Photo

College Basketball 2021-22: General Talk (Kansas Wins National Title)

• Please log in to reply
833 replies to this topic

#21 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 12:28 PM

BREAKING: Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski has decided to retire after this coming season, multiple sources told
@stadium. Official announcement expected soon. The leading candidate to replace K is assistant and former Duke player Jon Scheyer.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 12:42 PM

Certainly won't pretend to be a fan, but can't take away what he has accomplished. 

He's got a great argument for being on the Mount Rushmore of Coaches for all sports. 

#23 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 June 2021 - 09:01 PM

BREAKING: Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski has decided to retire after this coming season, multiple sources told
@stadium. Official announcement expected soon. The leading candidate to replace K is assistant and former Duke player Jon Scheyer.

I don’t like the guy, but what a career.  That is as close to saying something nice about him as I can get

@mikeghg

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,942 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 09:26 AM

What a publicity whore.  When's the last time a coach announced his retirement before a season began and then got a goodbye tour?  

Note: any examples that are given I will find a reason to dismiss as not relevant or different in some way, ensuring K is alone in his vanity

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,460 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 June 2021 - 09:27 AM

Right down his alley.

#26 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 June 2021 - 10:58 AM

What a publicity whore.  When's the last time a coach announced his retirement before a season began and then got a goodbye tour?  

Note: any examples that are given I will find a reason to dismiss as not relevant or different in some way, ensuring K is alone in his vanity

He had to give Dukie V, time to get his 3,000 tribute speeches prepared. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#27 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,591 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 03 June 2021 - 04:49 PM

Like many of you, I find Coach K to be a bit insufferable and unlikeable, but when I'm asking myself why, I'm having trouble answering.  He's generally kept a clean program, his continued success over 40 years is undeniable, and his past players rave about him.

Is there anything specific that you can point to (I guess his farewell tour being an example of his vanity would qualify as one) that makes him unlikeable for you?

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,942 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:16 PM

The record expungement when he had his back surgery is #1.

The way he flipped out when players finally had the audacity to leave early for the pros.  He accepted Elton Brand doing it but melted down like a toddler when William Avery and Corey Maggette followed suit, allegedly even flipping out on Avery's mother.

Less specifically...every interact he has with the refs.  Just seems so entitled.

• CantonJester and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,184 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:37 PM

#30 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,591 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 03 June 2021 - 07:20 PM

The record expungement when he had his back surgery is #1.

The way he flipped out when players finally had the audacity to leave early for the pros.  He accepted Elton Brand doing it but melted down like a toddler when William Avery and Corey Maggette followed suit, allegedly even flipping out on Avery's mother.

Less specifically...every interact he has with the refs.  Just seems so entitled.

I'm trying to pinpoint what about his interaction with refs makes him come off as entitled/unlikeable.  Every coach berates refs like it's their job.  I don't think he necessarily does it more frequently than other coaches, yet I look at him yelling at coaches and it somehow seems worse.

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 07:37 PM

I'm trying to pinpoint what about his interaction with refs makes him come off as entitled/unlikeable.  Every coach berates refs like it's their job.  I don't think he necessarily does it more frequently than other coaches, yet I look at him yelling at coaches and it somehow seems worse.

I respect him plenty for what he accomplished. He's one of the best coaches (at-least most accomplished) of any sport.  He maintained excellence and dominance for decades.  That can't just easily be dismissed. 

Some (most) of the things I dislike about him, are tied to the fact that he / Duke was great, and they were who MD was chasing all those years in the ACC.  So, jealousy. 

There are some minimal pissy things I could point to, but whatever. Doesn't matter. 

I cheered for him when he was the HC of Team USA.  

Maybe Jon Scheyer ends up being great... but I think Duke replacing K with a first time Head Coach is kind of silly.  Felt the same with Davis and Carolina... but Davis did have a longer history on UNC's bench, and he's 51, while Scheyer is 33.   Feel like that life experience matters.  Of course you can argue Scheyer is that much closer to the current college kids, and might identify with them more. So, I get that. 

What's crazy about K's run at Duke, is that he could have been fired after his 3rd year ('82-'83)...  they had gone to the Final Four in '78... were Top 3 AP in '79-'80.   Wasn't like they hadn't had any success.  He had losing records his first 3 seasons, going 11-17, 3-11 in that 3rd year...    3 years later they won 37 games, and were the National Runner-up. 

Last comment... best Duke team I think there ever was, was the '98-'99 team which lost in the Title game. Murdered a very good MD team twice. 

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 07:54 PM

CBS Sports: With Coach K's retirement, John Calipari can become the face of the sport and dominate recruiting again

https://www.cbssport...cruiting-again/

Article also mentioned Scheyer's recruiting success... so that definitely matters. 

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:57 PM

I think it's actually a glowing example of magnanimousness on his part. Now all the teams on dook's road schedule have plenty of time to come up with elaborate ceremonies and wonderful gifts to shower upon him when he passes through his feifdom one final time. Would have been brutal if he only gave them a few days notice to put all that together. And MD must really be regretting their move to the Big Ten now, and missing out on this celebration!

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:02 AM

Madison.com: Wisconsin men’s basketball seniors confronted Greg Gard in secretly recorded meeting. Here’s what they said

https://madison.com/...107e776e15.html

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 06:53 AM

CBS Sports: A resurgence ahead for Kentucky, Duke and Indiana? Five teams poised to bounce back in 2021-22

https://www.cbssport...ack-in-2021-22/

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 11:46 AM

CBS Sports: College basketball rankings: Duane Washington's decision to stay in NBA Draft hits Ohio State hard

https://www.cbssport...hio-state-hard/

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:48 AM

CBS Sports: College basketball rankings: Ohio State lands All-Sun Belt transfer Cedric Russell, jumps up in Top 25 And 1

https://www.cbssport...n-top-25-and-1/

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 17 July 2021 - 06:56 AM

CBS Sports: Ranking college basketball's top 2021 transfers: Texas Tech lands Oral Roberts transfer Kevin Obanor

https://www.cbssport...r-kevin-obanor/

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 08:54 AM

CBS Sports: College basketball rankings: Memphis surges into Top 25 And 1 after landing Jalen Duren commitment
https://www.cbssport...ren-commitment/

#40 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 06:38 PM

I think the elephant in the room with Mike Krzyzewski is he has arguably the most punchable face in the past hundred years of sports. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=