Photo

College Football 2021: General Talk (Georgia Wins Title)

• Please log in to reply
1045 replies to this topic

#61 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:36 AM

Saw where it is Stage 4 pancreatic cancer for Bowden. Sadly, that probably means he won’t be with us much longer. I have mixed feelings about him, but he was one of the more interesting and colorful figures in CFB for a long time, and his place in history is well-earned.

#62 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,107 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:40 AM

CBS Sports: LSU QB Myles Brennan suffers 'severe' arm injury, putting availability for 2021 season in doubt

https://www.cbssport...eason-in-doubt/

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,107 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:51 PM

ESPN: College football preseason power rankings: Alabama -- who else? -- starts at No. 1

https://www.espn.com...lse-starts-no-1

#64 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,107 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 07:11 AM

CBS Sports: 21 compelling storylines, teams, coaches, players that will dominate the 2021 college football season

https://www.cbssport...ootball-season/

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,107 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 07:38 AM

247: Preseason College Football Bowl Projections

https://247sports.co...exas-168869321/

#66 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,419 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 12:54 PM

ESPN: Preseason Coaches Poll

Preseason Coaches Poll

Alabama (63)

2 Clemson

3 Oklahoma (2)

4 Ohio State

5 Georgia

6 Texas A&M

7 Notre Dame

8 Iowa State

9 North Carolina

10 Cincinnati

11 Florida

12 Oregon

13 LSU

14 USC

15 Wisconsin

16 Miami

17 Indiana

18 Iowa

19 Texas

20 Penn State

21 Washington

22 Oklahoma State

23 Louisiana

24 Coastal Carolina

25 Ole Miss

#67 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,419 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 12:56 PM

My thoughts.

Overrated: Notre Dame (shocker)

Underrated: Indiana

Missing: Arizona State (the talent is there to be in the Top 25, but perhaps the thinking is that NCAA investigations will be too big a distraction)

#68 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,419 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 06:57 PM

BSL: College Football 2021 - Key Games to Watch

The Seven (Regular Season) Games That Will Most Impact Who Makes the College Football Playoff

(feel free to let me know if I missed any)

Seven-Games.jpg

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#69 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:21 PM

I know you said regular season but Wisconsin Ohio State big 10 title game will probably be a play in game.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#70 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:22 PM

Utah at USC could have some sneaky juice to it
  • BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeLowe like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#71 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,419 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 10:35 PM

Utah at USC could have some sneaky juice to it

Agreed. It’s always a slugfest when they play.

LSU/Alabama was my first choice I didn’t mention. The Tigers are an easy bounce back pick this season.

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,107 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 01:19 PM

CBS Sports: Coaches Poll top 25 reactions: Notre Dame overrated, LSU underrated in first rankings ahead of 2021 season

https://www.cbssport...of-2021-season/

#73 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 03:58 PM

Interesting piece of the seven deciding games Mike. I'd love to see Indiana knock off Ohio State; nothing against the Buckeyes but I don't think Indiana got nearly enough credit for the classy way they stepped aside to allow Ohio State to play for the Big Ten title last year, when the conference rewrote the rules to make it happen. The Hoosiers, who had won the division under the rules in place, could have pitched a major fit but decided not to. It would be poetic justice if they won-they scared the Buckeyes in Columbus last year.

If Georgia loses both the Clemson and Florida games, which I think is possible, Kirby Smart will be feeling more heat than he already is. I've lived in Georgia the last three seasons and the feeling down here is that they have underachieved. Amazing what expectations can be like-if Maryland or at least half the FCS schools had a run like the Bulldogs had they'd be naming the stadium, children, anything after the coach. It's tough work but the pay is good.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
Jim Johnson
BSL Contributor

#74 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,419 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 09:37 PM

Interesting piece of the seven deciding games Mike. I'd love to see Indiana knock off Ohio State; nothing against the Buckeyes but I don't think Indiana got nearly enough credit for the classy way they stepped aside to allow Ohio State to play for the Big Ten title last year, when the conference rewrote the rules to make it happen. The Hoosiers, who had won the division under the rules in place, could have pitched a major fit but decided not to. It would be poetic justice if they won-they scared the Buckeyes in Columbus last year.

If Georgia loses both the Clemson and Florida games, which I think is possible, Kirby Smart will be feeling more heat than he already is. I've lived in Georgia the last three seasons and the feeling down here is that they have underachieved. Amazing what expectations can be like-if Maryland or at least half the FCS schools had a run like the Bulldogs had they'd be naming the stadium, children, anything after the coach. It's tough work but the pay is good.

If Indiana had lost to some other team and not had the chance to play OSU due to COVID, they would have had every right to be livid over the midseason rule change. That the two teams did settle the matter on the field made it easier for everyone to accept the decision; especially with a Playoff berth at stake for the conference.

Smart had UGA one half away from a national title 4 seasons ago. I understand their expectations are high, given the resources they commit to football, but I still think putting him on the hot seat at this point is premature. There would be no less than a dozen programs blowing up his phone if they let him go after this season.

#75 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 August 2021 - 02:50 PM

If Indiana had lost to some other team and not had the chance to play OSU due to COVID, they would have had every right to be livid over the midseason rule change. That the two teams did settle the matter on the field made it easier for everyone to accept the decision; especially with a Playoff berth at stake for the conference.

Smart had UGA one half away from a national title 4 seasons ago. I understand their expectations are high, given the resources they commit to football, but I still think putting him on the hot seat at this point is premature. There would be no less than a dozen programs blowing up his phone if they let him go after this season.

Agree with you all the way Mike, but regarding Smart, there is very little reasonable about college football and its fans in the south.

Jim Johnson
BSL Contributor

#76 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,107 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 06:18 AM

CBS Sports: College Football's Need-to-Know 20: The most underrated NFL Draft prospects entering the 2021 season

https://www.cbssport...he-2021-season/

#77 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,419 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 12:30 PM

Preseason Associated Press Poll

Alabama (47)

2 Oklahoma (6)

3 Clemson (6)

4 Ohio State (1)

5 Georgia (3)

6 Texas A&M

7 Iowa State

8 Cincinnati

9 Notre Dame

10 North Carolina

11 Oregon

12 Wisconsin

13 Florida

14 Miami

15 USC

16 LSU

17 Indiana

18 Iowa

19 Penn State

20 Washington

21 Texas

22 Coastal Carolina

23 Louisiana

24 Utah

25 Arizona State

#78 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:20 PM

I laughed at Miami and USC back-to-back, remarkably similar program trajectories in the 21st century

she/her

#79 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,419 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 03:39 PM

SI: Forty Observations About the 2021 Football Schedule

Takeaways:

- Notre Dame faces a crazy number of teams who will be on two weeks of rest/preparation (six, five of them with the Irish having only one week)

- Stanford's entire 12-game schedule consists of Power 5 opponents

- Wisconsin's conference home/road schedule sets up very favorably for them to win the Big Ten West (not to mention they are likely already that division's best team)

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#80 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,107 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 11:40 AM

ESPN: Nick Saban Q&A: College Football Playoff expansion, NIL, vaccines and more

https://www.espn.com...l-vaccines-more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=