• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Why would he lose a year as a standard transfer student? I understand why he has to sit a year if he's considered a transfer, but not why he would lose a year of eligibility.

Yeah, that is a fair question as he was dismissed from Xavier. Figure we should know relatively shortly what is going to happen with him. Is pretty ridiculous if he is not eligible this year. Maybe someone from the NCAA will show some common sense.

#22 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

This is great news. Takes the sting out of losing the Harrison twins. Could this end up being a better deal long term if the twins are one and done and Peters stays multiple years?

#23 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, I don't think Dez will lose a year. As Birds of B'More said, he hasn't used that one extra year that is usually used for injuries or redshirts.

My guess is he will not be allowed to play this year (due to transfer rules) but will have 3 more years of eligibility. DOubt he stays that long though.

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,758 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, that is a fair question as he was dismissed from Xavier. Figure we should know relatively shortly what is going to happen with him. Is pretty ridiculous if he is not eligible this year. Maybe someone from the NCAA will show some common sense.

I think he will be ineligible to play for Maryland this year, and while that would be disappointing, it's not completely ridiculous from the NCAA's perspective (though him getting expelled from Xavier was ridiculous). But, as a transfer, he should still have 3 more years of eligibility left, sitting out this season.

The year you sit out doesn't count against you.

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Posted this on the other site, but I'm really beginning to think that Gary was just a terrible recruiter.

I guess I'll take a couple whacks at the dead horse...

I don't think it's so much that he was terrible at it, since I don't think he ever earnestly tried to go after many of the top players in the area to begin with. I got into a disagreement with the owner of a certain other board who insisted the reason GW recruited poorly was because he was "lazy." Trust me, it wasn't because Gary instead thought it was more important to spend summers on the golf course or the beach. There's really numerous reasons that he didn't get better players.....from his dislike of the gray area that was recruiting via AAU, to his preference for experienced players (and thus avoiding likely one-and-dones), and his own personality. Gary always had a giant chip on his shoulder, and especially after winning a championship, he didn't believe he needed to bend over backwards to get a certain player. And more to the point, he didn't think a player that needed to be recruited in such a manner would mesh with his own underdog mentality, and would just be a poor fit in his program.

However, it should be noted that just before his retirement recruiting had improved. Gary signed Nick Faust, had a commitment from Justin Anderson (who decommitted when he left) and was close to getting a commitment from Shaq Cleare.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

MD Hoops is a ton of fun again. Awesome!

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

I think he will be ineligible to play for Maryland this year, and while that would be disappointing, it's not completely ridiculous from the NCAA's perspective (though him getting expelled from Xavier was ridiculous). But, as a transfer, he should still have 3 more years of eligibility left, sitting out this season.

The year you sit out doesn't count against you.

On ordinary transfers, the year you sit does cost you a year of eligibility. But again, if a player has a redshirt still available, he can burn that for the season he has to sit and not lose any playing years. Now in Wells' instance, perhaps the NCAA could decide that while the circumstances warrant that he still sit a season, he shouldn't have to lose a year of eligibility or his redshirt season. The NCAA is an extremely fickle bunch, so who knows?

#28 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Guys, I know we were upset about not getting the Harrison twins, but this may just be better. Why? He is more of a fit to the system. He is getting better and better at playing the point, and already had the ability to score. The Harrisons would have pushed two players to the bench, which would have upset some players and potentially caused transfers or players hurt mentally. The Harrisons are likely one and done players, which, if they did push players to the bench, would ultimately cause more harm than good. Peters will add just about everything they could have added, for more than one year. He is obviously not as talented as them, but in the long run, could end up working a million times better than the twins could have. I love this addition.
@Langley486

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:55 AM

There were many factors that led to Gary's horrible recruiting but mostly he just hated it. And yes, part of that hate included not wanting to go to the grey areas or kissing recruits butt's but he also was too lazy to go 20 miles down the road at times to watch a kid play. There was also the story of Kendall Marshall, who was on an official visit to campus and never met Gary. Gary wasn't even there and Marshall got his scholarship offer from an assistant coach. That is unacceptable. He neglected that part of his job for a long, long time and that was always my biggest problem with Gary. He didn't take all of his job responibilites seriously or put in the effort to put the best players in the program. Yes, very good in game coach but how good are coaches when GM's don't give the coach any talent to work with. In this case, Gary was his own GM but didn't want any part of that job. It was obvious that recruiting would pick up as soon as the next guy came along. I was saying that for years. MD has a lot of things going for it. There was and is no reason for them not to get multiple top 100 players a year.

Already Turge has brought back Faust(yes I know he was a gary recruit), Cleare(who was set to commit to Gary), Layman, Mitchell, Peters, Dodd as top 100 recruits. He also has secured transfers of former top 100 recruits in Wells, and Smotrycz. Then he you add in player like Len who by al accounts definitely would have been a top 100 player had he played HS ball in America. All of this in less than 2 years on the job. I won't even mention a guy like Seth Allen and Sam Cassell who by some accounts are very good under the radar/late risers. You're seeing a roster of legit depth being put together. The problem with Gary was he would never have legit depth. Yes, he'd strike on a top 100 player or so a year but if one was a bust or didn't quite live up to expectations(Dupree,Parker,etc) there just wasn't enough talent behind them.

So yeah, now that Turge is getting quality talent it'sgonna be all about how he coaches them up. He has a reputation as a good coach and IMO last year he did a pretty darn good job with the lack of depth and overall talent he had last year. I don't think many people thought they would win 17 games and at one point be 6-7 in the conference and sniffing a possible tourny berth. Just like the O's this year, my apathy for MD basketball is gone. So excited to get the season started. I really think we are a tourny team this year and next year could be Top10.

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

http://www.baltimore... ... 8917.story

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

I guess I'll take a couple whacks at the dead horse...

I don't think it's so much that he was terrible at it, since I don't think he ever earnestly tried to go after many of the top players in the area to begin with. I got into a disagreement with the owner of a certain other board who insisted the reason GW recruited poorly was because he was "lazy." Trust me, it wasn't because Gary instead thought it was more important to spend summers on the golf course or the beach. There's really numerous reasons that he didn't get better players.....from his dislike of the gray area that was recruiting via AAU, to his preference for experienced players (and thus avoiding likely one-and-dones), and his own personality. Gary always had a giant chip on his shoulder, and especially after winning a championship, he didn't believe he needed to bend over backwards to get a certain player. And more to the point, he didn't think a player that needed to be recruited in such a manner would mesh with his own underdog mentality, and would just be a poor fit in his program.

However, it should be noted that just before his retirement recruiting had improved. Gary signed Nick Faust, had a commitment from Justin Anderson (who decommitted when he left) and was close to getting a commitment from Shaq Cleare.

I think this sums it up perfectly.
Gary at age 66 decided that he was not going to kiss 17 year old one and done players butts. and more importantly deal with the sleazy aspects of the AAU coaches. He was not a terrible recruiter nor was he lazy but he seemed to draw a line in the sand as to how far he would go and what kind of players he would pursue.
Gary used to be buddies with Boheim and Calhoun but in the later years had a falling out with them over what he percieved as differences in AAU outlook. Good points in noting Justin Anderson, CLeare and Faust. They are all top recruits and probably would be playing for the Terps under Gary.
I refuse to bash Gary, because I think he was a great game coach who followed his principles in regard to recruiting. I will say he took kids that had no business playing at Maryland.
@mikeghg

#32 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

Good notes on ALex Len, and some interesting thoughts on the future of Sam Cassell.

http://www.baltimore... ... f=obinsite

I am really anxious to see Len this year. He could really make a difference for the 2012-13 Terps.
@mikeghg

#33 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

I think this sums it up perfectly.
Gary at age 66 decided that he was not going to kiss 17 year old one and done players butts. and more importantly deal with the sleazy aspects of the AAU coaches. He was not a terrible recruiter nor was he lazy but he seemed to draw a line in the sand as to how far he would go and what kind of players he would pursue.
Gary used to be buddies with Boheim and Calhoun but in the later years had a falling out with them over what he percieved as differences in AAU outlook. Good points in noting Justin Anderson, CLeare and Faust. They are all top recruits and probably would be playing for the Terps under Gary.
I refuse to bash Gary, because I think he was a great game coach who followed his principles in regard to recruiting. I will say he took kids that had no business playing at Maryland.

Yeah it had nothing to do with lazy. I know for a fact that he just wanted nothing to do with one and done players. He wanted guys that would commit to 4 years at the program (they would SAY 4, but he knew as well as anyone that some of the best would leave after 3, and he didn't mind that).

The trouble was that a lot of the local players he should be building around were a lot of the top tier one and done type guys. When you refuse to sign a group of players and a lot of those players are the ones in your backyard you should be getting at least half of, it's going to put you in a big hole.
@JeremyMStrain

#34 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

Great artice. The last paragraph in particular is true.

http://www.testudoti... ... ison-twins
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=