Photo

NBA 2021-22 General Talk (Golden State Wins Championship)

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#81 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 November 2021 - 02:32 PM

Sorry, didnt mean it like that. Some tag Lebron as the GOAT.

I dont agree with that. I hope that doesn't make me a hater.

Im sure Kareem wasn't perfect either. I was younger watching him play, and it was a different ERA. We didnt have cable or social media, or the coverage that exists today.

Well he's certainly in the conversation for the GOAT. As is Kareem. As is MJ of course. 

None of them are close to perfect of course. I do have a ton of respect for Kareem as a person, though based on what I know of him.

#82 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 02:48 PM

Well he's certainly in the conversation for the GOAT. As is Kareem. As is MJ of course. 

None of them are close to perfect of course. I do have a ton of respect for Kareem as a person, though based on what I know of him.

You are right, he is worthy to be in the discussion for GOAT.  

Wilt, Oscar, Bill Russell, and some would put Bird in that group. 

Then, you can show in Shaq, Kobe, MJ and Lebron.

As with Baseball, I was told by Drungo, you cant compare like players from one ERA to another as the game is different. and evolves.

You could argue this to we are blue in the face, and every poster here, would have a different top 10.

Doesn't any of us wrong, or right, its all perspective, and sometimes, on who you grew up worshiping.

#83 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 03:00 PM

You are right, he is worthy to be in the discussion for GOAT.

Wilt, Oscar, Bill Russell, and some would put Bird in that group.

Then, you can show in Shaq, Kobe, MJ and Lebron.

As with Baseball, I was told by Drungo, you cant compare like players from one ERA to another as the game is different. and evolves.
You could argue this to we are blue in the face, and every poster here, would have a different top 10.

Doesn't any of us wrong, or right, its all perspective, and sometimes, on who you grew up worshiping.

Is the first list of players your top 3 or 4 or are you simply dividing them by time period?

#84 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 November 2021 - 03:06 PM

A few thoughts...sorry if this is rambling.

I don't disagree with much of what you said there. I don't believe that it's on LeBron to be solely responsible for spearheading social justice movements around the globe. It does bother me when someone of his stature seems unwilling to simply say, "you know, what's happening over there is wrong." He kow-towed to the Chinese government when Morey made that tweet about Hong Kong a couple years ago, and he seems to be doing it again with Kanter. It's just disappointing that he won't even speak to it, and we all know it's strictly about money.

I'm aware there are individuals here in the US that are calling him out over this simply as a means to deflect attention from the need for social justice here. That's not my motive at all, and I don't think Kanter is in that group either. And yes, as consumers, we pretty much all have some blood on our hands without even realizing it. But I think someone like LeBron is in a better position to bring more awareness to the issue than you or I, or even Enes Kanter, just with a couple sentences.

#85 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 03:16 PM

Yes, it's about money. Not just LeBron's though. It's about the money for the league and the corporation he's partnered with. It's hard to be consistently moral in our capitalistic society. I do think he'd be more effective talking to and pressuring Nike behind the scenes then he would by speaking publicly on it. We love to talk about spreading awareness, and that is good, but on some things, the awareness is already high and not much is changing. Spreading awareness about the issue he's been most vocal about has seen quite the backlash this year as well. So on something where awareness is already high, and Kanter is helping with that, actions speak louder than words. I recall a great man had that as his message board signature lol.

And yeah, I don't think that's your motive or Kanter's, but that's exactly the effect it has.

#86 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 November 2021 - 03:39 PM

Yes, it's about money. Not just LeBron's though. It's about the money for the league and the corporation he's partnered with. It's hard to be consistently moral in our capitalistic society. I do think he'd be more effective talking to and pressuring Nike behind the scenes then he would by speaking publicly on it. We love to talk about spreading awareness, and that is good, but on some things, the awareness is already high and not much is changing. Spreading awareness about the issue he's been most vocal about has seen quite the backlash this year as well. So on something where awareness is already high, and Kanter is helping with that, actions speak louder than words. I recall a great man had that as his message board signature lol.

And yeah, I don't think that's your motive or Kanter's, but that's exactly the effect it has.

It's a complicated thing, and there's really two sides at play. On one side you have companies like Nike making enormous profits off forced/slave labor over there. On the other side you have the NBA that's making millions of its own revenues via the growing class of Chinese consumers. Then I guess you have the third side, which is the Chinese government, who will turn off both faucets if you simply speak the truth.

Crazy that simply by making that post I probably got BSL censored in China. Sorry, Chris.

#87 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 03:50 PM

It's a complicated thing, and there's really two sides at play. On one side you have companies like Nike making enormous profits off forced/slave labor over there. On the other side you have the NBA that's making millions of its own revenues via the growing class of Chinese consumers. Then I guess you have the third side, which is the Chinese government, who will turn off both faucets if you simply speak the truth.

Crazy that simply by making that post I probably got BSL censored in China. Sorry, Chris.

Yep. Even if LeBron pressures Nike and/or the NBA, then what? Nike pressures China? The NBA pressures China? As you say, that is unlikely to work. And in terms of Nike, lets say they pay Chinese workers a lot better or leave China all together and pay workers elsewhere a lot better, Ok, how does that work out for them? Are Americans and other people of the world going to be cool with paying that markup? 

#88 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 November 2021 - 04:30 PM

Close. The GOAT got a game, and Stewart got 2. It's nice to be great sometimes I guess, lol.

James, IMO clearly did it on purpose.  Shocking the NBA is protecting the King.

@mikeghg

#89 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 11:28 PM

Bill Russell had a bigger impact on the NBA than any other player. Jordan made it an international brand, but Russell legitimized it.

Or not.

#90 BSLJalonDixon

BSLJalonDixon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 07:19 PM

BSL: 1 Thing All 30 NBA Teams Are Thankful For (Eastern Conference)
https://baltimorespo...erence-edition/

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeLowe like this
@jalonsworld

#91 BSLJalonDixon

BSLJalonDixon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 10:38 AM

Western Conference:
https://baltimorespo...erence-edition/

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeLowe like this
@jalonsworld

#92 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 25 November 2021 - 06:29 PM

Bill Russell is maybe the most overrated player in professional sports history.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#93 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 10:10 AM

CBS Sports: NBA Power Rankings: Suns keep winning, can't unseat Warriors; Lakers continue to fall; Wolves make big leap

https://www.cbssport...-make-big-leap/

#94 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:46 AM

King James has been showing his bad side lately.

He had the refs eject 2 ticket holders for foul language, and yet the mics clearly pick James up, using the f bomb and pointing to those 2. SMH

At another game, he ask for fans to be be removed for crotch grabbing, guess, its okay for the King to do it himself.

I was not and am not a hater. I can not condone stupid behavior, is not something that I can respect. I will respect his god given skills, which are great.

but, he cant be my GOAT, asking like this.

#95 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 10:16 AM

He had the refs eject 2 ticket holders for foul language, and yet the mics clearly pick James up, using the f bomb and pointing to those 2. SMH

At another game, he ask for fans to be be removed for crotch grabbing, guess, its okay for the King to do it himself.

I was not and am not a hater. I can not condone stupid behavior, is not something that I can respect. I will respect his god given skills, which are great.

Hes a goof. Everyone knows hes a goof.

#96 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 November 2021 - 10:21 AM

MJ was definitely a perfect human being, teammate, friend etc.

#97 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:11 PM

Hes a goof. Everyone knows hes a goof.

goof? 

thats one way to describe him. :)

#98 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 03:21 PM

"I hope Bronny gets into a car accident tomorrow and dies"

That cool fan behavior to you?

#99 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 03:25 PM

Speaking of GOATs,I think there's a pretty good chance that in about 15 years, many of us will look back at right now and think half of the 10 best ever played now. Four of the top 10 is extremely likely.

#100 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 03:46 PM

Speaking of GOATs,I think there's a pretty good chance that in about 15 years, many of us will look back at right now and think half of the 10 best ever played now. Four of the top 10 is extremely likely.

James, Durant, Giannis, Curry?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=