@BSLZackKiesel

#167 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:49 PM

If there’s no such thing as good losses then there are no bad wins either, but they should not be at all happy with their performance tonight.

#168 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:52 PM

Ideally you never want to play sloppy but playing sloppy and winning is something I feel like they've never done recently so hey I'll take it 

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#169 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:53 PM

Clearly I was wrong. Congrats to coach on his 11th career win.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#170 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:08 AM

Maryland obviously has some things to work on this week, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. But this is the type of game that they would've lost in years past (i.e. Temple, 2019). To overcome the adversity of turnovers, ill-timed penalties, etc. and still come away with a win is still something that I see as a small sign of progress as it relates to their mental toughness.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned Taulia being a below average quarterback which is absolutely baffling to me. He completed 74% of his passes for 350 yards and a TD, and had a number of nice runs as well. He's still yet to turn the ball over this season, and has led the team on a number of crucial drives already in both this game and against West Virginia.

The real kudos in this game should go to the defense, who were excellent once again. They held Illinois to just 3.3 yards per carry and only allowed Brandon Peters to complete 38% of his passes. All that despite being without one of their starting cornerbacks and a starting defensive lineman.

At the end of the day, a sloppy win is still a win. The coaching staff will have plenty of material for practice this week, but you'd obviously much rather work on things with a 3-0 record as opposed to a 2-1 one.

• BSLRoseKatz likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#171 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:13 AM

Yeah that is my big takeaway, every other recent version of Maryland loses this game and this time they didn't, winning gutsy games absolutely means something 

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#172 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:19 AM

Also do you think Kasim Hill, Piggy, Josh Jackson, etc pulls off a drive this effortlessly with the game on the line? Taulia wasn't perfect but this was incredibly composed for the situation

Screen-Shot-2021-09-18-at-1-17-00-AM.png

#173 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:24 AM

As rare as it is to say quarterbacking wasn’t an issue for MD, Tagovailoa wasn’t the reason they needed his last-minute heroics to barely pull out a win. He held the ball a little too long on a couple occasions when he might have been able to throw it away, but aside from that I can’t find fault with anything he did tonight. I’ll say this, any other MD QB over the past decade-plus would not have won that game. I said earlier they needed a leader to step up, and he came through.

But I’ve said this before and I’ll keep beating the drum, the coaches have got to instill more on-field discipline in them as a team. And they were way too lethargic at times, something they do not have the talent to get away with when they’re not playing Howard (and I agree with glenn, they need to stop playing FCS teams).

One last thing….MD has more wins than any team in the country. Enjoy that for the next 12 hours.

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

#174 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:30 AM

Locksley announced that CB Deonte Banks underwent shoulder surgery earlier this week, and there’s no timeline on when he’ll return. DL Mosiah Nasili-Kite re-aggravated his toe injury, so hopefully he’ll be back sooner than later.
@BSLZackKiesel

#175 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:57 AM

Maryland obviously has some things to work on this week, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. But this is the type of game that they would've lost in years past (i.e. Temple, 2019). To overcome the adversity of turnovers, ill-timed penalties, etc. and still come away with a win is still something that I see as a small sign of progress as it relates to their mental toughness.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned Taulia being a below average quarterback which is absolutely baffling to me. He completed 74% of his passes for 350 yards and a TD, and had a number of nice runs as well. He's still yet to turn the ball over this season, and has led the team on a number of crucial drives already in both this game and against West Virginia.

The real kudos in this game should go to the defense, who were excellent once again. They held Illinois to just 3.3 yards per carry and only allowed Brandon Peters to complete 38% of his passes. All that despite being without one of their starting cornerbacks and a starting defensive lineman.

At the end of the day, a sloppy win is still a win. The coaching staff will have plenty of material for practice this week, but you'd obviously much rather work on things with a 3-0 record as opposed to a 2-1 one.

I said he was overrated not below avg. Stand by that, especially if its MD fans doing the rating

#176 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:05 AM

I said he was overrated not below avg. Stand by that, especially if its MD fans doing the rating

Lol he’s completing 76% of his passes and has thrown for 940 yds, 7 TDs, and 0 INTs through 3 games. He has the highest passing grade in the Big Ten. In what possible world is that “overrated”?
@BSLZackKiesel

#177 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:16 AM

Hes got little arm talent and hes small. Give it time.

#178 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:42 AM

Hes got little arm talent and hes small. Give it time.

“Little arm talent” lol
@BSLZackKiesel

#179 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,789 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:07 AM

Pleasantly shocked they pulled that one out. Was almost certain it'd be another Terps letdown game.

#180 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,352 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 02:16 AM

“Little arm talent” lol

I mean whatever. Hes a nice little college QB. Some around here think he is his brother. Not anywhere close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=