@mattymatty2000

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,787 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:04 AM

Not interested in trading Trey. I don't think we get back much of consequence for him unless he has just a bonkers good first half and in that case I still don't want to trade him.
  • Mike B likes this

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,150 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:33 AM

Not interested in trading Trey. I don't think we get back much of consequence for him unless he has just a bonkers good first half and in that case I still don't want to trade him.

FA after '22.  If you don't think he will bring back much of consequence at some point in '21, he doesn't figure to bring back more in '22, right? 

If you want to extend him, what would you want to offer him?

I can be fine with extending him or trading him. 

I think if he looks good this Spring, and based on the reports I expect he will... and he goes and produces over April and May, teams will be willing to trade (and give up something of value) to get him.  

How much he can bring back?  I don't know. 

And ultimately, what do we think the Orioles are going to do here?

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,787 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:22 AM

I'd rather have Trey for this year and next than two more Jahmai Jones types (nothing against Jones).

I'd be happy to extend him.  The money isn't particularly important since the team for the entirety of such a deal will have payroll far below what they can support.  So it's not a question of paying Trey versus paying someone else, IMO.  Right now I guess you'd have to be a bit pragmatic and see exactly how well he bounces back now that he's playing again, so maybe not pursuing an extension in the immediate term.

But even if you don't extend him, unless I'm far off base on his trade value, I would rather keep Trey and let him walk after next year than trade him.  

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,150 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:56 AM

I wouldn't be excited about him walking. 

If the health concerns are alleviated and he's performing, I'll want the Orioles to decide between an extension and trade. 

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 February 2021 - 12:11 PM

I think Trey may be an early test case for what we can expect going forward.  If he returns to form, I think he is a good candidate for a new 3 year deal.  I agree, all things considered, we are not going to get equal value for Trey.  If he has the normal Mancini year and we make  another mediocre trade or worse yet let him walk instead of arbitration, people are not going to be happy.

@mikeghg

#7 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:13 PM

Like most fans, I've pondered Trey's future (in or out of Baltimore). The thing I don't know is, how does the league view him? Around here, he's a likeable player, and a stand out player. But is he a standout player, because the team is otherwise middling to terrible? Or is he a guy that most contending teams would consider as an upgrade to their line up?   

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#8 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:53 PM

Like most fans, I've pondered Trey's future (in or out of Baltimore). The thing I don't know is, how does the league view him? Around here, he's a likeable player, and a stand out player. But is he a standout player, because the team is otherwise middling to terrible? Or is he a guy that most contending teams would consider as an upgrade to their line up?   

His 2019 was a 135 OPS+ which was 15th in the AL and 25th in baseball so I think he would've been a starter for everyone besides probably the Dodgers and one or two other super stacked lineups that year

• weird-O likes this

she/her

#9 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:27 PM

Orioles crystal ball of depression:

2021 trade deadline - Mancini traded for a couple random "prospects".

2022 spring - Davis looking to bounce at spring training this year.

#10 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,265 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:35 PM

Interesting topic to discuss, but like all these topics, its really just something to guess at because none of us ever know what trade options are ever real. So we have to make assumptions (even those based upon actual trades that may be similar) and no matter how good those assumptions are they are still that.

Unfortunately the only thing that really matters is what ultimately happens in reality. So if a player is signed long term what do we think of the contract? If a player is traded what do we think of the return?

Now will all that rambling, I would much prefer to sign him long term than trade him IF the return are anything we have seen the O's do in the last 5 years because none of the trades we have made did much to enhance the club long term.

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,046 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:22 PM

Orioles crystal ball of depression:

2021 trade deadline - Mancini traded for a couple random "prospects".

2022 spring - Davis looking to bounce at spring training this year.

I dont read many ST articles. Has there been the annual Davis trying to bounce back with a new approach piece yet?

#12 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,200 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:55 PM

I dont read many ST articles. Has there been the annual Davis trying to bounce back with a new approach piece yet?

https://theathletic....-shared-article

Yes, here it is.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#13 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:07 PM

Palmer took a swipe at Davis today on the radio... Immediately launched in to a story about Coleman or someone asking Davis what he's doing to adjust his swing / mechanics, and he basically said he did all he could to not answer it. I'm sure he's done nothing to change anything...

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,046 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:58 PM

Palmer took a swipe at Davis today on the radio... Immediately launched in to a story about Coleman or someone asking Davis what he's doing to adjust his swing / mechanics, and he basically said he did all he could to not answer it. I'm sure he's done nothing to change anything...

Hes just showing up to cash checks. Not even really trying. To be fair, there is nothing that'll make him a ML ballplayer again anyway. Its ultimately on ownership to just release him but I don't know how he can walk around the clubhouse everyday knowing he's literally the worst position player in the league and undeserving of the spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=