Photo

2021 NFL General Talk (LA Rams Win SB 56)

• Please log in to reply
1492 replies to this topic

#1461 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,501 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 February 2022 - 11:37 AM

There’s a cautionary tale here. If your front four can get at the QB, you will win a lot of football games, regardless of how much $ you dump on your QB. 

Dumped $$ on your QB who led the league in INT's, and didn't stop throwing them in the playoffs. Pass rush certainly masks a ton of issues.

#1462 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 11:45 AM

While the Rams obviously had no shortage of talent, they feel like one of the weaker champions to me in quite a while. It seems the top end of the league isn't as good as it was in recent memory.

Neither team was particularly good.

#1463 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 11:56 AM

Great game last night. I think the better team won. The halftime show was sweet! What did you all think?

Pretty intriguing game with both quarterbacks hobbling off in the second half. Late game score. Happy that defense was played in the final minute.

Even happier the Rams won after the Bengals stole a TD with an egregious OPI. Happy to see the ticky tack stuff not called. But you gotta call it when a guy gets his head yanked around by the face mask. Was there a holding call on the O-lines all night? Game seemed to move right along, had a great flow.

I liked the halftime show. But I like a few of those performers anyway. Better than many shows I can recall recently. The Bruno Mars performance some years ago might be near the top.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1464 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 12:04 PM

Did you guys see this?

https://www.instagra.../p/CZ9sFOXOE7T/

How Aaron Donald wasn’t the MVP last night is beyond me. That was one of the greatest performances in Super Bowl history.

#1465 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,501 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 February 2022 - 12:06 PM

Did you guys see this?

https://www.instagra.../p/CZ9sFOXOE7T/

How Aaron Donald wasn’t the MVP last night is beyond me. That was one of the greatest performances in Super Bowl history.

I said after that play, Donald and Kupp should be Co-MVP's. They don't win the game without either one of them. 

• JimJohnson likes this

#1466 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 12:29 PM

I dont think Im exaggerating when I say Donald has a very real chance to end up as a top 5 defender of all time. Hes a terror. A true terror.
  • CantonJester likes this

#1467 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:07 PM

I said after that play, Donald and Kupp should be Co-MVP's. They don't win the game without either one of them. 

Eh. The real question to ask is just how many TDs would Stafford have to throw to Kupp if you replaced Aaron Donald with some league average DT. 

Personally, I don’t think it’s close as to just how much more valuable Donald was to the Rams last night. 

#1468 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:09 PM

I dont think Im exaggerating when I say Donald has a very real chance to end up as a top 5 defender of all time. Hes a terror. A true terror.

I think he’s already the greatest DL to ever play the game. I mean, he’s been doing this for what, a decade?

#1469 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,501 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:14 PM

Eh. The real question to ask is just how many TDs would Stafford have to throw to Kupp if you replaced Aaron Donald with some league average DT. 

Personally, I don’t think it’s close as to just how much more valuable Donald was to the Rams last night. 

Then you must have missed the GW TD drive. It's very close. Kupp is great. So is Donald. 

#1470 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:27 PM

Then you must have missed the GW TD drive. It's very close. Kupp is great. So is Donald. 

No, I saw it. Kupp amassed 8 catches for 92 yards and 2 TDs. I mean, this isn’t the hottest take in the world to suggest Donald got jobbed out of the MVP last night. It’s just more of an indictment about how pass-happy the league’s become. 

The difference in the game was the fact Aaron Donald, despite being double and triple-teamed, spent the entire evening in the Bengals backfield reducing the time Burrow had to throw the ball. And if not for his efforts on the last play of the game, the Bengals would’ve won (given Ramsey had fallen on his face). 

#1471 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:40 PM

What’s sorta ironic about the whole thing was if the NFL had followed its own rules re: concussion protocol, Kupp likely would’ve been shelved for the rest of the game after Bell clocked him (and got flagged for it) with around 2 minutes remaining in the game.

• BSLZacKrull likes this

#1472 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:49 PM

Dumped $$ on your QB who led the league in INT's, and didn't stop throwing them in the playoffs. Pass rush certainly masks a ton of issues.

QBs that throw INTs are gun slingers, guys like Bret Farve that force passes when they should dump them off.

One of those INTs was the WR's fault, he had a hand on it and lost control, giving the ball air and and right into the defender's hands. Hard to find fault with the QB, on that play.

#1473 BSLLukeRollfinke

BSLLukeRollfinke

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:53 PM

What do we think Odell Beckham's free agency market looks like? Probably won't be able to play until late November or December at the earliest, but clearly he can still be a major difference maker for an NFL team.

@LukeRollfinke

#1474 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,501 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 February 2022 - 04:49 PM

No, I saw it. Kupp amassed 8 catches for 92 yards and 2 TDs. I mean, this isn’t the hottest take in the world to suggest Donald got jobbed out of the MVP last night. It’s just more of an indictment about how pass-happy the league’s become.

The difference in the game was the fact Aaron Donald, despite being double and triple-teamed, spent the entire evening in the Bengals backfield reducing the time Burrow had to throw the ball. And if not for his efforts on the last play of the game, the Bengals would’ve won (given Ramsey had fallen on his face).

I just think you can rightly make the same point without diminishing Kupp’s impact on the win, which was just huge.

Kupp single-handedly gave Donald that lead to protect there. He was huge that last TD drive.
  • Mackus likes this

#1475 BSLZacKrull

BSLZacKrull

CBB Analyst

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 06:41 PM

After having some time to take in the final result, I wanted to congratulate the Rams on the well earned victory over the Bengals last night. Oddly enough, even though the Rams had all of the matchup advantages and were really considered by many to be the better team, if I was a Bengals fan i would still be stick to my stomach because every opportunity was there to go and win that game. Zac Taylor is going to have nightmares for a long time about giving the ball to Semaje Perine on 3rd and one with Joe Mixon no where to be found on the field. With that being said, even though Sean McVay didn't have his best game coaching he called the right play at the most important time when his team needed it the most. The end around on 4th and 1 to Cooper Kupp was perfect, due to the fact that the Rams were still giving their best player the ball, while also doing something that the Bengals didn't expect. In the end, that paid off, the Rams were the better team and left with the W. 

#1476 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 06:51 PM

I just think you can rightly make the same point without diminishing Kupp’s impact on the win, which was just huge.

Kupp single-handedly gave Donald that lead to protect there. He was huge that last TD drive.

I'm not diminishing Kupp's impact by saying that had it not been for Aaron Donald, the Bengals might've blown the Rams out of the building. 

#1477 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 06:55 PM

I mean, google "Aaron Donald" AND "Super Bowl MVP" and there are hundreds of takes expressing the point I've been making. 

#1478 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 06:55 PM

Bengals never lead without the horrible no call on Ramsey. I dont get this blowout talk.

#1479 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,877 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 07:02 PM

I'd have voted for Donald for MVP.  I think Kupp's work on the final Ram's offensive drive was equally good and just as important as Donald's performance on the Rams final defensive drive, but prior to those two drives Donald was making the bigger impact on the game.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1480 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,501 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 February 2022 - 07:17 PM

I mean, google "Aaron Donald" AND "Super Bowl MVP" and there are hundreds of takes expressing the point I've been making.

I’m in no way saying your point isn’t valid, I get it. My initial post on this was me saying I’d have given out co-MVP’s. I just feel strongly that with the way the Rams offense had been playing since OBJ went down, they had to have Kupp step up and carry the team there, and he did. I also agree that in any close call with this kind of thing, they’ll go offense. But sorry if I’ve made you feel like your opinion is crazy or anything, I don’t feel that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=