#41 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:24 PM

Former offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Scottie Montgomery has reportedly been hired as the running backs coach for the Indianapolis Colts.
@BSLZackKiesel

#42 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:34 PM

Jeff Ermann reports the Terps will hire Scott Chadwick as director of recruiting operations. He comes from the HS coaching ranks and is a MD native who spent the past few years in NC. He and Locksley were once teammates at Towson St.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#43 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 03:26 PM

Forget about Karl Scott joining the Terps. Matt Zenitz reports he's headed to the Minnesota Vikings to coach their DBs. That sucks....I think he would have made a great addition.

https://www.rollbama...ampionship-game

#44 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 01:57 PM

Scottie Montgomery will land on his feet, as the RBs coach with Indianapolis. So that makes both of last season’s coordinators who will be in the NFL.

#45 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 01:22 PM

Chance Campbell is transferring to Ole Miss. I imagine DJ Durkin being there had something to do with his choice.

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 February 2021 - 02:22 PM

Chance Campbell is transferring to Ole Miss. I imagine DJ Durkin being there had something to do with his choice.

I am still surprised Campbell left Maryland.  I hope he does well at Ole Miss though.  I have to root for the Local kids, and I watched Chance play a good bit at Calvert Hall.

@mikeghg

#47 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 February 2021 - 02:23 PM

I am also surprised how any parent can feel good about their kid going to play for Durkin.  

• BSLRoseKatz likes this
@mikeghg

#48 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 February 2021 - 04:15 AM

I am also surprised how any parent can feel good about their kid going to play for Durkin.  

I feel like I'm pretty cynical about people's willingness to do anything to win in CFB but Durkin getting a high profile job that quickly still feels pretty gross

• Mike B likes this

she/her

#49 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 12:45 PM

I feel like I'm pretty cynical about people's willingness to do anything to win in CFB but Durkin getting a high profile job that quickly still feels pretty gross

2 separate, independent investigations approaching things from 2 separate angles found that Durkin had little culpability in the matter.  Wish we would have gotten more feedback from the players at the time. They were all pretty quiet about the whole thing, by design I'm sure.  

#50 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 February 2021 - 02:20 PM

2 separate, independent investigations approaching things from 2 separate angles found that Durkin had little culpability in the matter.  Wish we would have gotten more feedback from the players at the time. They were all pretty quiet about the whole thing, by design I'm sure.  

That may be true, but speaking just as a parent, I am not sure I would let DJ through the front door.

• BSLRoseKatz likes this
@mikeghg

#51 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 03:40 PM

That may be true, but speaking just as a parent, I am not sure I would let DJ through the front door.

Certainly your right as a parent.  Obviously there are others that feel differently.  As I said it's been tough to get a good read as the players were pretty silent through all of it, but judging from other things I've read Durkin certainly had his supporters within the locker room, along with detractors as well.  The players really did an amazing job staying above the fray throughout all of that.

• Mike B likes this

#52 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 February 2021 - 01:58 PM

Baylor cornerbacks coach Brian Stewart is set to be hired as Maryland's new defensive coordinator. He was the team's defensive coordinator from 2012-2014 under Randy Edsall. He's known to run a 3-4 scheme, so it looks like they won't be moving to an even front after all. In his three years with the Terps, his defenses finished #56, #53, and #89 in the country.

Since his time at Maryland, he spent two years as Nebraska's defensive backs coach, one year as Rice's defensive coordinator, two years as the Detroit Lions' defensive backs coach, and a year as Baylor's cornerbacks coach.

@BSLZackKiesel

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 04:22 PM

Interesting hire. No "wow" factor, but Locksley obviously knows what he's getting in Stewart.

His previous UM tenure started great (#2 in the ACC in yards allowed/per game in 2012) and ended ugly, punctuated by that 2nd Half collapse against Rutgers (going head-to-head with Fridge) and a complete no-show in the bowl game vs Stanford.

They were usually pretty good at pressuring QBs under Stewart, though some of that was obviously based on talent they had up-front, several of whom made it to the NFL. Ironically, since Stewart has primarily worked with DBs in his career, outside of Will Likely and Sean Davis I can't recall any good DBs that developed under him.

#54 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 February 2021 - 04:37 PM

Interesting hire. No "wow" factor, but Locksley obviously knows what he's getting in Stewart.

His previous UM tenure started great (#2 in the ACC in yards allowed/per game in 2012) and ended ugly, punctuated by that 2nd Half collapse against Rutgers (going head-to-head with Fridge) and a complete no-show in the bowl game vs Stanford.

They were usually pretty good at pressuring QBs under Stewart, though some of that was obviously based on talent they had up-front, several of whom made it to the NFL. Ironically, since Stewart has primarily worked with DBs in his career, outside of Will Likely and Sean Davis I can't recall any good DBs that developed under him.

I seem to remember the group of DBs they had in 2013 being pretty good. Dexter McDougle, Jeremiah Johnson, Isaac Goins, and Will Likely at CB, and Anthony Nixon and Sean Davis at safety. McDougle got hurt early in that year, but the group was pretty solid as a whole.

Like you mentioned, he took what was an awful defense in 2011 (#102 in the country) and turned it around in a big way in just one year. And that included switching schemes from a 4-3 to a 3-4, which they won't have to do this year.

One thing that'll be interesting is who takes over the duties of coaching the ILBs. Stewart and Zook have primarily coached DBs as positional coaches, but one of them will have the title of ILB Coach next year.

@BSLZackKiesel

#55 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 04:41 PM

And that included switching schemes from a 4-3 to a 3-4, which they won't have to do this year.

I seem to recall seeing them run a good bit of 4-man fronts last season. I think most defenses are hybrids these days anyway. Whatever gets the right players on the field based on the situation is what really matters.

#56 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:49 PM

247Sports is reporting that Maryland is set to hire Zohn Burden to be their wide receivers coach. He’s spent the entirety of his 14-year coaching career in the state of Virginia, including most recently at Virginia Tech from 2015-2019. During his career, he’s coached running backs, wide receivers, and defensive backs. For the last two years, he started an academy that assists high school athletes to prepare for the recruiting process. He has strong ties to the talent-rich Tidewater area, somewhere Maryland has typically been unable to recruit on a consistent basis.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#57 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:07 PM

Maryland just made the following hires official:

• Ron Zook (Associate Head Coach/Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers Coach)
  • Brian Stewart (Defensive Coordinator)
  • Zohn Burden (Wide Receivers Coach)

While he isn't listed as such right now, I'd expect Stewart to take over the Safeties Coach position as well, unless they combine that into Henry Baker's duties. I'd also expect Brawley Evans to become the Inside Linebackers Coach after coaching outside linebackers for the past two years.

@BSLZackKiesel

#58 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:03 PM

I'd also expect Brawley Evans to become the Inside Linebackers Coach after coaching outside linebackers for the past two years.

Locksley confirmed this assumption regarding Evans, and also announced that tight ends coach Mike Miller will add Passing Game Coordinator to his title.

@BSLZackKiesel

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,386 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:53 PM

Is inside linebackers coach a promotion or demotion from outside linebackers coach?

#60 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,277 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:19 PM

Is inside linebackers coach a promotion or demotion from outside linebackers coach?

Excellent question. The only incoming 5-star is at ILB, so I’ll go with promotion lol
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=