#21 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:42 AM

...but you requested the 3 trades, so let's go there...

apologies for not getting back to this, distracted by some of the other O's related news.

This isn't long because there's not much to discuss.

Prior to the arbitration filing deadline, both Bryant and Gray were considered possible non-tenders.  They were possible non-tenders for the same reasons that the Orioles didn't tender contracts to Nunez  and Alberto....they didn't like the value proposition of the contract versus the expected performance/value.  Ultimately both were tendered, but doesn't change the marginal value position of the players to the teams.  

Bryant: Chris and I have discussed it elsewhere and we disagree on what it would take.  If you take the 19.5M, he isn't costing you top prospects. I don't think you'd have to go as far as Mullins, Lowther and Stowers but I'll stick with that here.

Mullins, Lowther, Stowers for Bryant

Gray:  There's a number of ways to go and if they wanted a SP, I'd go Gray for Baumann, but I'd want something younger back with Gray.  Baumann > Gray.  While I like the now performance and potential upside of Gray...if they were getting much, they'd already have it. So...somebody tall and from the 2019 draft....Gavin Hollowell

Baumann for Gray and Hollowell

Odor and Gallo: They could get something decent for Gallo, but in this case, you take the negative value of Odor (12/12/3) to make the deal happen.  In order to make the deal more palatable for the Rangers and again, transition some upper players that will have opportunity challenges in this structure

Sanchez (2B offset), YDiaz and Vavre (that makes Nick sad) for Odor, Gallo and Even Carter 

----------

These are moves that bump up the NOW performance, actually add younger (LATER...again, transition of Talent) and fixes some of the challenges of the 40 (+2 spots on the 40).

The purpose of the other post was to identify the first layer of guys you're using in the next wave and they aren't in these moves.

Again, this has nothing to do with what the Orioles are doing.  

This wouldn't have been my first set of moves and there's layers of things you could do beyond this....but it's an example of what is potentially available.

#22 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,319 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:34 PM

(I have to go do something....I'll complete this shortly)

Good because your previous post had zero to do with my question...lol

#23 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:08 AM

Good because your previous post had zero to do with my question...lol

It did, but sorry for the late edit above.

#24 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,319 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:14 AM

Thanks, Dude. I think its a bit underestimating what it would take to get Bryant but the general approach isn't off.

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,242 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:02 PM

apologies for not getting back to this, distracted by some of the other O's related news.

This isn't long because there's not much to discuss.

Prior to the arbitration filing deadline, both Bryant and Gray were considered possible non-tenders.  They were possible non-tenders for the same reasons that the Orioles didn't tender contracts to Nunez  and Alberto....they didn't like the value proposition of the contract versus the expected performance/value.  Ultimately both were tendered, but doesn't change the marginal value position of the players to the teams.  

Bryant: Chris and I have discussed it elsewhere and we disagree on what it would take.  If you take the 19.5M, he isn't costing you top prospects. I don't think you'd have to go as far as Mullins, Lowther and Stowers but I'll stick with that here.

Mullins, Lowther, Stowers for Bryant

Gray:  There's a number of ways to go and if they wanted a SP, I'd go Gray for Baumann, but I'd want something younger back with Gray.  Baumann > Gray.  While I like the now performance and potential upside of Gray...if they were getting much, they'd already have it. So...somebody tall and from the 2019 draft....Gavin Hollowell

Baumann for Gray and Hollowell

Odor and Gallo: They could get something decent for Gallo, but in this case, you take the negative value of Odor (12/12/3) to make the deal happen.  In order to make the deal more palatable for the Rangers and again, transition some upper players that will have opportunity challenges in this structure

Sanchez (2B offset), YDiaz and Vavre (that makes Nick sad) for Odor, Gallo and Even Carter 

----------

These are moves that bump up the NOW performance, actually add younger (LATER...again, transition of Talent) and fixes some of the challenges of the 40 (+2 spots on the 40).

The purpose of the other post was to identify the first layer of guys you're using in the next wave and they aren't in these moves.

Again, this has nothing to do with what the Orioles are doing.  

This wouldn't have been my first set of moves and there's layers of things you could do beyond this....but it's an example of what is potentially available.

The Cubs picked up the Bryant option.  If they were solely concerned about the contract, they could have avoided that. 
I like Lowther.  If the Cubs trade Bryant, he can't be the best player they get back. 

We're giving up Baumann and his years of team control for Jon Gray? Why?  You can find a Jon Gray on the FA market still.  Gray's k's look good, and he's made 122 starts since '15.. I respect that, but he's 29 years old and more JAG then anything else. 

And you'll say, "Hey, we're also getting Hollowell."  Well, I'm not overly excited there. 

The last trade? It's Vavra, not Vavre.  I also like Vavra's potential, and looking forward to see where he slots in the system. I'm also a Diaz fan.  Those guys are certainly movable, but this trade? Meh.  Not sure it makes sense for either side. 

Odor has power, (30 homers 3x), but isn't regarded as a good fielder. In each of those seasons with 30 homers, his OPS was under .800. Not sure the $27M Texas owes Odor, is enough for them give up Gallo for just Vavra and Diaz. 

And sure, like Gallo... but he's a FA after '22.  The Orioles are going to give up all the years of control of Vavra and and Diaz... to have Gallo for '21 and '22?  '21 When he won't be enough to allow you to contend?  Not a fan for either side.   

Do appreciate you suggested names for these deals though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=