38 replies to this topic

#21 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:22 PM

You know it's a bad night when you actually have an interception and nobody realizes it.  Seems Marlon Humphrey actually intercepted the ball on a third down play, but neither he nor the refs realized it!

https://www.cbssport...dDwKBunMR9hcp2g

Technically it should have been an interception, and then after Humphrey just got rid of the ball it should have been an interception and fumble.  

• PrimeTime likes this

#22 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:40 PM

It might have been Vinny on 105.7 today, but someone noted that we should just imagine where the offense would have been last night without Lamar in the pocket. The amount of pressure and frequently collapsing pocket would have resulted in probably a dozen sacks and maybe a few INTs. So yeah, Lamar needs to protect the ball obviously when he's on the move... but that game could've been a 47-10 affair in a lot of other situations.

Why Harbaugh has been unable to add a component to the offense to combat pressure a little better, is so so frustrating to me. Going in to year 14 now, we continue to see issues where an opponent's pass rush is met with "we're going to keep playing our way and hope for the best". No screen game. No quick one or three step slants. No quick WR outs. No inside give / pitch. Nothing to schematically get the ball out quicker.
  • JStruds likes this

#23 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:54 PM

It might have been Vinny on 105.7 today, but someone noted that we should just imagine where the offense would have been last night without Lamar in the pocket. The amount of pressure and frequently collapsing pocket would have resulted in probably a dozen sacks and maybe a few INTs. So yeah, Lamar needs to protect the ball obviously when he's on the move... but that game could've been a 47-10 affair in a lot of other situations.

Why Harbaugh has been unable to add a component to the offense to combat pressure a little better, is so so frustrating to me. Going in to year 14 now, we continue to see issues where an opponent's pass rush is met with "we're going to keep playing our way and hope for the best". No screen game. No quick one or three step slants. No quick WR outs. No inside give / pitch. Nothing to schematically get the ball out quicker.

I know, it's a mystery to me too.  You don't want to take Lamar's street ball instincts away from him because so many big plays have come from it but if they expect him to operate within the framework of convention, maybe they should take a few pages out of the Steelers playbook and get him to release the ball a lot sooner.  Pass protection is probably going to be an issue all year, just like it's been since Jackson took over at quarterback.  Obviously, you need some time for longer passes to develop but for the most part, he's not going deep so just get rid of the ball before getting hit.  That's all we need is for our best player to join the list of the IR fraternity. 

#24 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:58 PM

I actually feel like last night answered a lot of questions.

Can they replace Peters? No.

Can this defense survive the loss of arguably it's 2nd best player? No.

Can Lamar will the team to win without any weapons? No.

Is Villanueva the answer? No.

Is this an elite team, or even a good team? Didn't look like it.

I'm really intrigued by Chris Westry.  He looked really good in coverage, albeit in limited snaps.   Better than Averett.  I think that, with Smith coming back next week hopefully, if Westry can maintain/improve on his performance this week in more extended duty then we won't be replacing Peters, but it won't sting quite as bad.

#25 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:59 PM

You know it's a bad night when you actually have an interception and nobody realizes it.  Seems Marlon Humphrey actually intercepted the ball on a third down play, but neither he nor the refs realized it!

Technically it should have been an interception, and then after Humphrey just got rid of the ball it should have been an interception and fumble.  

Geez, that's the first time I've seen that.  What the hell, is Humphrey in La La Land?  He's got the ball, starts to walk and drops it to the ground?  I know these guys can't wait to get up from a play to celebrate but that's pretty sad if he indeed had possession of the ball. In his defense, you really can't see if he's actually holding the ball or it's just in the process of bouncing off his body.  

#26 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:02 PM

I know, it's a mystery to me too.  You don't want to take Lamar's street ball instincts away from him because so many big plays have come from it but if they expect him to operate within the framework of convention, maybe they should take a few pages out of the Steelers playbook and get him to release the ball a lot sooner.  Pass protection is probably going to be an issue all year, just like it's been since Jackson took over at quarterback.  Obviously, you need some time for longer passes to develop but for the most part, he's not going deep so just get rid of the ball before getting hit.  That's all we need is for our best player to join the list of the IR fraternity. 

No mystery to me.  The Ravens RBs muffed at least 2 run options this game (that's what I saw, it could have been more.) I don't think Roman trusted his RBs to be able to correctly receive the handoff or let it go given that Williams didn't really have first-team reps until this week, and they signed Murray off the street and he barely practiced with the team.

Lamar normally waits till the last possible second to decide whether to give the ball or pull it back and I think he needs to be in sync with his RBs for that to work.

edit to add: The Ravens have never really featured much screening because defenses haven't really been overcommitting on the QB like they do for other teams.  It's kind of hard to screen behind a mush rush.

#27 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:05 PM

No mystery to me.  The Ravens RBs muffed at least 2 run options this game (that's what I saw, it could have been more.) I don't think Roman trusted his RBs to be able to correctly receive the handoff or let it go given that Williams didn't really have first-team reps until this week, and they signed Murray off the street and he barely practiced with the team.

Lamar normally waits till the last possible second to decide whether to give the ball or pull it back and I think he needs to be in sync with his RBs for that to work.

And he needs the OL to do their jobs too.  

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,436 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:42 PM

I was wondering about that play when I saw the replay right after it happened. And realizing he just tossed the ball down, I wonder if the coaches decided not to challenge because they saw the replay and realized if they did, and if it would have been ruled a fumble on top of the INT, they would have ended up giving the Raiders a first down rather than an incomplete pass and being forced to punt.

• cprenegade and sandiegosean like this

#29 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 04:46 PM

Fans who think offensive linemen should just be plug and play at 100% are not being realistic. They're not; it requires coordination and this unit has had so little playing time together. Same with lots of teams. And that goes double for running backs. The failings of the offensive line in pass blocking would indicate to me that we should run more. And definitely more quick hitting type of plays that don't rely on the QB having a lot of time.

I was concerned going into the game that Lamar Jackson would try to do too much, and I think that happened. I was not happy about keeping Williams out of the second half. It's way too early to give up on this offense though; I think we can expect improvement.

#30 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:19 PM

I don't think Lamar was trying to do too much.  Outside of Hollywood, whom I was happy to see looking 100%, Lamar was the only weapon they had.  I thought Lamar played pretty well.  Yeah, I know he fumbled twice.  I was more concern with him holding on to the ball too long which is what led to those fumbles.  He made some great throws, but he tends to wait for things to open up.  Even his TD to Hollywood took forever for him to unleash the pass.  Maybe he is used to having more time.  Getting harrased all game,  I thought he played pretty well.

I agree things will improve with more reps all around.  These new RBs aren't used to the RPO the Ravens utilize.   The OL didn't get enough snaps together during the preseason.  This isn't  just a Raven's problem but league wide issue during week one.  Perhaps coaches will not rest starters the entire preseason next year.  Andy Reid played his starters a fair amount.  He seems to know what he is doing.

#31 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,026 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:43 PM

I don't think Lamar was trying to do too much. Outside of Hollywood, whom I was happy to see looking 100%, Lamar was the only weapon they had. I thought Lamar played pretty well. Yeah, I know he fumbled twice. I was more concern with him holding on to the ball too long which is what led to those fumbles. He made some great throws, but he tends to wait for things to open up. Even his TD to Hollywood took forever for him to unleash the pass. Maybe he is used to having more time. Getting harrased all game, I thought he played pretty well.

I agree things will improve with more reps all around. These new RBs aren't used to the RPO the Ravens utilize. The OL didn't get enough snaps together during the preseason. This isn't just a Raven's problem but league wide issue during week one. Perhaps coaches will not rest starters the entire preseason next year. Andy Reid played his starters a fair amount. He seems to know what he is doing.

The mesh points on run options is something that I personally never accounted for when evaluating the losses of Gus and JK. I think theyll get better and the run game will be ok. Determining who can be most effective as our RBs it probably comes down to who can get on the same page with Lamar the best. There is no doubt he was putting in extra work Mon. I mean he was directing traffic in the backfield presnap all game. Also agree he holds the ball as a pure pocket passer too long at times. Thats just something I think you have to live with. I dont ever expect him to have great anticipation and postsnap reading skills.

#32 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:44 PM

I don't think Lamar was trying to do too much. Outside of Hollywood, whom I was happy to see looking 100%, Lamar was the only weapon they had. I thought Lamar played pretty well. Yeah, I know he fumbled twice. I was more concern with him holding on to the ball too long which is what led to those fumbles. He made some great throws, but he tends to wait for things to open up. Even his TD to Hollywood took forever for him to unleash the pass. Maybe he is used to having more time. Getting harrased all game, I thought he played pretty well.

I agree things will improve with more reps all around. These new RBs aren't used to the RPO the Ravens utilize. The OL didn't get enough snaps together during the preseason. This isn't just a Raven's problem but league wide issue during week one. Perhaps coaches will not rest starters the entire preseason next year. Andy Reid played his starters a fair amount. He seems to know what he is doing.

Bill Belichick almost never plays starters in the preseason. He knows what he's doing too.

Playing our starters was what began the whole mess with Dobbins.

#33 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:21 PM

The mesh points on run options is something that I personally never accounted for when evaluating the losses of Gus and JK. I think theyll get better and tge run game will be ok. Heck, it was last night but when determining who can be most effective as our RBs it probably comes down to who can get on the same page with Lamar the best. There is no doubt he was putting in extra work Mon. I mean he was directing traffic in the backfield presnap all game. Also agree he holds the ball as a pure pocket passer too long at times. Thats just something I think you have to live with. I dont ever expect him to have great anticipation and postsnap reading skills.

I would say that last part is his biggest weakness as a passer. He doesn't have that anticipation of a guy breaking open. He can read a defense, he can make some beautiful touch passes. He goes through progressions and finds the open man. But he I'm not sure he'll ever have that anticipation of a guy breaking open.

And I'm ok with that. He is so good at finding the open man, or reading coverage and knowing where he needs to go with the ball.

#34 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:51 PM

I'm wondering why Wink turned into Dean Pees at the end of regulation and dropped 8.
  • JordanKough likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#35 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:54 PM

Bill Belichick almost never plays starters in the preseason. He knows what he's doing too.

Playing our starters was what began the whole mess with Dobbins.

At least Dobbins injury was a result of contact.  I can almost live with that, even if he shouldn't have been in there in hindsight.  These other season ending injuries as a result of just running and cutting is beyond infuriating to me.  

#36 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,026 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:55 PM

I would say that last part is his biggest weakness as a passer. He doesn't have that anticipation of a guy breaking open. He can read a defense, he can make some beautiful touch passes. He goes through progressions and finds the open man. But he I'm not sure he'll ever have that anticipation of a guy breaking open.

And I'm ok with that. He is so good at finding the open man, or reading coverage and knowing where he needs to go with the ball.

Look, its irony or an oxymoron or one of those things but you need to script more unscripted plays for Lamar. Hes a back yard QB and thats not meant to be a knock because he makes it work and work damn well at the highest level.
  • JStruds likes this

#37 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 05:54 AM

Look, its irony or an oxymoron or one of those things but you need to script more unscripted plays for Lamar. Hes a back yard QB and thats not meant to be a knock because he makes it work and work damn well at the highest level.

You've got it.  It wasn't until they finally ceased with that ridiculous project last year to turn Lamar into a pocket passer did the offense begin to click again.  He's never going to be a Tom Brady type quarterback.  Or even a Joe Flacco.  When his legs finally go later in his career, he'll probably just become an average quarterback who can manage a game.  He's never going to be an "off the charts" passer. He's a junk yard dog with generational, revolutionary talent.  I almost wish they'd just let Lamar call all the plays because Roman gets a little too clever for his own good sometimes and loses feel for what's going on.  As in Williams being completely shut down in the second half Monday. 

#38 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:41 AM

I was wondering about that play when I saw the replay right after it happened. And realizing he just tossed the ball down, I wonder if the coaches decided not to challenge because they saw the replay and realized if they did, and if it would have been ruled a fumble on top of the INT, they would have ended up giving the Raiders a first down rather than an incomplete pass and being forced to punt.

When I saw the replay the ball was laying on Waller's back. Both players must have thought the ball hit the ground.

#39 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:04 AM

Absolutely. Just let him be himself. I think the loss of every RB that knew the playbook was more of a hinderence that anyone anticipated. Those mesh-point type plays have a level of feel and familiarity between the players to work. You could see a couple times both Murray and Williams were holding the ball too tight and Lamar had to use some force to pull it back out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=