#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:43 AM

Get Jones up here and Diaz soon as the service time clock favors it.

#3 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:57 AM

Get Jones up here and Diaz soon as the service time clock favors it.

I think we passed that point a few days ago...  I wouldn't expect either of them up any time soon, unless there's an injury.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:38 AM

I think we passed that point a few days ago... 

Yes.

A player who is on an optional assignment like Diaz is will get credit for a full year of service if that option lasts for less than 20 days.  Season began on April 1st, so already 21 days have passed.

A player who accrues 172 days will get credit for an entire season.  The season ends October 3rd, so there are 186 actual calendar days this season.  So a guy who wasn't on a optional assignment but was then called up (i.e. any minor leaguer not yet on the 40-man roster) would needed to have waited until after 15 days have passed, so there are only 171 days left, in order to avoid accruing a full year of service.

Diaz (and anyone else who hasn't yet spent any time in the majors) can now be called up for the remainder of the season and he won't reach a full service year.

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:08 AM

They arent playing games with a guy like Diaz. He'll be here when they think he's ready.

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:12 AM

Just saw that Ryan Ripken is at the alternate site and has 9 ABs in 3 games against the Nats. So he is getting PT. Are the Os planning to pull a PR stunt and have him play in Baltimore at some point this year. It seems that way to me.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:28 AM

They arent playing games with a guy like Diaz. He'll be here when they think he's ready.

They played games with Akin last year and Diaz is basically unanimously considered a better prospect.

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:29 AM

Yes.

A player who is on an optional assignment like Diaz is will get credit for a full year of service if that option lasts for less than 20 days.  Season began on April 1st, so already 21 days have passed.

A player who accrues 172 days will get credit for an entire season.  The season ends October 3rd, so there are 186 actual calendar days this season.  So a guy who wasn't on a optional assignment but was then called up (i.e. any minor leaguer not yet on the 40-man roster) would needed to have waited until after 15 days have passed, so there are only 171 days left, in order to avoid accruing a full year of service.

Diaz (and anyone else who hasn't yet spent any time in the majors) can now be called up for the remainder of the season and he won't reach a full service year.

I think we will begin to see teams call prospects up, after the weekend.  Teams seem to like to create a cushion between the actual number and the call up date.

@mikeghg

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:31 AM

I think they are playing the numbers game on all the prospects.  This team does everything based on their numbers.

@mikeghg

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:32 AM

They played games with Akin last year and Diaz is basically unanimously considered a better prospect.

No question in my mind.  They will deny it, but I think they are maximizing service time on anyone they think can contribute long term.

@mikeghg

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:45 AM

I'm 100% in agreement with securing the extra year of service. There is no argument that the first 3 weeks for a rookie are more beneficial to the organization than control of all of their 7th season.

I am not down with manipulating time for Super 2 reasons.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Old Man like this

#12 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 12:11 PM

To be clear, I think they would've held Diaz down to start the year if he was deserving of a roster spot or they thought he was ready. Im saying they arent playing games from this point forward. If he earns a promotion he'll get the call. For what its worth I dont think he earned a spot in ST anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=