#41 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 June 2024 - 01:49 PM

Norby is batting 9th and playing second base, tonight.

@mikeghg

#42 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,969 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 June 2024 - 05:24 PM

I'm happy for him.... but even with Holliday going 2 for his last 23, Holliday still has a higher OPS (.923, 159 abs) than Norby (.884, 206 abs).

Guess the most important thing here is that Norby has been better lately, and again Holliday has been struggling lately.

Also, presumably, the O's are still working with Holliday on whatever mechanical change they wanted.

Holliday is hitting .364 (12-33) with a 1.154 OPS over his last 10 games, 4 doubles 2 HR 8 BB 12 K.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,579 posts

Posted 03 June 2024 - 06:09 PM

Holliday is hitting .364 (12-33) with a 1.154 OPS over his last 10 games, 4 doubles 2 HR 8 BB 12 K.

Hmm that's good! Should have looked at his box scores...was just looking at MILB showing his last 10.

Given that, I would have rather promoted him.

#44 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,686 posts

Posted 03 June 2024 - 11:11 PM

Norby deserved to get a look. I thought they might go with Maton actually. So lets see what he can do with the time he gets. The advanced stats and metrics dont love him but we will see what happens. Agree he is kind of like Stowers. 

• mdrunning likes this

#45 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,872 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 June 2024 - 07:13 AM

Hmm that's good! Should have looked at his box scores...was just looking at MILB showing his last 10.

Given that, I would have rather promoted him.

There's something wonky going on with his stats on the milb page....

https://www.milb.com...g-mlb&year=2024

In his last 7 games it shows these poor results of 2 for 23, but when you look at his game logs you get the numbers Bob was mentioning.

#46 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 04 June 2024 - 08:29 AM

There's something wonky going on with his stats on the milb page....

https://www.milb.com...g-mlb&year=2024

In his last 7 games it shows these poor results of 2 for 23, but when you look at his game logs you get the numbers Bob was mentioning.

Because it’s showing his last 7 ML games.
  • BobPhelan, Mike B and DuffMan like this

#47 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,541 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 June 2024 - 04:47 PM

Sent down with the recall of Jorge Mateo.

#48 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,789 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 June 2024 - 05:00 PM

Not surprising, particularly with Urias hitting somewhat better of late. It would seem to indicate he’s also on the Stowers Plan, and will get a call up or two per season while he has options, will mostly sit on the bench, then be sent back down without really ever getting a chance to show if he belongs in the major leagues or not.

#49 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,541 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 June 2024 - 05:33 PM

Not surprising, particularly with Urias hitting somewhat better of late. It would seem to indicate he’s also on the Stowers Plan, and will get a call up or two per season while he has options, will mostly sit on the bench, then be sent back down without really ever getting a chance to show if he belongs in the major leagues or not.

Hate this use of potential every day ML players. Use them or move them to fill holes. But stockpiling talent when we have major holes in our roster is well less than ideal.

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,093 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 07:04 PM

Hate this use of potential every day ML players. Use them or move them to fill holes. But stockpiling talent when we have major holes in our roster is well less than ideal.

Any early June trades that have been made which you think we've missed out on?
  • BobPhelan and mdrunning like this

#51 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,638 posts

Posted 11 June 2024 - 08:28 PM

A righthanded infield bat for another righthanded infield bat. Makes sense. 

#52 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,541 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 June 2024 - 08:52 AM

Any early June trades that have been made which you think we've missed out on?

Not sure that's a relevant point. We need bullpen help, probably a starter, and a RH bat.  Just because some player we could have used hasn't been traded doesn't mean that the O's couldn't get that player. Now sure for all I know they have been working behind the scenes to do something.

But if I was a Stowers/Kjerstad/Norby I wouldn't be overly happy to be going out and killing it at AAA to not get a real chance at the show. 

Norby 800 AAA at bats/14 ML at bats 24 years old

Kjerstad 470 AAA at bats/14 ML at bats 25 years old

Stowers 720 AAA at bats/151 at bats spread over 3 seasons  26 years old

How long can management continue to sell these guys on the "be patient your time will come" storyline?

I expect they will do something more into July. And yes some more players may become available as teams figure out they really aren't in the running. So mostly grousing but this isn't a new issue. They have had this stockpile for awhile now. And yes I get things will be a bit different next year. Always next year.....lol.

The problem is I don't see next year making that big of a difference. Mullins is the only guy I think at this point is clearly out. Hays has been hitting well since he returned and he's RH so not sure he is moved. Santander has upped his OPS to .775. Now perhaps he isn't resigned but his switch hitting is a pretty good thing to have and he can carry the team when he gets hot.  And both Mateo and Urias have been fine. Maybe Urias is moved but they are both under contract. Now its a good problem to have but its still a problem.

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,579 posts

Posted 29 June 2024 - 03:11 PM

MASN: Orioles place Norby on taxi squad

https://www.masnspor...y-on-taxi-squad

#54 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members