Photo

NBA 2021-22 General Talk (Golden State Wins Championship)

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#61 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 10:23 AM

LeBron James bloodies Detroit Pistons' Isaiah Stewart with hit to face as both ejected after ensuing tussle (espn.com)

Pretty crazy situation. Not a clean play from LeBron, but I highly doubt it was intentional either, that's just standard tussle type of stuff in the paint, I highly doubt he thought it'd catch him at all like that.

Dirtiest player in the game. Ric Flair aint got nothing on him.

#62 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 November 2021 - 11:02 AM

LOL

#63 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 11:19 AM

Seriously though, he knew what he was doing. He may not have been trying to slice the guy up but he obviously threw the elbow with intent. At the same time, if Stewart really wanted some he could have got some immediately. Acting like he wanted that smoke after everyone was holding him back was cute.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Old Man like this

#64 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 November 2021 - 11:21 AM

Seriously though, he knew what he was doing. He may not have been trying to slice the guy up but he obviously threw the elbow with intent. At the same time though if Stewart wanted some he could have got some immediatedly. Acting like he wanted that smoke after everyone was holding him back was cute.

Agreed. My only thought there was, based on the cut, maybe he just wasn't all there for the first few seconds lol. But I agree.

#65 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 11:52 AM

Seriously though, he knew what he was doing. He may not have been trying to slice the guy up but he obviously threw the elbow with intent. At the same time, if Stewart really wanted some he could have got some immediately. Acting like he wanted that smoke after everyone was holding him back was cute.

Cheap shot for sure, doubt he wanted blood, but he doesnt mind throwing elbows when others are near, this isn't his first.

I could be wrong, but the one replay, looked like his fist landed a blow to the dude's face, after the elbow made contact.

Disappointing when you see somebody of his future HOF statue, lower their game play to thug status.

#66 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 November 2021 - 02:44 PM

They were debating whether LBJ should get suspended on NBA TV this morning.

I think both should get 2 games.  James for definitely throwing the elbow than the fist, in the same motion.

Stewart had a right to be pissed, but he went way to far.  IMO, he gets 2 games also.

• Old Man likes this
@mikeghg

#67 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 02:52 PM

I think both should get 2 games.  James for definitely throwing the elbow than the fist, in the same motion.

Stewart had a right to be pissed, but he went way to far.  IMO, he gets 2 games also.

Disappointing that the sports media clowns are wanting more punishment for Stewart, than Lebron.

I think they both deserve multiple game suspensions.

#68 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 November 2021 - 06:56 PM

Close. The GOAT got a game, and Stewart got 2. It's nice to be great sometimes I guess, lol.

#69 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:05 PM

Close. The GOAT got a game, and Stewart got 2. It's nice to be great sometimes I guess, lol.

Now we know damn well why you decided to use "GOAT" and Im here to tell you it failed.

#70 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:20 PM

Acting like he wanted that smoke after everyone was holding him back was cute.

It's just your typical NBA scuffle. No player wants to risk their health by having someone go Kermit Washington on them, so they make sure there are several guys between them before they start to "fight."

#71 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:26 PM

If you want to lob a legitimate shot at LBJ, go the Enes Kanter route and point out how his fight for social justice apparently ends at the US border (or more to the point, ends at his wallet).

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#72 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:27 PM

If you want to lob a legitimate shot at LBJ, go the Enes Kanter route and point out how his fight for social justice apparently ends at the US border (or more to the point, ends at his wallet).

All shots at him are welcome by me. Legit or not. 😁
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#73 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 12:04 AM

I mean, Kanter has a point, but for an African American from Akron, what he stands for makes a lot of sense.

If you want to go all in on Kanter's view, you best have a certain economic perspective, one that the vast majority of LeBron haters don't have.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#74 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 07:26 AM

I mean, Kanter has a point, but for an African American from Akron, what he stands for makes a lot of sense.

If you want to go all in on Kanter's view, you best have a certain economic perspective, one that the vast majority of LeBron haters don't have.

If we think that was a cheap shot, and accidental or not, it was beyond fragrant? Does that make us a hater????????

Fist to the face after the elbow, isnt incidental contact.

Personally, my own opinion, I dont hate the dude, just dont hold him in high esteem and worship the ground he walks on. To me, enough other plays in NBA history, that carried themselves better, on and off the court.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#75 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 09:38 AM

If we think that was a cheap shot, and accidental or not, it was beyond fragrant? Does that make us a hater????????

Personally, my own opinion, I dont hate the dude, just dont hold him in high esteem and worship the ground he walks on. To me, enough other plays in NBA history, that carried themselves better, on and off the court.

#76 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 11:46 AM

I think at this point in his life he’s had more than enough opportunity to gain perspective beyond the streets of Akron. It’s great he’s done all those things for his community. That he’s apparently fine with the source of some of that money coming via a country that oppresses minorities just like the US has is on him. In fairness, plenty of other people are getting rich off China too. But I don’t fault Kanter for wanting to point out the irony there.

• You Play to Win the Game and BaltBird 24 like this

#77 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:30 PM

Was never a big Larry Bird fan.

I think Kareem gets a ton of credit for being one of the best. MJ is no question, either.

Unseld was a guy, I always respected, how he carried himself on and off the court. Probably one of the best defensive centers to play the game, and since he didnt score points, he is often overlooked.

#78 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 01:30 PM

I didn't say or imply that makes you a hater.

Your last line makes me skeptical of your position, though.

#79 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 02:10 PM

I didn't say or imply that makes you a hater.

Your last line makes me skeptical of your position, though.

Sorry, didnt mean it like that. Some tag Lebron as the GOAT.

I dont agree with that. I hope that doesn't make me a hater.

Im sure Kareem wasn't perfect either. I was younger watching him play, and it was a different ERA. We didnt have cable or social media, or the coverage that exists today.

#80 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 02:30 PM

I think at this point in his life he’s had more than enough opportunity to gain perspective beyond the streets of Akron. It’s great he’s done all those things for his community. That he’s apparently fine with the source of some of that money coming via a country that oppresses minorities just like the US has is on him. In fairness, plenty of other people are getting rich off China too. But I don’t fault Kanter for wanting to point out the irony there.

A few thoughts...sorry if this is rambling

I mean sure, he's had the opportunity to. I'm just saying that's hasn't been something that's been front and center for him like the oppression of minorities here has been. That unfortunately could not have been missed or ignored by him. Meanwhile plenty of other Americans have a great deal of willful ignorance on the oppression of minorities here and are often complicit in it. So LeBron is being held to a much higher standard here than most Americans are on that. 

But as I said, Kanter does have a point. If one wants to criticize LeBron, the opportunity is there because he could be doing better.

I also stand by the rest of what I said though. You're pointing to a hypocrisy based on your expectation of his knowledge of China; however, my point is that the vast majority of LeBron haters would be extremely hypocritical to hold him to this standard because they don't hold themselves to this standard. 

Very few Americans in general do. I know I'm far from perfect in terms of making sure I don't make or spend any money on stuff that is ethically compromised in some way or just flat out wrong. That's capitalism. And just because I'm not 100% ethical in this way (or close to it) doesn't mean I should just give up on some of my core beliefs and go all in on valuing money over what's right. Same with LeBron. Same with Nike. They can unethically make money (in a way that is unfortunately standard in our capitalistic society), and they can stand for social justice and help out the less fortunate in their own country. Ideally they would be on the right side in all ways.

Maybe Kanter is? Probably not, though. I mean where does he make his money from, again?

I applaud Kanter for what he believes in and for taking action. I wish he didn't do this part of it in such an antagonistic way though, a way that is more likely to play into the hands of people that don't really care about human rights or worse, are actively opposed to them, than it is to actually help imo. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=