Photo

BSL: Should the Ravens Try to Add a Familiar Face?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:39 AM

BSL: https://baltimorespo...-familiar-face/

Offensive line, specifically tackle, has given us some concerns early in camp. Ronnie Stanley was expected to be ready for week 1, But remains on the PUP with about a month until kickoff. 

They addressed the pass rush situation with the addition of Justin Houston. Should tackle be next on the wish list? 

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B, PrimeTime and 1 other like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:59 AM

This time last year, I was very concerned about the lack of quality depth along the OL and still feel that way.  The whole Stanley injury was never completely explained to fans and the severity of it was probably a lot worse than Harbaugh & Co. would want you to believe.  Who knows if he's even going to be available come Week 1.  I'm not sure who's still out there but I doubt the Ravens brass is going to risk a repeat of 2020 and will sign someone. 

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:01 AM

I'm not sure who's still out there but I doubt the Ravens brass is going to risk a repeat of 2020 and will sign someone. 

If only there was an article discussing who was still out there.  :) 

• Mike in STL likes this

#4 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 09:55 AM

If only there was an article discussing who was still out there.  :)

I know.  I did look into it before posting my comment but couldn't find much information.  I'm sure there's someone on the forum who will scour the internet or has access to the status of remaining free agents.  I just don't have the patience to go through all of that. 

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:03 AM

I know.  I did look into it before posting my comment but couldn't find much information.  I'm sure there's someone on the forum who will scour the internet or has access to the status of remaining free agents.  I just don't have the patience to go through all of that. 

There are multiple names Mike mentioned in his article? 

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:04 AM

I know. I did look into it before posting my comment but couldn't find much information. I'm sure there's someone on the forum who will scour the internet or has access to the status of remaining free agents. I just don't have the patience to go through all of that.

From the article directly above: “ If not Wagner, given that Schwartz and Okung likely are out of the Ravens price range, some elder veterans who had good careers that could play a backup role, and fill in on a part time basis if needed include Demar Datson, 35, and Jason Peters, 39.”

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:19 AM

BSL: https://baltimorespo...-familiar-face/

Offensive line, specifically tackle, has given us some concerns early in camp. Ronnie Stanley was expected to be ready for week 1, But remains on the PUP with about a month until kickoff. 

They addressed the pass rush situation with the addition of Justin Houston. Should tackle be next on the wish list? 

Nice work Mike, I thought we might bring Wagner in earlier in the spring.  He is a solid vet, who could play right tackle, and Villanueva, could play left until Stanley is ready.  If they are going to do something, do it now, to give Wagner or someone else time to settle in.

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:23 AM

JMO, but the silence around Stanley is pretty telling.  I think he may start the year on the PUP, which means he has to sit the first 6 weeks.   If Smith, Schofield or Phillips are not showing they can do the job, then reach out to Wagner.

@mikeghg

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:26 AM

From the article directly above: “ If not Wagner, given that Schwartz and Okung likely are out of the Ravens price range, some elder veterans who had good careers that could play a backup role, and fill in on a part time basis if needed include Demar Datson, 35, and Jason Peters, 39.”

I read somewhere Okung wants, no less than 7M for him to sign, so no to him.  The back injury. for Schwartz would take him off my list.  I would zero in on Wagner or Peters.

One other note, the Ravens actually have two pretty good tackles they are waiting for.  Stanley is one, but they also have Jawaun James, who they signed.  I think James and Stanley will be the starters in 22.

@mikeghg

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 10:46 AM

BSL: https://baltimorespo...-familiar-face/

I know. I did look into it before posting my comment but couldn't find much information. I'm sure there's someone on the forum who will scour the internet or has access to the status of remaining free agents. I just don't have the patience to go through all of that.

That web address at the top in the first post of a thread, highlighted in a different color, is a link to an article. If you click on it, it opens the article, and the article contains information that someone else scoured for, that you might find helpful. Saves you time scouring yourself.

If a link in a thread here has "BSL" In front of it, it was written by someone here at Baltimore Sports and Life and posted to the main page, which can be found at this link: https://baltimoresportsandlife.com/

Baltimore Sports and Life. Not just a message board.

"IT DOES OTHER THINGS!" - Seinfeld
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 11:00 AM

JMO, but the silence around Stanley is pretty telling.  I think he may start the year on the PUP, which means he has to sit the first 6 weeks.   If Smith, Schofield or Phillips are not showing they can do the job, then reach out to Wagner.

And has been from the beginning.  I don't know why it has to be such a mystery.  Harbaugh in particular, is hyper-paranoid about injuries.  It was obviously a very serious injury of the ankle/foot if it required surgery.  And that's a fragile, complex part of the body trying to support over 300 lbs. so recovery isn't going to be 6 months.  I'm fully expecting him to be still sidelined once the season starts.  Unfortunately. 

#12 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 11:11 AM

As a fan, I don't feel any entitlement that they need to tell me about Stanley's injury. I'm sure they have a pretty good idea of when he will likely be ready and will plan accordingly. If they thought he was out till week 7 I imagine AV would be getting all the LT reps or they'd have signed somebody. It's one thing to wait on Houston when you have a pretty full edge room, if they needed a starting tackle they'd be all over it IMO.

I actually think it may go the other way--the fact that they haven't made a move yet indicates that they think he'll still be ok for week 1. I could definitely be wrong though.

#13 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:34 PM

As a fan , I don't feel any entitlement that they need to tell me about Stanley's injury. I'm sure they have a pretty good idea of when he will likely be ready and will plan accordingly. If they thought he was out till week 7 I imagine AV would be getting all the LT reps or they'd have signed somebody. It's one thing to wait on Houston when you have a pretty full edge room, if they needed a starting tackle they'd be all over it IMO.

I actually think it may go the other way--the fact that they haven't made a move yet indicates that they think he'll still be ok for week 1. I could definitely be wrong though.

If you're paying outrageous amounts of money to go to M&T to watch the Ravens play, I do think you're entitled to know what's going on. 

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:37 PM

If you're paying outrageous amounts of money to go to M&T to watch the Ravens play, I do think you're entitled to know what's going on. 

I do pay money to go watch the Ravens, but I do not expect to be given any details about Stanley's injury.  The Ravens can only talk in generalities about his injury.  They can not give out any details..  That said, the fact that we have heard next to nothing, is concerning.

@mikeghg

#15 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 03:05 PM

Hope you’re not a basketball fan. Imagine dropping outrageous money when the Lakers come to town only to have LeBron take a “load management” day.

But no, the amount of information they feed us about injuries is just fine, and probably really done only for sports gambling purposes. I’m not sure how much more they really need to tell us. It’s hard to put a timetable on these things because different peoples body’s react differently. Carson Wentz is out 5 to 12 weeks. What the hell kinda timetable is that? They don’t know for sure is why. Tom Brady was listed as questionable for like 17 years cause that’s Belichick way of having fun.

When Stanley shows up for his conditioning test, they’ll let us know. If he’s not practicing the first week of September it’s a safe bet he isn’t starting week 1. By then, cuts will have been made around the league and the Ravens will have a larger pool of players to address the problem with if they haven’t already.
@BSLMikeRandall

#16 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 03:25 PM

I do pay money to go watch the Ravens, but I do not expect to be given any details about Stanley's injury.  The Ravens can only talk in generalities about his injury.  They can not give out any details..  That said, the fact that we have heard next to nothing, is concerning.

That's what irritates me.  The fact that you don't hear anything.  Like it's a big mystery to everyone, including the team.  What damage does it do to let fans know about injuries?  During the season, I can see the sensitivity of it because they don't want the opposition to prepare accordingly but in August?  I just think it's ridiculous.  They know exactly what's going on with Stanley and every other injury. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. 

#17 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 04:30 PM

That's what irritates me. The fact that you don't hear anything. Like it's a big mystery to everyone, including the team. What damage does it do to let fans know about injuries? During the season, I can see the sensitivity of it because they don't want the opposition to prepare accordingly but in August? I just think it's ridiculous. They know exactly what's going on with Stanley and every other injury. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

They let you know about injuries. What specifically do you want to hear?
@BSLMikeRandall

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 August 2021 - 05:55 PM

At the end of the day, it's a product that we fans invest in. It'd be nice to know how long a great player is going to be out. But then there's the gamesmanship of it all... sucks, but I get it.

#19 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 06:44 PM

At the end of the day, it's a product that we fans invest in. It'd be nice to know how long a great player is going to be out. But then there's the gamesmanship of it all... sucks, but I get it.

I don’t think it’s that simple. They can give an estimation like “week 1”. But that’s a month away. In this specific situation, needing daily updates is like needing updates 3 weeks into a 6-8 week injury. Basically, I think given the “week 1” estimate, if he hasn’t been seen by Sept.1, then questions need to be asked. If they sign a significant FA tackle at any point, the question needs to be asked if there has been a setback in his recovery. I don’t think they’re hiding anything. I think there just isn’t anything to share regarding Stanley at this point.

They are pretty upfront about the other injuries. Everything they said regarding Bateman, Hollywood, Boykin’s absences, has been right on, and they are back out there. I also realized we were scared by the Perriman situation. Being told day-to-day for 4 months. We aren’t there thank god.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#20 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:00 PM

During the season, it's the usual nonsense of "we don't think it's too serious", "it's day to day", or in a lot of cases, Harbs just flat out refusing to talk about them.  Like I said, I get the whole gamesmanship aspect of it but when he's saying he doesn't know because only the doctors do, is just absurd.  Of course he knows what's going on to the most minute detail. He's the head coach.  I get it that some people have to play their silly games but for whatever reason, it does annoy me.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=