I badly wanted to hang in there tonight. Just not there yet.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#84 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 10:08 PM

Wake me up if MD ever gets a coach who can instill some discipline and mental fortitude.

#85 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2021 - 10:13 PM

Wake me up if MD ever gets a coach who can instill some discipline and mental fortitude.

I still don't think the talent is there either. It's all those things.

#86 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 10:17 PM

Is anyone surprised? Every once in a while they may luck into beating a Penn State or Iowa if those schools are having a down year and all the stars align. They'll never hang with the Ohio States or Wisconsins of the Big Ten. Just be happy when they can win 6-7 games and make a decent bowl.

#87 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 01 October 2021 - 10:47 PM

I still don't think the talent is there either. It's all those things.

I think the talent is sufficient to be much better than what they were tonight. It’s a lack of discipline, a lack of leadership, and an emotionally weak and fragile QB who while talented, cannot overcome a mistake.

#88 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2021 - 10:52 PM

I think the talent is sufficient to be much better than what they were tonight. It’s a lack of discipline, a lack of leadership, and an emotionally weak and fragile QB who while talented, cannot overcome a mistake.

All spot on.

#89 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 October 2021 - 11:34 PM

That was frustrating obviously but Iowa does deserve some credit, they definitely proved why they're a top five team

#90 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 October 2021 - 11:52 PM

Just got back from the game. I lasted all the way until Taulia's final interception, couldn't hold out any longer than that.

This was a game we'd circled on Maryland's schedule long before the season started. It was an opportunity for them to show that they can hang with the upper echelon of the conference, and they fell flat on their faces once again. Taulia's performance was especially disappointing, and the turnovers he committed are the main reason things spiraled out of control as quickly as they did. While he hadn't made a single bad throw in the first four games, every interception he threw tonight seemed like it was right to an Iowa defender. It reminded me a lot of his first collegiate start against Northwestern last year.

I'm not ready to give up on Taulia or Locksley entirely yet, but I think by the end of this season we'll have a much clearer picture of what the future of the program looks like. If they continue down the path they started tonight, we'll rightfully be talking about a very hot seat for Locksley heading into the 2022 season. But if they can rebound, show that this game was an anomaly, and compete in their games against Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State then things won't look as bleak in hindsight as they do right now. It's a tall task, and it starts in Columbus next week.

This team may very well still reach a bowl game, but that's not enough for a group with this much talent. Getting embarrassed every time you play a ranked conference opponent is unacceptable.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#91 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 October 2021 - 12:03 AM

I'll also say this: the appetite is clearly there for good Maryland football. The atmosphere in the stadium just before kickoff was unlike anything I'd ever seen for a Terps football game (also the new video board is pretty unreal). But you can't keep getting obliterated in these sorts of games and keep expecting people to show up like that.

• Greg Pappas and Mashed Potatoes like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#92 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 06:17 AM

As great of a recruiter as Locksley is, is there anything to suggest that he's actually a good head coach? He was horrible at New Mexico and hasn't been much better here.

#93 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 06:18 AM

Also, it's only his third year and considering the Durkin disaster.... I can't imagine much incentive for him to be on any sort of hot seat.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#94 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 October 2021 - 08:16 AM

I try not top make too many knee jerk reactions to bad losses, slumps etc., but the way Maryland continually craps the bed in big games, makes me doubt whether they will ever be, at best more than a mid carder in the B10.  Last night, they got pushed around and bullied on both sides of the LOS.  They physically were nowhere near strong enough to deal with Iowa.  In addition, the turnovers were in most cases just dumb mistakes.

I think Maryland may have an occasional high point season, but in most years they will be a fringe bowl team.   Someone convince me I am wrong.

@mikeghg

#95 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 October 2021 - 08:22 AM

I'll also say this: the appetite is clearly there for good Maryland football. The atmosphere in the stadium just before kickoff was unlike anything I'd ever seen for a Terps football game (also the new video board is pretty unreal). But you can't keep getting obliterated in these sorts of games and keep expecting people to show up like that.

Actually avoiding the trap game loss to Illinois/Kent State that they couldn't do the prior years definitely helped generate some buzz, people are obviously gonna compare this to the 2019 PSU game and they're not wrong but at least this time they actually entered the primetime game unbeaten 

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#96 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2021 - 10:40 AM

When has a top 5 or even ranked team in general, come to CP on an evening time slot, and it hasn't been a crazed crowd? No one is or has denied fans won't be interested in a good Maryland team.

But in general, Maryland would be wise to remember they're a basketball school, and you know, actually try and win Championships in the sport you've actually done so this millennium.

#97 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:10 PM

When has a top 5 or even ranked team in general, come to CP on an evening time slot, and it hasn't been a crazed crowd? No one is or has denied fans won't be interested in a good Maryland team.

But in general, Maryland would be wise to remember they're a basketball school, and you know, actually try and win Championships in the sport you've actually done so this millennium.

Football prints the $

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#98 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:08 PM

And MD is not a basketball school. If they were, Turgeon and his mediocre results would be long gone.

#99 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:18 PM

As real fans of a team that has let us down many times before, it is human nature for most of us to expect more of the same, BUT we are supposed to support our team through thick and thin.  I think to myself that I'd feel pretty bad if we go on to win a few more games, going 7-5 or even 8-4, and went to a decent bowl, without Demus. 

We all desperately want to have a winner here... and it starts with showing we can have a winning record.  Maybe, just maybe, this year is just a pre-cursor for coming seasons, where we actually do win our share of those prime time games and break into the Top 15 or so.  Dreaming? Maybe so... but I also don't want to give up on my team and set a poor example of what a fan is supposed to be to my grandson, and other family members. I'm embarrassed that this 56-year old man sulks when things don't work out for the Terps (or Ravens, or O's).  Maybe it's time to tell them to shake it off and go get 'em next time.  Maybe, just maybe, it shouldn't matter SO much to begin with.  

#100 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 02 October 2021 - 09:27 PM

Well, we lost by way more than 2 touchdowns so no moral victory today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=