#1021 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 December 2020 - 12:18 PM

What a phenonemal win the morning after.

And I know we're supposed to hate Cleveland and say nothing positive - but hats off to Stefanski and the org for getting it right finally. Stefanski is totally in rhythm with his offense now, and they are great at exploiting what is there to exploit relentlessly. Real tough team. Browns fans have a lot to be hopeful for moving forward. 

Mayfield, however, is a giant douche. I can't really ever remember Lamar begging for a flag the way Mayfield did after pretty much every play last night. 

• russsnyder likes this

#1022 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 December 2020 - 12:20 PM

I was in full blown melt down mode the 1.9 drives that McSorley was in there. Could. Not. Believe. It. Lamar made his return at the absolute perfect time to secure victory in a game they had to have, and should have had. Thank God. This would have been an all-timer in terms of miserable losses. 

• DuffMan likes this

#1023 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 12:38 PM

For the record, I was just sorta making a joke / jab at Ben for his drama... Not in any way suggesting Lamar is the same, or will be...
  • russsnyder likes this

#1024 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 December 2020 - 12:51 PM

The only thing I'll say is in the moments that he was gone not only did it feel like the game was slipping away but essentially the whole season as well. People were reacting super emotionally.

I know some people think being in a game thread excuses damn near anything typed (not thought or said in the true heat of
the moment), but I don't think that excuses saying unacceptable nonsense. But by this point, there's no excusing the refusal to recant it.

Btw, great win last night! I was rooting for y'all.
  • Mike B likes this

#1025 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 12:52 PM

I know some people think being in a game thread excuses damn near anything typed (not thought or said in the true heat of
the moment), but I don't think that excuses saying unacceptable nonsense. But by this point, there's no excusing the refusal to recant it.

Good point, and we had the same issues in the game day threads at OH.

#1026 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 December 2020 - 01:52 PM

I was in full blown melt down mode the 1.9 drives that McSorley was in there. Could. Not. Believe. It. Lamar made his return at the absolute perfect time to secure victory in a game they had to have, and should have had. Thank God. This would have been an all-timer in terms of miserable losses. 

It was an all time miserable loss.  Did you see the reaction of the Browns fans?  Damn shame.

• russsnyder likes this
@mikeghg

#1027 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 01:57 PM

For the record, I was just sorta making a joke / jab at Ben for his drama... Not in any way suggesting Lamar is the same, or will be...

I knew that, I appreciated the opportunity to bash Ben.

• Ravens2006 likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1028 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 01:58 PM

It was an all time miserable loss.  Did you see the reaction of the Browns fans?  Damn shame.

Yeah, they filed out of that stadium in stunned silence.

It was beautiful.

#1029 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 02:29 PM

Everyone melts down in different ways. He's been a Lamar supporter. I honestly dont see much difference between what he said and someone dropping in with a generic "Lamar sucks" as their emotional meltdown. Being extremely judgemental when someone is at their emotional irrational worst isn't fair but you do you.

#1030 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 December 2020 - 03:10 PM

Everyone melts down in different ways. He's been a Lamar supporter. I honestly dont see much difference between what he said and someone dropping in with a generic "Lamar sucks" as their emotional meltdown. Being extremely judgemental when someone is at their emotional irrational worst isn't fair but you do you.

You really don't see much of a difference between some Lamar sucks comment after he makes a bad play and saying you've lost all respect for Lamar, a clear gamer, because he left a game due to a physical issue? Seriously?

Someone is at their emotional irrational worst after the Ravens won the game? The next day? Because he still hasn't said my bad.

So yes, I will judge despicable comments when despicable comments are made. And yes, if someone calms down and owns up to those comments, I will add that to this judgement.

Otherwise, sorry that I don't think game threads are places of total immunity. When people are emotional or drunk, sometimes you get more of a window into their character. For instance, a long time ago I was watching Rampage defeat Chuck Liddell, and one friend called Rampage an F'ing N word in the moment. So that's not cool and while I can view it differently than if he said it in another context, he shouldn't get immunity for that crap. It also does reveal something about him because there are a fair amount of people who would never go there regardless of what condition they're in.

On that note, typing into a message board isn't even the same as talking out loud in the moment. One reason why we know that beyond the obvious difference is that what I described or something similar doesn't happen here or in my experience at OH, but I guarantee it has happened. Posters just have the ability to filter those types of remarks when they go and type and click submit.

Beyond that, this wasn't one terrible post during one terrible moment type of thing. It was thought out, repeated, and defended, and has not been apologized for. It's an awful look and yes I will do me and judge it. You will do you and judge me for this while defending awful behavior.

#1031 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 December 2020 - 03:43 PM

And I know we're supposed to hate Cleveland and say nothing positive - but hats off to Stefanski and the org for getting it right finally. Stefanski is totally in rhythm with his offense now, and they are great at exploiting what is there to exploit relentlessly. Real tough team. Browns fans have a lot to be hopeful for moving forward. 

Mayfield, however, is a giant douche. I can't really ever remember Lamar begging for a flag the way Mayfield did after pretty much every play last night. 

I don't know why I love the Browns as constructed (outside of the fact that they are the Browns), but man, that team is a blast to watch. And I kinda like that they have a douchey QB, specifically so that I can hate them.

But Baker's commercials are -awesome- and because of that, I can't even hate him -that- much.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1032 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 03:52 PM

I don't know why I love the Browns as constructed (outside of the fact that they are the Browns), but man, that team is a blast to watch. And I kinda like that they have a douchey QB, specifically so that I can hate them.

But Baker's commercials are -awesome- and because of that, I can't even hate him -that- much.

Baker is likeable in those commercials.

He seems to be a get under your skin kind of guy on the field. 

#1033 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 15 December 2020 - 04:07 PM

Baker is likeable in those commercials.

He seems to be a get under your skin kind of guy on the field. 

I've admittedly liked Baker pretty much from jump. He seems to be right on the "right side" of douchey, if that makes sense. Hard to put it into words. He's not the Rivers/Brady level of douche, just...a little irritating, but ultimately good for the sport, and his teammates love him. Kinda like the difference between Ochocinco and TO. 

#1034 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 15 December 2020 - 06:36 PM

Your memory is different from mine, but the one or two plays I recall him talking to the officials, he had legitimate gripes.  I don't really mind players asking for a call in general, but especially not if there was a clear penalty.

#1035 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 06:45 PM

You didn't question anything. You declared you had lost all respect for him because you knew he was being soft.

It was a horrible, horrible take. That you still haven't abandoned it is ridiculous.

I said I lost respect for Lamar, not "all respect". Yes, there is a difference. And I said he was soft. I was wrong on both accounts. I also said I take back everything I said, said he made a phenomenal play... oh, and you know, have been one of his biggest supporters, and have defended him non-stop since before he was even drafted by the Ravens.. Last night was a poor, emotional take. I saw our season going down the drain, in large part because our best player pulled himself out of the game at its peak importance, for cramping.

I thought it strange Lamar was leaving at a crucial time for cramps, but knowing Lamar's character I knew it had to be something serious for him to miss time at that point in the game. I don't know why people would be so quick to criticize him without the relevant info. What if it had come out that he'd broken his foot or something?

What was odd was that the Ravens didn't have McSorley warming up when it was obvious Lamar was going to miss game action...at least according to the sidelines reporters. That told me they knew that it wasn't anything serious and that Lamar would be back.

I stated if it was something more serious I'd recant. Im sorry, cramping just sounds like a weak injury. I forgot about LeBron. Thought it was weak for him too. And I love LeBron. Regardless, I shouldn't have tied it to Lamar's toughness. Regret that.
  • 1970 and JStruds like this

#1036 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 06:45 PM

First time coming back since my last comment. It was a poor take. I admit that. Have always loved Lamar, been a huge fan since his freshman year at Loiusville. Still a fan. Never once questioned his talent, work ethic, athleticism, really any of his abilities. I made comments about his toughness. Guy missed almost the whole second half with leg cramps. He came back and did what he does, put the team on his back and won it. I've already said it was a poor take. I'll say it again.

You really don't see much of a difference between some Lamar sucks comment after he makes a bad play and saying you've lost all respect for Lamar, a clear gamer, because he left a game due to a physical issue? Seriously?

Someone is at their emotional irrational worst after the Ravens won the game? The next day? Because he still hasn't said my bad.

So yes, I will judge despicable comments when despicable comments are made. And yes, if someone calms down and owns up to those comments, I will add that to this judgement.

Otherwise, sorry that I don't think game threads are places of total immunity. When people are emotional or drunk, sometimes you get more of a window into their character. For instance, a long time ago I was watching Rampage defeat Chuck Liddell, and one friend called Rampage an F'ing N word in the moment. So that's not cool and while I can view it differently than if he said it in another context, he shouldn't get immunity for that crap. It also does reveal something about him because there are a fair amount of people who would never go there regardless of what condition they're in.

On that note, typing into a message board isn't even the same as talking out loud in the moment. One reason why we know that beyond the obvious difference is that what I described or something similar doesn't happen here or in my experience at OH, but I guarantee it has happened. Posters just have the ability to filter those types of remarks when they go and type and click submit.

Beyond that, this wasn't one terrible post during one terrible moment type of thing. It was thought out, repeated, and defended, and has not been apologized for. It's an awful look and yes I will do me and judge it. You will do you and judge me for this while defending awful behavior.

Not really sure what you're on about. The insinuations in your example are disrespectful, despicable, and unwarranted. Not sure why you chose that example, this 100% has nothing to do with race. I said I lost respect for a guy because he pulled himself out of the biggest moment of the season for leg cramps. Didnt lose "all respect" as has been widely misquoted. It wasn't thought out. Not sure how long it takes for you to type something, but that sentence and tap took all of about maybe 15 seconds total. Never defended saying it. Actually said I take it back, complimented his play the rest of the game, and said I could forgive him. Was it emotionally charged? yes. Was it wrong? Yes. Do I regret saying it, sure. I love Lamar. My literally hundreds of posts defending him and talking him up, and complimenting him should be more than enough to prove that. First time visiting this game thread since my last post. Sorry I don't live here. All the other posts were within an hour, and my last was simply asking why I couldn't question a guys toughness for a relatively mild to barely moderate physical ailment that many others have played through. Is that unfair, probably. Its all moot. If it offends you that much, I apologize. Lamar is the man. I've said it from day one and will continue to say it.

In the end, you don't know me personally. You know literally nothing about me or my life. Feel free to make whatever judgements you want of me from like, 2 or 3 posts out of thousands on a message board, that weren't even that bad. I owe you nothing. I do apologize for making emotionally charged posts that were off the mark. Lamar is our best player, by far. Even saying I lost some respect for him, I never doubted his ability or talent. In fact its the exact opposite. I was upset because I KNEW he was our only chance to win, and he was nowhere to be found. In the end, I jumped the gun. He came back and did what he does. Put the team on his back and took over.
  • JordanKough likes this

#1037 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 06:54 PM

I think its important to get one thing settled and clear here....

LeBron is indeed soft.

#1038 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 06:57 PM

Appreciate you walking back the comments.

I still think you're dramatically off base on how severe cramping can be, which probably played in to your reaction.  Most vivid memory I have of an athlete cramping is Tony Delk in the Final 4.  You could literally see the cramp in his leg on TV, it almost looked like he had a bone out of place it was so bad.  If you think it's only a "barely moderate problem", you're completely wrong.  It can be relatively minor, but it can also be completely debilitating.

#1039 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 06:58 PM

Tennis players have completely locked up from cramps. Long distance runners too. Can be pretty scary to see.

#1040 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 07:12 PM

I think its important to get one thing settled and clear here....

LeBron is indeed soft.

Still the second best basketball player ever.😁

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=