422 replies to this topic

#381 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 04:58 PM

Cowser has put some work into his approach. Definitely is more comfortable at the plate and is being more aggressive getting his pitch. I've noticed that his hands are slightly higher at the start and it's leading to a quicker swing as a result. 

Most of all he is just oozing confidence right now. He's on a path of an every day player. Hard to keep him out of the lineup right now.

#382 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:24 PM

Cowser slashed .435 / .481 / 1.130 since last Monday (that's a 1.612 OPS) which was good for 10 hits, 2 SB, 4 HR and 12 RBI. 

He should be named the AL Player of the Week tomorrow morning. 

#383 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,131 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:26 PM

I have no idea what anyone else did but I'd be surprised if anyone had a better week. Absolutely on fire.

#384 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:35 PM

I have no idea what anyone else did but I'd be surprised if anyone had a better week. Absolutely on fire.

Yahoo delivers

By the looks of how the past week shaped up, Cowser would win the 'MLB Player of the Week' if that were an award with Pete Alonso coming in second place. 

• Mackus likes this

#385 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,538 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:47 PM

Cant stress enough how big it is for Cowser to get off to this type of start. Hes gonna hit some rough spots and Ill bitch but this gives him confidence and more importantly gives me confidence in him long term
  • You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan and russsnyder like this

#386 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,552 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 April 2024 - 07:07 PM

Cant stress enough how big it is for Cowser to get off to this type of start. Hes gonna hit some rough spots and Ill bitch but this gives him confidence and more importantly gives me confidence in him long term

That definitely is more important 😂
  • TwentyThirtyFive and makoman like this

#387 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,131 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 07:08 PM

Solid chuckle out of "more importantly", nicely done.
  • makoman likes this

#388 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 07:37 PM

Cowser has to be in the conversation for Player of the Month.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#389 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 05:52 PM

Cowser was named Player of the Week.

Much deserved.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#390 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 May 2024 - 09:59 AM

.150/.191/.200 on the current homestand, not really any cause for concern but his insane start had to include some regression at some point so we're getting it now 

#391 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,538 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 03:00 PM

.150/.191/.200 on the current homestand, not really any cause for concern but his insane start had to include some regression at some point so we're getting it now

Hes striking out in 35% of his ABs after today. That would top 5 in all of baseball if he was qualified and he will be qualified very soon. The BA will keep dipping. Not even .277 is sustainable. So the question is going to be will he walk enough and will he do enough damage with the balls he puts in play to still be a decent offensive player. Or you know he cuts way back on the Ks but even if he isnt 35% I think he is still 30%. Very high

#392 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,430 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 03:06 PM

He will be a productive offensive player. 

What's surprising to me (and I'm going to chalk it up to SSS) is that his range (OAA), and arm strength are both currently showing as excellent... I haven't seen that.   I don't think he's a defensive liability, and I could even buy him being a smidge above average.... but I have to think the current defense metrics come back go Earth soon.  

#393 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,538 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 03:15 PM

He will be a productive offensive player.

What's surprising to me (and I'm going to chalk it up to SSS) is that his range (OAA), and arm strength are both currently showing as excellent... I haven't seen that. I don't think he's a defensive liability, and I could even buy him being a smidge above average.... but I have to think the current defense metrics come back go Earth soon.

He strikes out too much to just assume he is gonna be a productive offensive player. Even if he is, he is tracking to be like a.720-750 OPS guy. Like a 105-115 OPS+ guy. Nothing special.

The D I cant comment on. I see in the game thread Mack got on him twice. I missed the game but maybe Ill see the highlights.

He will just never give me the warm and fuzzies. He seems to be too inconsistent all the way around. Highs can be high but the lows will be low. Im trying to think of the last player that made me feel this way. Maybe Hammonds. Santander has done this to me as well in recent years. But Anthony has more pop and most importantly doesnt strike out at the same rate

#394 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,131 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 03:19 PM

Arm strength is easy to see, IMO, it's just not accurate at all, like his throw to home today. I think his range has been good but I don't get to watch nearly as much as I'd like.

I think he'll settle in as something like 255/360/450. Low 800s OPS with nice OBP to support. Huge K numbers will remain, but think the other tools will easily carry the overall bat.

#395 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,430 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 03:23 PM

Arm strength is easy to see, IMO, it's just not accurate at all, like his throw to home today. I think his range has been good but I don't get to watch nearly as much as I'd like.

I think he'll settle in as something like 255/360/450. Low 800s OPS with nice OBP to support. Huge K numbers will remain, but think the other tools will easily carry the overall bat.

Yeah, I should have clarified.  Do see he has arm strength... haven't seen accuracy yet. 

Range has been fine. Maybe even above average.  The surprise is seeing him currently rank as having excellent range. 

#396 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,538 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 03:24 PM

No way he will walk at the rate to have a split of .255/.370 avg/OBP. .450 slug is doable but Im still leery

.250/.330/.430 if we are lucky. Put the ball in play more and I could readjust to being an .800 OPS guy. As it stands now I dont think there is any real chance over a full season.

#397 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,131 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 03:27 PM

He did in AAA. 280 BA with 400 OBP and 500 SLG. Don't expect him to match any of those at MLB, but general profile just backed off a bit across the board seems obtainable.

I'll be pretty surprised if he's just a low 700s bat.

#398 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,538 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 03:31 PM

Low to mid .700s is exactly where he is tracking IMO. 800+ possible but so is sub .700.

#399 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 03 May 2024 - 09:31 AM

Low to mid .700s is exactly where he is tracking IMO. 800+ possible but so is sub .700.

He’s been able to cut his K’s down before. I think it’s a matter of experience. I think the K’s eventually dip under 30%. The closer they get to 25%, which I think is possible, the closer he gets to impact offensive player.

#400 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 03 May 2024 - 09:58 AM

AL rookie of the month.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=