• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,259 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:23 AM

Braves have kicked tires on Orioles star Trey Mancini. Nothing serious yet, but Braves need offense. Could be tough to trade for O’s though.

#2 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 January 2021 - 09:38 AM

They would have to overpay by so much it wouldn’t make sense and even then I’d be devastated. If they’re going to trade him at least wait until the fans get a chance to cheer his return in Baltimore.

Maybe they’d be interested in Santander instead.
  • Dr. FLK likes this

#3 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:04 AM

Since they're already trying to defer his arb. raise, along with their efforts to reduce costs across the board, I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded. And I think they'd allow to Braves to underpay, just to get the deal done.   

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,259 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 10:12 AM

Have no problem trading Mancini. 
Have no problem with an extension either.  

I suspect he'll be extended after Spring Training. 

He needs to be 1st / DH. 

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:07 AM

I suspect most teams will want to wait until Trey plays before considering trading for him.  I think we trade Trey in late July.

@mikeghg

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:09 AM

I also think other teams recognize that the Orioles are cutting cost, and figure they can get bargains on some of the players.  They recognize, Elias is selling at a discount.

@mikeghg

#7 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:36 AM

Considering the source for this is Heyman, personally, I dont put too much faith in.

Nothing to see here. :)

Move on. lol

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:51 AM

Considering the source for this is Heyman, personally, I dont put too much faith in.

Nothing to see here. :)

Move on. lol

Good point.  I think at times Heyman runs with any rumor he hears, and it would not surprise me, if he made things up.

@mikeghg

#9 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:23 PM

My guess would be they had a discussion.  What we should be asking ourselves is why.

The Braves....

1) have 2 of the top OF prospects in Baseball in Cristian Pache and Drew Waters.

2) are looking for offense

3) haven't nailed down 3B.  Currently projecting former top prospect Austin Riley, but nobody seems to like his defense anywhere.

4) don't seem committed to spending big money on guys

I've seen people try and link the Braves to Arenado, but that seems too rich for their blood.  Bryant is guy that fits the mold of the shorter, let's see what happens moves they've made the last 2 years with Donaldson and Ozuna.  The other guy that would be a crazy good fit in ATL is the Indians' switch-hitting 3B Jose Ramirez.  27, over .900 OPS 3 of last 4 years, over .800 each of last 5.  reasonably signed for 9M this year and team options for 11M and 13M the next 2.....so 3/33M for that guy....that's going to cost a haul.

Of course the Indians have just traded Lindor and have almost no money on the books but they also have one of the top 3B prospects in MLB in Nolan Jones (should have been an Oriole) waiting in the wings.  The Indians need high end OFers.

Would the Braves trade Pache and Waters for Ramirez???  That would be a monster trade for both teams....but for the Braves to do that...they need to have some OF options lined up....the Orioles have a number of OF options.

I'm not for this, just talking out loud.  If the Braves deal Riley, Vaughn Grissom, Tyler Owns and something else, they could certainly add Mancini and Santander...both cheap...to their OF.  Use Inciarte as your 4th OF with Trey and wait to see what MLB does with DH.

Mancini in LF (pending DH) with Acuna in CF and Santander in RF and then you trade high end OFers to CLE for Ramirez at 3B and ...bam....mic drop for the Braves.

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:48 AM

Braves quickly becoming my second favorite team. Follow the Cards a bit given my wife and family are from STL. But the Braves are a fun team. Will follow Markakis wherever he goes. If another star Oriole goes there, Mancini in this case, it'll put em over the top for me. 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,589 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:20 AM

Trust the process my ass. 

This is rebuild limbo. 

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Elias resign after this year. 

There is no plan in place to compete beyond getting extremely lucky and doing things we’ve done poorly for decades well all of the sudden. 

used to be after football ended I’d count down the days to opening day. I still am but it’s Ravens opening day. 

• Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,883 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:24 AM

Why would Elias resign?  He's got a big salary and zero expectations of producing on-field results.  It's a golden goose for him.

• Mike in STL and BSLRoseKatz like this

#13 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:37 AM

Trust the process my ass. 

This is rebuild limbo. 

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Elias resign after this year. 

There is no plan in place to compete beyond getting extremely lucky and doing things we’ve done poorly for decades well all of the sudden. 

used to be after football ended I’d count down the days to opening day. I still am but it’s Ravens opening day. 

I have lost all faith in this organization. If you can't give a couple ARB eligible guys their rightful salaries, sell the GD team to someone who can. 

The current plan seems to be motivate guys to play well so they can be traded/released for a real team to acquire them the next season. One year, maybe 8 or 9 guys will do that and they'll win 85 games or something. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#14 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,589 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:38 AM

Why would Elias resign?  He's got a big salary and zero expectations of producing on-field results.  It's a golden goose for him.

Because ownership is stripping the copper out of the warehouse to save money. Doesn’t seem like a good position for winning anytime soon and maybe it’s me but GMs want to win. 

• Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#15 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:40 AM

I'm sure in baseballs inner circles, it's well known that our ownership is a clown show. Couple years ago there was that report that the commissioner couldn't even reach an Orioles exec for 6 months? They had no idea who was even in charge here, or an actual point of contact. 

I think Elias could resign and other teams wouldn't hold his tenure here against him. 

But yeah. You collect a paycheck and you don't have to win a thing? Where do I sign up?

@BSLMikeRandall

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:14 AM

Because ownership is stripping the copper out of the warehouse to save money. Doesn’t seem like a good position for winning anytime soon and maybe it’s me but GMs want to win. 

I think ownership is following the exact plan he laid out.  His plan matches, how they want to run things

@mikeghg

#17 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:49 AM

I think ownership is following the exact plan he laid out. His plan matches, how they want to run things

Yep. Agree or disagree with his strategy he is the first GM with complete control of baseball operations under the Angelo’s ownership.

#18 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:00 AM

Yep. Agree or disagree with his strategy he is the first GM with complete control of baseball operations under the Angelo’s ownership.

Can we change that to almost complete control?

I think Davis still on the roster and getting paid is not something Elias is approving.

I do agree, that he has more power than other GMs previously here.

• BobPhelan likes this

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:37 AM

Yes he is.  His success or failure will rest on Elias and his team.  

@mikeghg

#20 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:39 AM

Can we change that to almost complete control?

I think Davis still on the roster and getting paid is not something Elias is approving.

I do agree, that he has more power than other GMs previously here.

Just noting that Davis gets paid no matter what, and keeping him on the roster is the only chance they have to NOT pay him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=