• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 01:40 PM

Orioles are among teams considering Maikel Franco. There are others though.

#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 March 2021 - 01:54 PM

...for what?

That sounds like an agent trying to generate interest.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#3 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 02:00 PM

Because Ruiz is not good.

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 March 2021 - 02:58 PM

Definitely would prefer him to Ruiz

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,356 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:17 PM

Ruiz and Franco have identical career OPS numbers. I know nothing of Franco's defense but seems a pointless target to me.

#6 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 06 March 2021 - 08:25 PM

I would love for them to bring him in on a minor league deal. Ruiz needs to fight for his job and while I love Bannon, he isn't a full-time major league 3B (2B I'll give him a shot but arm isn't ideal for 3B) and isn't going to give Ruiz a run. 

@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#7 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 09:03 PM

Quick look at his BBRef page, he doesn't seem to strikeout very much, only struck out more than 100 times once (106). His OBP isn't gonna blow you away, so he doesn't walk much either. So he must put the ball in play a lot. I'll take that. Options open up when you simply put the ball in play, even if it results in an out. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:17 AM

I mean there is still a tad bit of upside with Franco. Former top prospect who is only 28. Still in his prime. Its certainly possible he makes a jump and is an .800+ OPS guy. Potential trade bait at the deadline. Maybe they could even get a team option for '22. Oh and Rio who hasnt come close to establishing any kind of a big league resume is only 2 years younger.
  • SBTarheel likes this

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:24 AM

Ruiz and Franco have identical career OPS numbers. I know nothing of Franco's defense but seems a pointless target to me.

Not true.

Franco has a career OPS of .737 and 94 OPS+. Ruiz is .667 and 77 OPS+.

#10 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:13 AM

Absolutely in favor of this if it happens. Rio seems like a great guy, but Franco's the better player. 

• sandiegosean likes this
@beginthebegin71

#11 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:35 AM

Are we not going to even consider the clear advantage Ruiz has in the "cool hair" department?

#12 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:20 AM

Are we not going to even consider the clear advantage Ruiz has in the "cool hair" department?

He buzzed it. And therefore, he blew it.

#13 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:11 AM

I mean there is still a tad bit of upside with Franco. Former top prospect who is only 28. Still in his prime. Its certainly possible he makes a jump and is an .800+ OPS guy. Potential trade bait at the deadline. Maybe they could even get a team option for '22. Oh and Rio who hasnt come close to establishing any kind of a big league resume is only 2 years younger.

I don't know what you think the Orioles get out of it.

Upside to do what?  Compete?  I don't have any specific issue with Franco, if you needed a guy to fill a role on the team and were trying to do something, OK, much the way you could use someone like Iglesias or even Galvis or Sanchez...you just don't need a bunch of them.

Franco is a FA next year (if he gets any service this year) and Ruiz will be ARB1 next year, so it's likely neither would be on the team regardless, but if you think there's something in there with Ruiz, then he'd actually have more value based on reasonable control.

Elias wants to prove he was right about Ruiz.  Ruiz was his most significant draft play in 2012.  He was Coby Mayo then.  He's the 'save slot at the top' and over-pay for a guy down the list guy.

It's the 7th of March.  Spring Training has been going on for weeks now, we're playing games.  Franco likely has several minor league deals on the table and his agent needs to show some competition to get his client a guaranteed ML deal.  You call a team that would have apparent need and money (Orioles) to create a baseline to leverage against another team (Nationals? Braves? Rockies?) to try and build a deal for your client.  You call the Orioles and they give a nothing answer and then you frame that as 'talking to the Orioles' and release it through a clown like Heymon who does agents bidding for access.

Nothing to see here.  Orioles are just being used as a tool.

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:28 AM

I dont give a damn if its a tactic or not. I dont care if we sign him or not. But if we get a 28 yr old with above avg offensive upside to play 3b for the year instead of the AAAA 26yr old Ruiz thats fine by me. I also think Elias doesn't give a damn about Ruiz either. He knows hes a AAAA guy and knows he has to upgrade whether its in '21 or '22 or '23, etc

#15 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:24 PM

I also think Elias doesn't give a damn about Ruiz either. He knows hes a AAAA guy and knows he has to upgrade 3n whether its in '21 or '22 or '23, etc

My point is that the Orioles aren't actually 'considering' him.

Agree that Elias knows he has to upgrade 3B eventually, but he does get to run his guy out there as long as needed hoping he turns into what he drafted him to be in 2012.  Much the same way McPhail was committed to Felix Pie.  You just see something in a guy and you believe in what you think you know.

If you think Franco was something, you could certainly lock him into a 3+2 or something with a modest amount of money.

The Orioles aren't committing any money.

• Mike B and russsnyder like this

#16 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,251 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:06 AM

I think dude makes some good points.

The only way I see the Orioles signing Franco is to a minor league deal.

We'll see if his market bottoms out that much.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#17 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:34 AM

...for what?

That sounds like an agent trying to generate interest.

My first instinct was that Heyman was trolling again, to write words, so he can collect a paycheck. Doesn't matter how accurate the information is. :)

• Mike B likes this

#18 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:34 AM

I think dude makes some good points.

The only way I see the Orioles signing Franco is to a minor league deal.

We'll see if his market bottoms out that much.

Dude is right,

But, first off, look at the source of the information. Enough said there. lol

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:36 AM

I think Franco likely finds a better spot to land.  I think he is better than Ruiz.  Ruiz is scheduled to make 573 K, and I think the Orioles will not go over 1 M.  Franco can do better than that somewhere else.

@mikeghg

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:41 AM

My point is that the Orioles aren't actually 'considering' him.

Agree that Elias knows he has to upgrade 3B eventually, but he does get to run his guy out there as long as needed hoping he turns into what he drafted him to be in 2012.  Much the same way McPhail was committed to Felix Pie.  You just see something in a guy and you believe in what you think you know.

If you think Franco was something, you could certainly lock him into a 3+2 or something with a modest amount of money.

The Orioles aren't committing any money.

Agreed.  I think the Orioles may address third base next year, but if they do anything this year it will be a waiver claim.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=