#141 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 February 2021 - 06:04 PM

I think what's most impressive, is despite MSU having their runs at times, MD always had an answer and really controlled the entire game. Especially defensively. Forcing MSU to take 49% of their FG's beyond the arc was masterful for a team that shoots 33% from 3 and today 28%. Just a dominant defensive performance with some real alpha moments offensively in key moments.
  • Mike B likes this

#142 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,638 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 February 2021 - 06:12 PM

I think what's most impressive, is despite MSU having their runs at times, MD always had an answer and really controlled the entire game. Especially defensively. Forcing MSU to take 49% of their FG's beyond the arc was masterful for a team that shoots 33% from 3 and today 28%. Just a dominant defensive performance with some real alpha moments offensively in key moments.

Nto only did they answer every run, but different people really stood up.  Scott, Hart, Morsell, Wiggins and Ayala all fired right back, after each MSU spurt.

@mikeghg

#143 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,477 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2021 - 06:16 PM

And they were something like 20/21 in FT. That was huge.

#144 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,599 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 February 2021 - 06:35 PM

I hope you know you’re now expected to post this in every game thread until the end of the year.

I’m here to do whatever I can. I may need a reminder though. Hit me on Twitter!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#145 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,242 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:30 PM

https://twitter.com/...145417201786883

#146 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:25 PM

#26 on Kenpom now but ranked 7th in the conference, in case there was any doubt for the conference's depth

#147 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,638 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:46 AM

#26 on Kenpom now but ranked 7th in the conference, in case there was any doubt for the conference's depth

Amazing how powerful the B10 is and amazing how Maryland has climbed this year.

I had basically decided that Maryland had only a small chance to make the tourney, but this team has defied logic.  I did not think we were going to see any games, that made me get that can't wait feeling.  I had that feeling all week for yesterdays game.  The Terps did not disappoint.  I think the team is still limited in how far it can go, but they have made this season fun.  I am glad to be wrong.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#148 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:25 PM

Terps were 23-24 from the line.  Have they been a good FT team all season, historically I feel like this has been an area where they have underperformed.

• hallas likes this

#149 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,352 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:28 PM

Terps were 23-24 from the line.  Have they been a good FT team all season, historically I feel like this has been an area where they have underperformed.

They've shot 71% from the line this season, so it's an area they've struggled in. They've typically been around the 75% mark the last few years, so not great but not terrible either.

• DuffMan likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#150 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:32 PM

Not as good as they normally are, but not horrid. It helped that 13 of the FTA's were from Ayala yesterday, and he's very solid there. 

• Mike B and DuffMan like this

#151 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,638 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2021 - 12:43 PM

The growth of Ayala has been a key to the turnaround.   Damn, he looked great yesterday.  He was confident and just picked MSU apart.  On top of that, as you said, he was money from the line.

@mikeghg

#152 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:38 PM

They'd have swept Purdue with a better performance at the line, definitely the most annoying of their losses this year

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#153 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:09 PM

The growth of Ayala has been a key to the turnaround.   Damn, he looked great yesterday.  He was confident and just picked MSU apart.  On top of that, as you said, he was money from the line.

Agreed on Ayala.  Feel like he's really learned how to use his size against smaller guards.  He's finding space in the lane and picking up easy post-up buckets.

Don't have much to add on the game yesterday that hasn't been said.  Great win.  Killer analysis, I know.  Feel like they're in the tourney now regardless as I'd said previously....but let's get 1 more win just to be safe.

#154 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:26 PM

Ayala is a good dude. Hung out with him for a few minutes at Looney's last year after the Ohio State game. Couldn't be happier for him to find his confidence like this. He's really stepped up a lot. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=